CNN NEWS ON DRONES?
985 11 2015-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

I was just watching CNN news a few minutes ago and their stating that all drones/uavs must be registered before even flying. Wait.... this can't be true or is it? What about the hobbiest? CNN was making a big deal that if you receive 1 for a Christmas gift forget about flying it until you get your permit from FAA? Come on, please tell me this isn't TRUE?
2015-12-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's a link to the FAQ's, I'm guessing that since it says if you own one already that you have 60 days to register starting Dec 21st, then if you got one for Christmas you'll have time as well.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/
2015-12-15
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

I'll register it's not that big of a deal to me. I think its more to protect if the UAV crashes then FAA has a method to locate the owner.
2015-12-15
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

I read over the requirements but where is the link to register? Also if you are wanting to do commercial  shots of land is this a different registration?
2015-12-15
Use props
fhhowdy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 438107 ft
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-15 11:46
I read over the requirements but where is the link to register? Also if you are wanting to do commer ...

Yes, commercial use still requires a 333 exemption.   

See the FAA 333 page for more details.
2015-12-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

The link to register will be on the FAA website by the 21st. And for commercial work, along with the exemption an FAA licensed pilot will have to either fly the drone.
2015-12-15
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

@ DJI- Ken

Wait... let me make sure I understand this. I have a farmer a few miles down the road. He wants me to photograph is crop, and he will pay me $100. To do this I have to have an FAA pilot fly my inspire 1? Is this what you are stating? Please tell me that you aren't stating this?

To be 100% honest, I think this is ridiculous and another method of government wanting to take control. It is going to kill drone sales and hurt companies like DJI. Trust me when I write this, watch and see!

2015-12-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-12-15 20:12
That's about the long and the short of it.

If you want to do anything commercially (and that incl ...

Yes,

but this is not the way to go about the task.  I live in the US and think this is another regulation that could not be enforced. Once they start this nonsense the price will keep going up to feed the bureaucrats process... Give it two years and the cost will be over $100 bucks a year.

I am a honest guy and I really do not like the new ruling.

Rich
2015-12-15
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

I agree with Rich. It doesn't solve the problem we are having with idiots doing the wrong thing. So, if I'm flying is there going to be a local LEO pulling over asking for my ID and permit. Where is the probably cause for this? This is going to hurt the r/c industry more than anyone can imagine! Watch and see.
2015-12-15
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

yeach, these regulations are kind of lame
2015-12-15
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-12-15 22:12
That's about the long and the short of it.

If you want to do anything commercially (and that incl ...

@Paul you are correct too! Education is where it counts.

The bad guys are going to keep doing what they want. We the good, suffer the end results. Same with guns. I'm a gun(s) owner and proud of it. I wouldn't give up my weapons unless I'm 6 feet under.

But it still does't stop the bad guys from getting weapons regardless of background checks. Sure, right ... the bad guy is going to follow the rules do a background check before hitting a 7 eleven.
2015-12-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-16 10:21
@ DJI- Ken

Wait... let me make sure I understand this. I have a farmer a few miles down the road.  ...

Yes that is correct ( although now it may be a licensed pilot has to be there next to you)
Once you make a profit from a single photo, that now makes you a commercial drone operator and you need to have a 333 exemption PLUS follow about about 30 items on your exemption plus a bunch or items on the blanket COA.
At least that's what the rules are. Now I guarantee you lookup aerial photography guys and barely anyone will actually have an exemption. Especially for Real Estate, no one can be withing 500ft or the drone and while trying to get a photo of someone's house that's impossible unless your out in the country.
2015-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules