Tested: Inspire 1 X3 on OSMO
1243 6 2015-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drew Vallejo
lvl.3
United States

Hey guys,
I just wanted to do a quick writeup on the Inspire 1 X3 and first impressions on the OSMO, since I was impatient and have both cameras now. I know a few of you are chomping at the bit to receive those DJI promised handheld only kits (since we saw them last year!)and start getting those buttery smooth shots like in all those OSMO video promos.
I’m sure all of you who are waiting, have been looking over at the OSMO forums and have seen all the main problems bugging the OSMO today. After the recent update and a chance to test both cameras against one another, I can say from my experience:
-      Both cameras still at this point have gimbal drift
-      Both X3’s are still finicky at recording 1080p @ 60fps (crashes at times)
-      Both cameras make the same amount of noise
-      Both cameras have minor bugs that cause either the app or records to crash at random.
-      Both will require an external mic to record usable audio
-      Both don’t render out 360 panoramas @ full resolution (only thumbnails)

Aside from this, as expected, both X3’s perform very similarly in terms of picture and quality. The only notable difference I will say, is that the Inspire X3 does seem to feel more agile when maneuvering (using the joystick) than the OSMO’s X3. Now, this could be all in my head but without changing button sensitivity I can feel a difference.  
All in all, finally having an opportunity to test both cameras gave me a chance to come to terms with the idea that, like with our Inspires, it will take more time for DJI to work out the minor bugs and make this product amazing. The OSMO can be great as long as you keep your expectations low and are patient while DJI slowly rolls out updates and applies fixes. This is not a finished product as we hoped. With that said though, I still love mine!

*****In addition, If anyone is interested further, I also put together some test footage (nothing scientific) and a look through the menus on both. Hope this helps.
-Drew

https://youtu.be/i_MR0lHPkpQ

2015-12-9
Use props
darmino
lvl.2
Flight distance : 615230 ft
United States

Do you have the option to record 1080p at 120fps with the Inspire X3? Or is that only available with the OSMO X3?
Thanks for the info.
2015-12-9
Use props
petevandra
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6939 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks for the info Drew.
Like many others I really wanted an Osmo and ordered a handle only back in October but have since cancelled the order because I am impatient!!!  I decided to go with the Osmo X3 and handle and work out the audio and other issues later.  When I went to pick it up I discovered that the phone holder was not big enough to take my iPhone 6+ which has a thin case on it.  I wasn't going to pay $1099 Australian for something that I'd have to take my phone cover off when I wanted to use it.  This was the deal breaker for me.  I have let DJI know (probably a waste of time) and hopefully they will make the next version with a larger holder or some third party will make one. If anyone else has worked out a solution for this I'd appreciate a post.
Unfortunately no DJI Xmas present for me!!!!: :
2015-12-9
Use props
Drew Vallejo
lvl.3
United States

darmino Posted at 2015-12-10 09:07
Do you have the option to record 1080p at 120fps with the Inspire X3? Or is that only available with ...

You have the option to record 1080 @120fps on the OSMO using the inspire 1 X3. As for when it is on the Inspire, that option is gone. Keep in mind that 1080 @ 120fps only outputs a 30fps video. You don't get to edit the 120fps video yourself so a lot of detail can be lost and flexibility.
2015-12-9
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm still waiting for my handle kit.
2015-12-9
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Thanks for your review! We defenetly will make an improvements
2015-12-9
Use props
darmino
lvl.2
Flight distance : 615230 ft
United States

Drew Vallejo Posted at 2015-12-9 17:27
You have the option to record 1080 @120fps on the OSMO using the inspire 1 X3. As for when it is o ...

Thanks again for the info.
2015-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules