New Phantom 2 Owner..a little help please?
1507 6 2014-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bstreet
New
Flight distance : 98635 ft
United States

Hi All-

I'm excited to have gotten a Phantom 2 for Christmas.  At first, I was thinking of sending it back to get one of the Vision models but I read that I could do pretty much the same with the P2 + a GoPro.   I already had a GP3 so I figured I was

So I opened it and flew it...

Now I see that there's stuff I can't do and am worried that I made the wrong choice.

So here are my questions:
1) Live video to my iPhone:  The best I can do now it seems is connect to the wifi of the GoPro from the phone.  I lose this so quickly that it's really not worth doing.  What do I need to add/modify to be able to get live video from a longer distance?

2) Telemetry data: I'd like to be able to know current altitude, current battery level, distance away, etc... is there a way I can get this data live from the P2 while in flight?

3) Ground Station software:  It seems like to use that I would have to buy a bluetooth kit for $200.  Is that right?  Is this worth doing?  Does it get me much other than being able to prescribe courses/waypoints for it to follow?

That's all my questions for now but I'm sure I'll have more.

Thanks in advance for helping me out,
-Bill
2014-12-27
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

In general, the Vision or Vision+ will provide many more options for the $$$ than outfitting a P2 with a GoPro.

Don't ever use the GoPro wireless - even at short range! You are lucky you still have your Phantom, as that interferes with control, etc. - same frequency!

The basics that you need are:
1. An FPV system - this is quite simple, although sometimes they need tuned....
2. DJI's OSD option - this displays certain telemetry data onto your FPV system.

The ground station is probably not worth your while or $$...

Here is an article on very simple FPV - all you need is a composite out of the GP, a TX in the sky and a receiver/monitor at the base station. It should all be 5.8GHZ so as not to interfere with the 2.4GHZ remote control of your P2
2014-12-27
Use props
dowrad01
lvl.1
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2014-12-27 23:47
In general, the Vision or Vision+ will provide many more options for the $$$ than outfitting a P2 wi ...

bsstreet, Not sure about you but I got lost at the FPV,OSD,GP, TX, I think I need to hit the books. I have the GoPro 3 with the H3-D3 that I will use as soon as I learn what all the above is.
2014-12-27
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

With the Phantom 2, you can add a Zenmuse gimbal and mount your GoPro 3, but you won't have FPV to your iPhone/iPad, nor will you have telemetry, nor will you have the ability to control the camera (start/stop video or take stills) from the ground. You can add the necessary equipment to have FPV, with telemetry. It's available from a variety of aftermarket places (will likely require a little soldering and voids warranty), or you can get the stuff from DJI, in which case it would be pretty much plug and play (after some disassembly). You can then add your own GoPro. However, the cost of the Phantom 2 and adding iOSD, FPV, and Zenmuse gimbal is a little more $$ than the Phantom 2 Vision+. And you still have to add the cost of the GoPro. And you still won't have any in-flight control of the GoPro. You'd have to push the record button before take off, or if you want stills, you'd have to set the intervalometer. You could use the GoPro's wireless feature, but you'll get significant video lag, and your max range will be about 200 feet. And, the possibility that the GoPro wifi will interfere with your control of your Phantom, since they'd both be on 2.4 ghz.

The Vision Plus is a more cost-effective solution, especially for the non-tinkerer. The gimbal is more fragile, however, and the video quality of the DJI camera, while really pretty good, is not quite on par with a GoPro 3+.
2014-12-27
Use props
bstreet
New
Flight distance : 98635 ft
United States

Thanks for the replies so far..you guys are fast!

So I see their iOSD kit...looks like that's about $200.  

Could someone give me the name or a link to a good FPV kit please?  In theory I'd like to just see the video on my iPhone or Nexus 7 so I wouldn't need a screen to be included in the kit....
ps: I have the h3 gimbal already...
2014-12-27
Use props
umpa2014
New

United Kingdom

I bought the vision. Hinde sight tells me should have got the vision +.  The one axis humble of the vision is simply not adequate giving jerky videos. On the plus side I get every thing you want, and find the ground station is awesome. But if photography is your game the vision is not the best.
2014-12-27
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

bstreet@gmail.c Posted at 2014-12-28 01:03
Thanks for the replies so far..you guys are fast!

So I see their iOSD kit...looks like that's ab ...

If you are us based, just call the folks at rangevideo and describe what you have - and they should be able to set you up with something nice.

http://www.rangevideo.com/

You can't use your phone or tablet - FPV systems use "analog" video, which is the old style of video that ancient TV's, etc. used.

You could also buy the stuff on Amazon, etc.

You need
a transmitter on the Phantom
A cable to the TX on the Phantom from your GoPro
A monitor for the ground
A receiver for the ground.

You can buy monitors - like the black pearl - which have a built-in receiver and battery. So all you need is one of those, a TX for the quad and the composite cable from the GoPro.

To confuse you slightly more you need to power the TX up on the Quad - that is, either strap a small battery to it or feed power into it from the Phantom (I think there are cables on your Phantom which do this).

That's a simple system. If you want OSD (on screen display of telemetry, etc.), you need more parts and need to install them. It's not real simple if you're not the type to fiddle with wires...but there are various videos as well as web pages describing how to do it step by step.
2014-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules