Battery Charging after 10 days of no use
1946 17 2015-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cecorcoran
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1339157 ft
United States

I've seen lots of threads related to charging the battery fully before flying if it has not been charged in the past several days or more. I have my batteries set to factory settings (ie discharge over 10 days). Even at days 7-10, however, a touch of the battery button still shows four green lights.

Now, after reading many threads, I know that info is likely incorrect. My issue though is that when I put the battery on the charger (stock DJI Pro) the charging lights do not come on at all. I've resorted to turning the Phantom on for 30 minutes or so to further drain the battery. Then, when I go to charge it the lights flash, it charges, they go out, and all is well.

Anyone else experience this?

Chris
2015-12-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

When your battery has almost full charge you have to power it on then connect it to the charger and it will charge to 100%.
2015-12-15
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

I set my batteries to auto discharge after 2 days and charge to 100% day of flight.

Goggles
2015-12-15
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

if you press the battery button to check the level you reset the discharge timer,  so if its 1 day of auto discharge and you press it you go back to the start again,
2015-12-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I have my batteries set to discharge in 3 days. I personally think it's better to do a shorter time than longer time. As stated above you have less risk of the battery staying charged for an extended period of time in case you test the battery and the time counter starts all over again.
2015-12-15
Use props
IMI193
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-15 16:01
I have my batteries set to discharge in 3 days. I personally think it's better to do a shorter time  ...

Why are everyone's  batteries fully charged ?

After my flight and battery cools, I charge the battery to 50% and leave it at that level till my next flight and only then charge it to 100% when I intend to fly.

Is there a reason not to do it this way ?
2015-12-15
Use props
metronome
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48852 ft
United States

well I can see I'll be reading up on LiPo battery technology...
2015-12-15
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

IMI193 Posted at 2015-12-15 18:39
Why are everyone's  batteries fully charged ?

After my flight and battery cools, I charge the ba ...

Your way is best....
But sometimes you charge up your batteries and sh*t happens.. Then your stuck with 2 batteries hanging out fully charged.. Then a few days later when you have time to fly, you have 2 batteries fully charged but not charged on that day. So you say "do I feel lucky" and your drone falls out of sky from low voltage or whatever.

Goggles
2015-12-15
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 2015-12-15 20:57
Your way is best....
But sometimes you charge up your batteries and sh*t happens.. Then your stuck ...

Amen. I have three separate charging gadgets for my Chroma, but only the single charger for 4 Phantom batteries. Takes a long time to get fully ready. Maybe time to buy at least one extra charger for the Phantom.

I wish they would make one with sufficient current to safely charge an external battery and the R/C battery at the same time. I've heard of some people doing it with the 100W charger, but DJI recommends not doing that.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-12-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

if I know I won't have the time to fly all week then I just let them self discharge. But sometimes I think I'm going to fly so I charge them up and ends up I don't fly.
2015-12-15
Use props
astrostar
lvl.3
United Kingdom

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-12-16 02:15
Amen. I have three separate charging gadgets for my Chroma, but only the single charger for 4 Phan ...

Hi,

Have you seen this battery charger which will charge 3 batteries and RC at the same time....DJI Phantom 3 Battery And Transmitter Charger Plates
2015-12-16
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

astrostar Posted at 2015-12-16 06:49
Hi,

Have you seen this battery charger which will charge 3 batteries and RC at the same time....D ...

Thanks for the link. That looks promising.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-12-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I have that same charger and got it from Amazon, it works GREAT.  You just have to make sure you plug in your batteries before you plug in the charger to the wall. As soon as you plug it into the wall the battery connectors are hot and since there's 3 of them it's not hard for them to tough another one while you have one in your hand plugging it into a battery.
2015-12-16
Use props
ssirio
New

Italy

Personally I think that 10 days is too short.
I know the LiPo technology an this limitation does not make sense. I would like to see in the next firmware push this limitation at least to 30 days.
2016-5-11
Use props
mstevens1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

ssirio@gmail.co Posted at 2016-5-11 13:28
Personally I think that 10 days is too short.
I know the LiPo technology an this limitation does not ...

I suppose we could try it ourselves and push the button on a fully charged battery after 9 days so it resets to another ten days, then see what its like on a flight with 20 days off charge, if you see no flight time decrease times perhaps it will be ok to try 30 days?
2016-5-14
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-12-15 22:15
Amen. I have three separate charging gadgets for my Chroma, but only the single charger for 4 Phan ...

I know that DJI does not recommend charging the RC and a battery at the same time, but I have been doing this for over a month (since I got my P4) with zero issues. I have 5 batteries and fly a lot, and definitely don't have time to go through the charging cycles for multiple batteries and then the RC. My stock 100W charger will charge both the RC and a battery at the same time up to 100% with zero issues. I can't recommend doing it, since DJI doesn't, but I just wanted to share my experience. I have an extra wall charger though, just in case I need faster charging times. I don't always charge both at the same time, but I usually don't have hours to wait to charge (very hectic schedule - I fly whenever my schedule allows)
2016-5-14
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2015-12-15 14:01
if you press the battery button to check the level you reset the discharge timer,  so if its 1 day o ...

R u sure of that? Just pressing once for status already resets the counter? I had no clue, and never seen any documentation to say so! How interesting!
2016-5-16
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-5-14 08:43
I know that DJI does not recommend charging the RC and a battery at the same time, but I have been ...

P4 has the 100Watt charger , I was under impression it's ok on that, just not on the chargers for advances and standard.
2016-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules