Second Monitor
23168 38 2015-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FabricioE
lvl.3

Venezuela

Would be nice if there is a second way to watch what is going on in the display as a second monitor.

If you are in a shooting you want to show the frame to the DP or director. I'm not saying to leaving them the control of the camera, just to show them the shot, live vew of it.
2015-12-13
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

I've been wanting s feature like this as well. As of now there is not a way to do it. Hopefully in the future they will make it available.
2015-12-13
Use props
setiawan3d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7861 ft
Indonesia

Love to have this capability as well.

Theoretically the only way to do this is to mirror your Android / iOS screen.
Unfortunately, I just tried few ways of Android-cast application, and none of them works with my phone even for standard casting (Meizu M2 Note)

Set
2015-12-13
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, all the live view can only support one device right now, so I guess you just want to have a live stream function, right? What do you think about the Youtube Live streaming? Since the Osmo is using your device's wifi connection, the live stream will be totally implemented by mobile data!
2015-12-13
Use props
FabricioE
lvl.3

Venezuela

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-12-14 02:11
Hi, all the live view can only support one device right now, so I guess you just want to have a live ...

No, I mean the capability of having a second monitor in the field. Without using any Internet streaming.
2015-12-14
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

FabricioE Posted at 2015-12-15 04:34
No, I mean the capability of having a second monitor in the field. Without using any Internet stre ...

So you mean you want to connect the Osmo wifi with two devices at the same time?
2015-12-14
Use props
FabricioE
lvl.3

Venezuela

DJI-Amy Posted at 2015-12-14 21:25
So you mean you want to connect the Osmo wifi with two devices at the same time?

But, not necessary two monitors or two apps that control it.

What if with one device you actually can watch and control the Osmo (as the actual app) and also you can connect via WiFi ANOTHER device to monitor it (just to see the frame, the image, not to control the camera or the gimbal).

Imaging a shooting set. The camera man is using the app that controls the Osmo but the director or DP would need a monitor to watch the shot or the frame.
2015-12-15
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

FabricioE Posted at 2015-12-16 01:08
But, not necessary two monitors or two apps that control it.

What if with one device you actuall ...

Alright, I understand your need now, I  will tell your need to the corresponding engineers. We will consider your suggestion seriously.
2015-12-15
Use props
FabricioE
lvl.3

Venezuela

Any progress on this?
2016-4-30
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Please this is badly needed - especially with the new X5 Adapters & OSMO PRO / RAW.

Just another device connection but to act as a dumb slave (cannot control anything just sees the wifi picture)

Thanks
2016-4-30
Use props
doudas
lvl.2
Germany

Indeed! +1 Very Needed
2016-4-30
Use props
creative noodle
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40446 ft
United States

I use a device called CamRanger on my DSLR that does this. The CamRanger allows me to control my camera through a WiFi connection just like the DJI Go App and if I want the client to preview my images or even see a live-view screen of what is in front of the lens, they simply have to download a separate app on the app store and it works great. Not sure if there are any technical reasons why the Osmo couldn't do this, but if the CamRanger can handle it (it's just a simple DP Link device with special firmware, I believe), I would think the Osmo should be able to accomplish the same feat... Curious to see this develop!
2016-4-30
Use props
jeff.tyrie
New
United States

You can do it wirelessly with an Apple TV and an Iphone/Ipad.
Need:         Iphone
        AppleTV
Home Sharing must be turned on all apple products.

1.        Power up the camera.
2.        Set Iphone to connect to “Osmo” WiFi Network  (PW 12341234).
3.        Start the “DJI Go” app on the Iphone.
4.        Power up Apple TV and connect to “Osmo” WiFi Network.
5.        Swipe up from the bottom of your phone to access the Control Screen.
6.        Touch the “Airplay” Icon.
7.        On the next screen, Touch the “Apple TV” Icon.  A checkmark will appear next to it.
8.        On the same screen, turn Mirroring on.
9.        Press “Done” at top of the screen.
10.        You may need to swipe the Control Screen back down.

Whatever you see on your Iphone screen will be duplicated on the Apple TV.

BTW, you can clear your screen from the controls by swiping down.  It takes a while to perfect your technique.  (If anyone has read any documentation on this feature, I'd love to see it)
2016-5-4
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

China

creative noodle Posted at 2016-5-1 10:15
I use a device called CamRanger on my DSLR that does this. The CamRanger allows me to control my cam ...

Our engineers are interested in this new feature as well.
If there's any update, we would let you know at the first time.
Please pay attention to our official website for any further information!
Thanks!
2016-5-4
Use props
userf7e51b30ad
New

Two screens is SUPER important, not just for monitoring as mentioned by other users but I'm using the X5 with the osmo and the manual focus is very tricky going off my phone, especially if I'm shooting outside because of glare. It would be super nice to be able to have another person with a large iPad who could also connect and be covered/in the shade doing the focus while the operator just uses an iPhone and only worries about framing.
2016-6-20
Use props
userf7e51b30ad Posted at 2016-6-20 16:01
Two screens is SUPER important, not just for monitoring as mentioned by other users but I'm using th ...

Agreed, this is extremely important.  I'm using the Osmo/X5R/Follow-focus combination, and while the FF does make a big difference in my ability to pull focus, it's far from optimal because the function of camera operator and assistant (to handle focus-pulling) absolutely needs to be separated.  There's no way that, as an operator, I can concentrate on composition/framing and also pull focus on the tiny iPhone screen.  We need a way to use a second transmitter (a la master/slave mode on the Inspire) so that the assistant camera op can use a large tablet with a sunshade hooked into the Tx to control the Follow-focus unit.  

Please... this is a huge limitation of the system right now.  Thanks.
2016-6-20
Use props
Andre Coutrim
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12188 ft
Canada

This is mandatory for a professional use. Sometimes I can't put my Osmo in a production because this limitation as well the up and down movement issue.

It's so curious that DJI never thought in a solution for this and how important and basic it is for a professional.

Hope to see it solved soon.

AC

2016-6-21
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Andre Coutrim Posted at 2016-6-21 22:40
This is mandatory for a professional use. Sometimes I can't put my Osmo in a production because this ...

Thanks for all of your support.
We'll keep reviewing your feedback and suggestions.
For any future update, please refer to the official website.
2016-6-21
Use props
globalsolutions
New

Italy

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-22 08:22
Thanks for all of your support.
We'll keep reviewing your feedback and suggestions.
For any futur ...

Another tips for your engineers :

There's a usb port near the camera.

You can video-stream via the usb port to a usb video device
able to tx video wirelessly to a receiver or even toward an Atoms Ninja
or something like that.
2016-8-17
Use props
skip
New
Flight distance : 14534 ft
Netherlands

Reading about using the apple TV... if that works it will still be hard to use in the field since it doesn't run on batteries. That made me come to the sollution.  There's a program called airserver which mimmics your phone's screen on your laptop. Same way an apple TV does. Great thing about a laptop is you can bring it into the field :-) I'm gonna test it tomorrow but in theory this should work!
2016-9-26
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

skip@liquidfilm Posted at 2016-9-27 04:21
Reading about using the apple TV... if that works it will still be hard to use in the field since it ...

The issue is that you need to connect your phone's wifi to Osmo, so you can only cast the screen to TV via a USB cable.
2016-9-28
Use props
Troubleshooter
lvl.3
  • >>>

any update on this?
2016-10-11
Use props
mataikan1973
lvl.1
Singapore

is dji going to redesign the osmo?
wireless focus with a 2nd wirelesss monitor crystalsky?
2017-1-3
Use props
Amir XM
New

United States

DJI Engineers,

I am a big fan of being able to control my drone using a full size monitor (or high res TV).  Is there any way I can do this?

It would be best if I could just tap into the connection between my iPhone and the DJI controller with an HDMI cable.  This way, I don't have all of the downsides of a second wireless transmission.

Apple already makes an HDMI AV adapter for the iOS devices (http://www.apple.com/shop/produc ... -digital-av-adapter).  However, I tried and it does not work.  I imagine the limitation may be on a software level that could be updated?
2017-2-20
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

Here's a Russian guy who seems to have done it in his basement.  Can't be sure it's real but if it is maybe we need to put him in charge ...  http://cosmostreamer.com/
2017-2-20
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would like to see something similar to the inspire set up with a usb connection to the phone to free up wifi and a master and slave option so one operator can focus on walking around the subject and avoiding tripping on obstacles and one can operate camera motion from a still position.  Both operators get a video feed.   I would also like to see a totally remote ground solution with a to set up the camera and gimbal on a tripod and stream and feed over lightbridge and control from a distance.  If they incorporated lightbridge you could setup a second monitor for just viewing via the slave controller like with the I1 and 2 RC's.  This is a pretty tall order hopefully one day we will see it come to fruition.
2017-2-21
Use props
ProduceIT
New
Netherlands

NDI is the way its Newtek and its free to write in the SDK version.
DJI do iT please in the update. You got a good tool and you Can make it awsome. Just a tip of a costumor that knows you can make it.
2017-4-4
Use props
Spheric
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1575230 ft
Bulgaria

BUMB on this - DJI, please work on building a feature to remove this limitation, would make a HUGE difference!
2017-6-25
Use props
ricardv
lvl.1
Flight distance : 984557 ft
Spain

I'm using 2 screens right now. I don't know if anybody else has thinked about this: a "screen mirroring" app for Android named... "Screen Mirror" ;-)  whith which I can see all what's happening in the phone (tethered to the DJI product) in a remote tablet. This tablet cannot interact with the app in the phone. It is simply a copy of the image on the phone screen.

The connection phone-tablet works throught wi-fi, not bluetooth, so both must be in the same network. As you'll be most the time out of your home and you won't have a router near you, you'll need to activate the "Network anchor and Wi-Fi zone" on the phone (I don't know its right name in english because my phone is in catalan) to be able to have the tablet in the same wifi network.

As far as I know, there is only one app than can do those two things: screen mirror and network anchor. And it is "Screen Mirror" ( play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.screenmirrorapp ) . This is working fine for me now in a Phantom.
2017-7-2
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

ricardv Posted at 2017-7-2 04:34
I'm using 2 screens right now. I don't know if anybody else has thinked about this: a "screen mirroring" app for Android named... "Screen Mirror" ;-)  whith which I can see all what's happening in the phone (tethered to the DJI product) in a remote tablet. This tablet cannot interact with the app in the phone. It is simply a copy of the image on the phone screen.

The connection phone-tablet works throught wi-fi, not bluetooth, so both must be in the same network. As you'll be most the time out of your home and you won't have a router near you, you'll need to activate the "Network anchor and Wi-Fi zone" on the phone (I don't know its right name in english because my phone is in catalan) to be able to have the tablet in the same wifi network.

I assume that'll only work with the Mobile not a regular Osmo(+)(Pro) since the others need the wifi to connect to the camera?  

I have an NVIDIA Shield K1 and it has an HDMI output and built in mirroring. Unfortunately IMO there's some drawbacks to the Android version of the DJI Go app but more importantly I've also had it crash occassionally when mirroring so not optimal. Haven't played with it enough to try and troubleshoot the source of the crash but if you REALLY need two screens might be worth it.  
2017-7-2
Use props
ricardv
lvl.1
Spain

dr.nick Posted at 2017-7-2 16:00
I assume that'll only work with the Mobile not a regular Osmo(+)(Pro) since the others need the wifi to connect to the camera?  

I have an NVIDIA Shield K1 and it has an HDMI output and built in mirroring. Unfortunately IMO there's some drawbacks to the Android version of the DJI Go app but more importantly I've also had it crash occassionally when mirroring so not optimal. Haven't played with it enough to try and troubleshoot the source of the crash but if you REALLY need two screens might be worth it.

This app doesn't need to stay close to a wifi router. You can share the wifi connection from the phone, and then connect the tablet (or second phone) to this virtual network.

And it doesn't matter what kind of Osmo you have. This works with everything.
2017-7-7
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

ricardv Posted at 2017-7-7 06:24
This app doesn't need to stay close to a wifi router. You can share the wifi connection from the phone, and then connect the tablet (or second phone) to this virtual network.

And it doesn't matter what kind of Osmo you have. This works with everything.

So help me out here with this because I don't think I understand what you're saying.  My phone/tablet needs to use it's wifi connection to connect to and control the Osmo+ camera/gimbal.  It's a one-to-one relationship.  Osmo can't connect to any other network nor can the Phone/tablet connect to another network. I don't see how to fit another network conenction in that scenario.

Are you saying this app will essentially share that Osmo wifi connection (via it's IP address) with another device? If so what is the exact process to connect?

I looked for the app you're talking about and the only things I could find with that name were used via a computer, not another Android device.  Can you give me another clue?  Developer name?

Thanks.
2017-7-7
Use props
ricardv
lvl.1
Spain

> My phone/tablet needs to use it's wifi connection to connect to and control the Osmo+ camera/gimbal.
> Osmo can't connect to any other network nor can the Phone/tablet connect to another network.

My Osmo is a Mobile, and I'm not sure that what I'm saying will work in an Osmo+ or Osmo Plus.

Maybe an Osmo+ or Plus use wifi to connect the phone with that cam. I don't know.

In a Mobile (and I think in other Osmos too) your phone/tablet connect with your Osmo by bluetooth, not by wifi. They are 2 different connections. And wifi remains free to make a connection with another device.

> Are you saying this app will essentially share that Osmo wifi connection (via it's IP address) with another device?

An Osmo Mobile (and I think other Osmos too) doesn't have its own IP address because it doesn't have wifi connection.

> If so what is the exact process to connect?

There's a function in your phone named -more or less-  "Network sharing and Wi-Fi access point" (translating from my catalan phone. In english can be a bit different)
If you activate this in your main phone, you will have:
- the connection by bluetooth with your Osmo (Mobile, at least)
- the Internet connection with your data provider
- and now a wifi tethering with your tablet (or a laptop, or a second phone). This second device will now connect to the Internet trought your first phone, and both will be in the same network (that is what we wanted).

Then, in the tablet/laptop open the web screenmirrorapp.com and you'll get a QR code.
Then in the phone, open the app and scan the QR
That's all: you will see the screen phone on the browser  your tablet/laptop

It's all explained on play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.screenmirrorapp

> I looked for the app you're talking about and the only things I could find with that name were used via a computer, not another Android device.  Can you give me another clue?  Developer name?

just click on play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.screenmirrorapp
The name is Screen Mirror, developed by Smart Dato vGmbH. It must be this app, not another with the same name, because others need a close router.
2017-7-8
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

ricardv Posted at 2017-7-8 03:33
> My phone/tablet needs to use it's wifi connection to connect to and control the Osmo+ camera/gimbal.
> Osmo can't connect to any other network nor can the Phone/tablet connect to another network.

The regular Osmo does use wifi not Bluetooth to connect device to the phone.  But I'll check it out anyway  Thanks for the tip.
2017-7-8
Use props
lusofilm
lvl.1
Italy

Hi Guys what do you think about this pic I took? NO Apple TV, no wired, only osmo pro mirrored on ipad!!!!!!!!!!
2019-1-12
Use props
lusofilm
lvl.1
Italy

succeeded

2019-1-12
Use props
MrBootleg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 307605 ft
United States