P3A Gimbal going crazy and making grinding sound
4070 11 2015-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JcP3A
lvl.1

Curaçao

Yesterday DJI Go got updated to 2.4.3.

This morning I made a very short test near my house to check that this version resolved the issue of the Flight Log crashing the app: it is fixed.
As there are too many buildings, interference and today it is windy I flew only a 3 minutes but without any problem besides losing the video.

This afternoon I went out and made a long flight: no problem before and during take off. The flight was a test flight: with 2.4.2 I was getting "DJI Go has stopped working".
I was not recording, did not take any picture but watching for any pop-up message and looking at the P3A as I read about vibrations with the new firmware: my P3A is updated to the latest firmware (the bird and the remote). I did not notice anything strange with mine and I did not get any "DJI Go has stopped working" error.
After 12 minutes I came back at close range and during a low pass I noticed that the camera was not pointing straight but to the left. I landed, turned of the P3A, had a look at it and did not see anything strange. I powered it up, the gimbal made her little dance as usual without anything out the ordirnary.
At the end of the dance the camera was pointing to the right. Thinking of a gimbal calibration issue I took off and finished my flight (5 minutes).

After landing I powered everything down and went back to my car to see what to do. I powered the P3A to see if the camera would return to its normal pointing direction. After the power up dance the gimbal started to make a grinding noise and went crazy (like the starting dance) with an horrible grinding noise. It did not stop doing it and I powered down everything.

What is the next step?

Jean-Claude
2015-12-12
Use props
cacollins0220
lvl.2
Flight distance : 294016 ft
United States

I had the same problem.

talked to support, had to return the P3P and get a new one. the Gimbal motor broke. No way around it.
2015-12-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

When you say 'grinding noise', is the camera vibrating? If so, it can be fixed by an adjustment, but unfortunately it has to go back to DJI to be performed.
2015-12-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

When you say 'grinding noise', is the camera vibrating? If so, it can be fixed by an adjustment, but unfortunately it has to go back to DJI to be performed.
2015-12-13
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1140725 ft
United States

Hello There,
ok ok so here it is: STOP DO NOT SEND IT .. just-say-in small set screw on gimbal arm is loose .. and has slipped down a bit .. 10 seconds to fix .. put blue lock tite on the treads it will not happin again...!!! ;-)
2015-12-13
Use props
JcP3A
lvl.1

Curaçao

Thanks guys,

Geebax: I wouldn't say that it is vibratting, it's gone totally berserk.

mdazel: I think the problem is a little worse that that. When I first noticed the camera pointing to the left during a low overpass I landed, no strange noise that I noticed.
I poered down/up the P3A, the gimbal did its initialization dance without me noticing any strange noise but this time the camera was pointing right. I finished my battery and called it quits for the day.
Back to my car I double checked: on power up the gimbal did it initialization with a grinding noise and after the trumpet sound and the da-dit-dit the gimbal kept going like during initialization with no end in sight.
Something like that:

Today I made another test and things got much better: instead of going completely insane it stays in an horizontal position but keeps yawing endlessly between left and right, not violently as before and thus with a much lower grinding noise.

I don't want to void the warranty but at the same time it seems like I would have to send the whole bird back, not the camera by itself.
I will see what DJI replies on the forum.

mdazel: do you have any pointer on the procedure? Videos if possible.

Thanks, Jean-Claude
2015-12-13
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

JcP3A Posted at 2015-12-13 22:03
Thanks guys,

Hi , Jean-Claude
Hate to say but please send aircraft back as soon as possilbe .
2015-12-13
Use props
Ithacus
lvl.2

United States

OUCH   that looks painful...being as it is a computer it very might well be an issue with FW. Roll back then reinstall the version you are now using. I had, not the same but similar and it curred my bird. other times I repeatedly in a row (5-6 times) calibrated
2015-12-13
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3
United States

JcP3A Posted at 2015-12-13 08:03
Thanks guys,

hello there,
first time I have had time to make time to get time .. oh sorry after watching that could not think straight .. any way mine did the same thing and My tech guy told me what it was and walked me through the fix .. at the top of the gimbal arm there is a set screw he had me back it out apply blue loctite to said set screw push the arm up tight and put the screw back in and tighten it up and it was fixed got the techs name form DJI and he is fast and gives great service .. show him the video don`t take my word for it will save you a ton of time .. check-it  
link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1488547618072392/?_rdr=p
link: https://squareup.com/market/uav-repair-shop

let me know if it helped say hi to Hani for me he is my / the sUAS tech guy in the us for shure...!!! ;-)
2015-12-15
Use props
JcP3A
lvl.1

Curaçao

That's magic !!!

Thanks a million mdazel. I could not see the first link as I do not have facebook and do not plan to do so. I went to the UAV page but before contacting them I just googled and found this video:

which shows where the screw is. I got a 1.5 mm allen key, tightened the screw while being careful that the arm did not touch anything. I, turned on the P3A and no buzzing sound, no gimbal craziness .
I just have to find some blue loctite and make a real test.

DJI: instead of telling people to send back the Phantom why not point to this little magic trick. Why not put blue loctite at the factory  and have P3 owner enjoy flying instead of having heart attacks.

Thanks again to mdazel.

Jean-Claude
2015-12-15
Use props
mdazel
lvl.3
United States

JcP3A Posted at 2015-12-15 09:22
That's magic !!!

Thanks a million mdazel. I could not see the first link as I do not have facebook  ...

Hello there,
you may want to tell Hani the thank you .. I appreciate the chance to help by sharing / to pass on the fix he offered me for FREE .. the man is a caring fare minded soul and deserves the thank you if it is not to much to ask of you .. just-say-in...!!! ;-)

on a side note: who would of thought .. right right ..!! he can fix most any thing he has many parts in stock .. for all models and will do custom work as well so fare on his pricing ..!!

on a side note: Phantom Pilots baned me for recomeding Hani at uavrepair .. when so many did not want to wate for a long repair sending in the bird I told them I get nothing from Hani  and get no finacal gain was just trying to help the pilots looking for help .. and I got his name from DJI .. made up some bulls**t story I was spaming there users and baned me for a month any way .. I have no intetions of going back in my opiion they may not be there so pilots can share all info like here .. to help each other out .. agin we need to share all info so all pilots can keep flying .. may be looking at there bottom line instead of what is in there users / pilots best intrest and they make money for advertizing and did not want me sharing any thing for free so a BIG thank you to DJI for alowing us pilots to share on thire site THANK YOU DJI from m_dazel...!!! ;-)

2015-12-15
Use props
djiuser_oTv3hGIuCnRL
New

Canada

mdazel Posted at 2015-12-13 01:33
Hello There,
ok ok so here it is: STOP DO NOT SEND IT .. just-say-in small set screw on gimbal arm is loose .. and has slipped down a bit .. 10 seconds to fix .. put blue lock tite on the treads it will not happin again...!!! ;-)

Thank you so much for the share, I was in panic mode for nothing. What an easy fix.
2022-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules