Power management and battery firmware requires an urgent update...
866 1 2015-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
amadeus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 202287 ft
Italy

With the approach of the cold season, as many other people, i observed the following strange behaviour.
If you take off with a cold battery (indicatively battery temperature below 20 deg), also with reasonable charge levels (i.e.above 50%), you can have the "Critically Low Voltage" warning message.
Consequences: at best, the bird will have an immediate and forced landing (this was my case...).
Unfortunately, many users have experienced with the immediate disconnection of the battery and the resulting crash of the bird.

Now, it is clear that someting in the power management algorithm is wrong and has to be rapidly revised!!
More, in these cirrcumstances, the message "safe to fly" appears totally inadequate and puts DJI automatically in the wrong!
And...please, do not tell me: "before any fly you have to ensure that the battery is full charged othervise.... there is the possibility to damage or loose the bird"!
This request is out of time!

Two simple and reasonable proposals for the developers.

1)    If the couple of estimated battery level the and actual battery temperature appear inadequate to have a reliable evaluation of the bird behaviour under load (due to the possible high internal resistance of the battery...), please give a warning message and avoid the takeoff!
Simple and effective!
Formulate a simple law that, for each estimated level of charge gives the minimal battery temperature below which the flight is inhibited!
An hypothtical behaviour (it is just an example...) could be: If you want to fly with the battery temperature at 20 deg then the minimum battery level required is 50%, at 10 deg 80% of charge required and so on.
Delete the takeoff until the battery is sufficiently heated (i.e. introduce a battery warm.up status with the bird forced on the ground....)

2)    In any case, while the bird is in flight, alwais, alwais avoid the battery disconnection!!
It is better to damage a single battery that the full bird!
So instead to force the battery disconnection, try to save the bird, force the immediate landing and give the message about the possibility to have a damaged battery!

Recently, I've read (and experimented) about a lot of strange behaviours (and crashes...) attributable to an inadequate power management.
Please put a patch ASAP!!

2015-12-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Some info on cold weather flying. hot_tips_for_flying_in_the_cold.png

2015-12-15
Use props
Advanced