Phantom 2 operation with bent rotor arm
3756 6 2014-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kenton.green
New

United States

I recently crashed my Phantom 2, and bent one of the four plastic rotor arms. It was bent severely enough that the blade would impact the housing on top, however the plastic body/housing was not structurally broken. The bend was at the narrowest part of the arm, and was between 5-10 degrees. I partially disassembled that arm, and managed to 'bend it back' (down) somewhat without breaking (or weakening, I hope) the plastic. The blade now no longer hits the housing, however it rotates much closer to the top of the housing than original. That is, the blade no longer rotates in a horizontal plane parallel to the body seam (its about 2 degrees, after my fix). The P2 still works, I've flown it and it functions. However, my question is, will a 'tipped' rotor cause some other problem I should be aware of/consider? Also, is there some way to bend back bent plastic, or to mend cracked plastic?
Thanks,
Ken

2014-12-27
Use props
maipenrai2
lvl.1

Thailand

why risk your craft for a piece of plastic ??
2014-12-27
Use props
momochi
lvl.2

United States

"However, my question is, will a 'tipped' rotor cause some other problem I should be aware of/consider? Also, is there some way to bend back bent plastic, or to mend cracked plastic?"

The answer to that is yes. The IMU is designed to control the Phantom motors in flight based on the design of the body. Once you have changed the design, in this case by bending the airframe, you have altered the way the motor effects flight. This will cause the IMU to try and counter that off thrust with the other 3 motors. This slight divergence can cause flight problems. Even though it seems to fly ok now, you are making the IMU work harder as well as the other motors to maintain normal flight. maipenrai2 is right "Why risk your craft for a piece of plastic." Replace the 2 body shells and the prop. About $60.00 for the shells. $15.00 for the props. Plastic as well as metals, have memory and will keep the change it has experienced. The only way to truly fix it is by replacement.
I wish you luck. Keep flying safely.
2014-12-27
Use props
kenton.green
New

United States

Thanks MaipenRai2 and MoMoChi. I am continuing to fly it as is (I have the bent arm pretty close to straight), but i appreciate that it is harder on the hardware and drains the battery more quickly, so I would like to order the plastic shell. Unfortunatelly, I can't find the link to the plastic shell or the props?
Thanks,
Ken
2014-12-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

kenton.green@gm Posted at 2014-12-28 06:48
Thanks MaipenRai2 and MoMoChi. I am continuing to fly it as is (I have the bent arm pretty close to  ...

What Phantom do you have,  Phantom 2, Phantom 2 vision plus or the version 3 of the Phantom?
2014-12-27
Use props
kenton.green
New

United States

I have a Phantom 2. Although I said that in the title and in my first post, is it too repetitive to continue to re-state it in each answer?
Thanks for asking Gerry1124,
Ken
2014-12-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

kenton.green@gm Posted at 2014-12-28 07:12
I have a Phantom 2. Although I said that in the title and in my first post, is it too repetitive to  ...

search for "phantom 2 shell body" in Ebay.  They have many from authorized from $50  to about $75.
There is a difference from the Phantom 2 body and the Phantom 2 Vision plus body.  That's why I was asking, so I would search for the correct one for you.
2014-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules