Charging price for aerial photography
1598 14 2015-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkyGlider
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23743 ft
United Kingdom

I was recently asked would i be able to take some aerial photos of land etc. I am using a phantom 3 standard. I'm just looking to know what i should charge for the photos? I'm assuming they'd be a4 size or something. Thanks
2015-12-9
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

Where are you located? I would check local laws and regulations governing commercial use
2015-12-9
Use props
Buy Low
lvl.2

United States

Jkeller84 Posted at 2015-12-9 13:53
Where are you located? I would check local laws and regulations governing commercial use

what does that have to do with the price he might charge?  I hate when someone asks a question and the first response is out in left field.  Help this guy out with his question.  If he wanted legal advise he'd probably ask for it.
2015-12-9
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Buy Low Posted at 2015-12-9 17:01
what does that have to do with the price he might charge?  I hate when someone asks a question and ...

Excuse me for trying to help him prevent something that could get him in some deep trouble. Excuse me for trying to help people do what is right for hobby that I enjoy. *CONTENT EDITED BY MOD FOR OFFENSIVE CONTENT*
If you dont know what this has to do with his question, then you might google what it means for something to be used for "commercial use"
2015-12-9
Use props
PeteDin206
lvl.1

United States

Don't "charge" for the photo itself, but the editing time.  Just go shoot for fun and then provide them with the service of editing for a fee.*

*I'm not a lawyer, nor do I know enough about the law to know if this will actually work but theoretically it should be fine.  
2015-12-9
Use props
agrewe
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Buy Low Posted at 2015-12-9 22:01
what does that have to do with the price he might charge?  I hate when someone asks a question and ...

Problem is, he's probably not aware of the legal implications of what he's going to do, his question isn't in any way indicating that he is. Assuming he's based in the UK as his profile indicates he actually needs a (fairly expensive) licence to do any for profit work.
Or in other words, jkeller84 is perfectly right in making him aware of having to check about the legal requirements for any professional work.
The penalties for not following the rules can be quite severe, way higher than any money he's likely to make from taking the pictures.
2015-12-9
Use props
SkyGlider
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23743 ft
United Kingdom

This is just an independent project between me and the gentleman who requested me to take the photos. I don't have a license, and i have not used the drone for commercial purposes, so this is new to me. I am an experienced pilot and obviously the guy trusts me to take the shots as he has seen examples.
2015-12-9
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SkyGlider Posted at 2015-12-9 18:32
This is just an independent project between me and the gentleman who requested me to take the photos ...

So yeah, then take the photos and send him the file as a donation. Have him pay to print them if he wants prints.
2015-12-9
Use props
FlyboyNC
lvl.2

United States

I still don't see a figure listed above in any of the posts. In my area of the US, typical drone pilots charge between $300-$400 for 25-30 photos. A point of interest video runs about $100 extra. If he is a friend or a friend of the family, charge him $100 for your time. That is more than reasonable.
2015-12-9
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There's no simple answer.
It  depends on the time and difficulty involved and how important the imagery is to the client.
2015-12-9
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

PeteDin206 Posted at 2015-12-10 10:09
Don't "charge" for the photo itself, but the editing time.  Just go shoot for fun and then provide t ...

I must have seen that nonsense repeated 1000 times in forums and it's still wrong.
Anyone that thinks the FAA etc is silly enough to be duped so easily, is dumber than they think  the FAA etc is.
2015-12-9
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Jkeller84 Posted at 2015-12-10 09:04
Excuse me for trying to help him prevent something that could get him in some deep trouble. Excuse  ...

But it's not what he asked.
He may or may not be aware - but you've assumed.
You didn't tell him to read the manual, avoid trees, make sure his battery was full.
These are all important too - but not what was asked.
2015-12-9
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-12-9 21:02
But it's not what he asked.
He may or may not be aware - but you've assumed.
You didn't tell him t ...

It certainly does answer his question. If he lives in an area that requires a commercial license to obtain a profit from flying one of these, the answer is $0
2015-12-9
Use props
PeteDin206
lvl.1

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-12-9 17:59
I must have seen that nonsense repeated 1000 times in forums and it's still wrong.
Anyone that thin ...

A) I didn't say it was accurate, but as long as you aren't flying in a NFZ the FAA probably isn't going to get involved.

B) Had he not asked the forum, he probably could have taken the shots without anyone knowing.

C)  The FAA would have to prove you were paid for the work.  It really wouldn't be that hard to get paid in cash or even gift cards to avoid any record of the transaction.

But again I'm not a lawyer and could care less if he shoots a photo for some friends, I'm just giving him some "dumb" ideas to go with the "dumb" rules.
2015-12-9
Use props
astrostar
lvl.3
United Kingdom

SkyGlider Posted at 2015-12-9 23:32
This is just an independent project between me and the gentleman who requested me to take the photos ...

I don't think the CAA would define this as an 'independent project' This is what they have to say...

'If you intend to use an unmanned aircraft for any kind of commercial activity, you must get a ‘Permission’ from the Civil Aviation Authority, or you could face prosecution. For more details, visit www.caa.co.uk/uas'

Please tread carefully as the consequences can be onerous.
2015-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules