Ground station question
1592 11 2014-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stevechads
New

United States

Hi

I've been using the ground station in the Vision 2 plus app today. I set waypoints and hit go and the quad started the mission. The 4 waypoints were on the map with lines between them showing the intended course. I lost wifi connection and all the lines and waypoints disappeared from the map. Is this normal?

Secondly, when I regained wifi signal the waypoints seemed to appear at different points on the map and with different numbers. The lines between them weren't as I had entered them either. By the end of the mission my waypoint 1 had become waypoint 7 on the map (even though the whole mission only had 4 waypoints).

All that said the bird did complete the mission as directed but it was a bit scary when the ground station map seemed to suggest it was going to fly in all sorts of directions when ever wifi connection returned.
2014-12-26
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I had that problem once and had a fly away. Never got to the bottom of why.
But noticed a error message when it decided to do its own thing "failed to load GPS, trying again"
It did come back home, thankfully.
2014-12-27
Use props
stevechads
New

United States

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2014-12-27 16:52
I had that problem once and had a fly away. Never got to the bottom of why.
But noticed a error mess ...

I got an error message "failed to load GS" which I assumed meant "failed to load ground station".  Only appeared momentarily.  Could this be what yours said as well rather than GPS?
2014-12-28
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Its normal for ground station to 're download' waypoints after a disconnect. I have never had the waypoints  re downloded be different from the mission. The waypoints are re downloaded to show the correct flight telemetry. I don't think they are downloaded they are really just redisplayed along with the new info from the phantom, as it will have moved since the connection was lost.

What worries me is the fact it made new ones. I have not seen this on my system.

Some questions.
What was the distance between waypoints.
How far away was the last waypoint away from the home position.
Which way point did you lose connection.
Is there anything about the topography remember exactly. I'm just curious about power lines or other stuff that might have given it a brainfart.
2014-12-28
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

stevechads@hotm Posted at 2014-12-29 06:07
I got an error message "failed to load GS" which I assumed meant "failed to load ground station".  ...

I possibly may of mis read,. Convinced it did say "GPS  failed to load, trying to 're load" I have done many extensive tests with props off, and not reproduced the error. In fact it's flawless, except the compass flicks around which is my tablets fault, as is perfect  on my smart phone.
2014-12-28
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I believe that this behavior is a flaw in the software.  I can't think of any reason to re-upload the waypoints when the Phantom flies back into range but that does appear to be what it does in the current version.
2014-12-28
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

kenargo Posted at 2014-12-29 07:16
I believe that this behavior is a flaw in the software.  I can't think of any reason to re-upload th ...

Yes,so I absolutely make sure it knows home, and double check the map.
2014-12-28
Use props
stevechads
New

United States

The distance between waypoints was probably no wore than 150 metres and the furthest one was perhaps 350 metres away from home position.  I lost connection by the time it got to the first waypoint.  Connection then sporadically returned and whenever it did the positions of the waypoints and the lines between them weren't the same as when I started.  At one point the aircraft symbol was on the map and moving along the right path but the line that should be under it on the map wasn't there.

Topography is perfect for flying - totally flat and probably 20km from the nearest electricity source of any kind.

What was the strangest thing was that waypoint 1 was being labelled waypoint 7 by the time it returned and completed the mission.

I don't understand why the software removes the waypoints from the map when you loose connection anyway.  What purpose does this serve?

I have tried ground station since and it did work fine.
2014-12-29
Use props
mark_turner6920
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1129 ft
United Kingdom

When doing the ground station setup after setting the way points up etc, do you put the phantom in the air 1st then press start or press start on the ground and let it take off itself? Thanks
2014-12-29
Use props
stevechads
New

United States

Let it take off from the ground
2014-12-30
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

mark_turner6920 Posted at 2014-12-30 14:32
When doing the ground station setup after setting the way points up etc, do you put the phantom in t ...

Are you saying you can start missions from the air ?
2014-12-30
Use props
mark_turner6920
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1129 ft
United Kingdom

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2014-12-30 17:15
Are you saying you can start missions from the air ?

I thought i would try the ground station out and give it a go, I got the way points all set up checked everything then pressed start, the phantom then took off but didn't get airborne it kind of flipped itself onto a side, hence why I asked my question if should get it airborne then press start. Is this making sense?
2014-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules