887 4 2015-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have any of you ever been approached by a law enforcement agency to use your bird to assist on an operation or a scene photo job? I understand a 333 holder may not operate in that capacity and it would be a violation of the exemption.  I also understand a public agency may apply for a COA using their own aircraft and pilot.

My question: do you know of any legal approach for a police agency to ask and use the help of a 333 holder and are you aware of any agency doing this?
2015-12-12
Use props
mmassar64
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176335 ft
United States

It really depends how you word and what you include when you file for the 333. You have to give the application for which you are applying so alots depends on you application for the 333.
2015-12-12
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

mmassar64@gmail Posted at 2015-12-12 19:13
It really depends how you word and what you include when you file for the 333. You have to give the  ...

I should have stated I have a 333. Your response prompted me to go back and review approved requests and I saw many included law enforcement in their application. Never considered small police departments may not purchase UAVs but may approach a 333 holder for an assist. I am filing an amendment to do so. Thanks.
2015-12-13
Use props
Thekameleon
lvl.1

United States

You can absolutely provide services to law enforcement and other public safety personnel as long as you specifically stated that in your application and you were approved for it by the FAA.  With that said, if you did not specify file that in your initial 333 filing, just submit an addendum like you would if you were adding a new aircraft type. One thing the city or town attorney's will want to see is that you have liability insurance (which you should have anyway).
2015-12-13
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thekameleon Posted at 2015-12-13 16:07
You can absolutely provide services to law enforcement and other public safety personnel as long as  ...

Yeap. an oversight that I corrected today by filing a request to amend my 333. Absolutely on insurance; have a $500,000 aviation liability policy, no reputable client will do business with you w/o it. Thanks.
2015-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules