Who has the 333 Exemption?
2622 35 2015-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

I want to take pictures of farm crops for farmers in my area. So...my question is this. How long does the process take to obtain a 333? Do you have to be an FAA pilot? How is the best method to proceed? Also my wife flies my inspire 1 too. Does she have to have a 333 too? Or is it the owner of the lets say inspire 1?
2015-12-16
Use props
Richardrambone
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

What i do when i get a job photographing someones house i take a bunch of pictures and videos of the peoples house or farm or whatever they want then i sell them the micro sd card with the images on it for say, 100 dollars cash or whatever we agreed on. So really im only selling them an sd card, and the main thing is CASH!!!
2015-12-16
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

interesting. damn this is all nuts. I was reading that if you get the 333 and approved you still have to have a licensed pilot next to you? Is this correct?
2015-12-16
Use props
Richardrambone
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-16 09:00
interesting. damn this is all nuts. I was reading that if you get the 333 and approved you still hav ...

I'm not sure but I think you might be correct
2015-12-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a 333 exemption, the whole take aerial and ground stuff and sell the ground stuff and give him aerial for free will not work. The FAA will not buy that story.
When I got my exemption, the drone pilot had to be at least licensed FAA private pilot and at least 3 3rd class medical. Now the drone pilot does not have to be a licensed pilot, but one has to be there next to you.
Also, now you can have a recreational or sport pilots license and do not need a medical anymore but a drivers license.

The exemption process is really not that hard and will take about 2 months from when you submit your petition for exemption.
2015-12-16
Use props
Skylinewg
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-17 02:51
I have a 333 exemption, the whole take aerial and ground stuff and sell the ground stuff and give hi ...

Correction, at this point in time it's taking over 4 months. It's taking almost 3 months just for your exemption to post on the website. There has been an explosion of exemptions recently.
2015-12-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

WOW, I had no idea it was a 4 month process, I thought mine was brutal waiting 2 months.
2015-12-16
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

And the other thing is that for those of us who shoot video for a living the 333 exemption is useless anyway.  The restrictions say that you must at all times remain 500 feet away from any uninvolved person, vehicle or structure.  There isn't anywhere we would EVER be hired to shoot where you're that far away from a road, sidewalk, home, uninvolved business, etc., etc.  Once the new proposed rules take effect, assuming they stay on track, it gets fixed (at that point you can't fly directly OVER an uninvolved person, but the 500' limitation goes away).  So I've decided to just keep practicing and wait for the new rules.  I see zero percentage in going for the exemption.
2015-12-16
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

I wonder how it happens: You fly your inspire on a farm in the middle of  nowhere, and suddenly FAA comes and checks your drone license? Seriously?
2015-12-16
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Wait..... one second. If I file for a 333 and approved, I have to have a freaking pilot next to me to be able to fly my inspire 1 if i were to do it for a living?

You have got to be fu&$g kidding me!!!!!!!!! Please for GOD SAKE tell me that this isn't true? How would anyone make a living. You have to charge your fee and then pay a pilot on top of that. For Christ Sake! Please tell me I'm reading far to much into this.
2015-12-16
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-16 20:49
Wait..... one second. If I file for a 333 and approved, I have to have a freaking pilot next to me t ...

Sir - the below paragraph is taken from the FAA website:

Under this grant of exemption (333), a PIC (Pilot in Control) must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver's license issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate.

I understand your concern and frustration with this current ruling. We will have to wait till 2016 for new rules/regulations. Hopefully we can expect a certification that does not involve strapping yourself in a Cessna and flying cross country........
2015-12-17
Use props
wagoudeau90
lvl.2

United States

wagoudeau90@gma Posted at 2015-12-17 11:08
Sir - the below paragraph is taken from the FAA website:

Under this grant of exemption (333), a P ...

I also forgot to mention-

With current FAA rules/regulations, (we) also have to abide by State laws now. It seems like everyday I read a new law that is in enacted/will be enacted. If you aren't confused yet, Google your state+drone laws.
2015-12-17
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Is it true that if you fly under 200ft that a 333 is NOT required for commercial work? I want to shoot farmers crop near my ranch. 200ft is perfect and for that matter will do the job. But how do they know if you fly 50 ft- 100ft -200ft?
2015-12-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-18 07:23
Is it true that if you fly under 200ft that a 333 is NOT required for commercial work? I want to sho ...

No it is definitely not true, The exemption lets you fly up to 400ft BUT the blanket COA that goes along with the exemption restricts you to 200ft.
So from the ground up to 200ft if you are charging, trading, selling a client ground photos but giving him aerial photos for free, you are supposed to have an exemption. And the person flying the drone has to be a licensed pilot.
Those are the rules in a nutshell. And if you can get past those, then you have all the other restrictions you have to comply with. Like no commercial night flights, no one can be within 500ft (unless they are part of your crew) You have to file a NOTAM with the FAA, and a slew of other restrictions.
2015-12-18
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-18 21:43
No it is definitely not true, The exemption lets you fly up to 400ft BUT the blanket COA that goes ...

In other words, between the costs and the restrictions, until the new rules take effect some time in 2016, commercial operation for video production is impossible.
2015-12-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-12-19 13:03
In other words, between the costs and the restrictions, until the new rules take effect some time  ...

It's not impossible, but really fairly easy to get an exemption, and there is no cost except for the $5 fee to register your drone (with bill of sale, aircraft registration form, and affidavit of ownership)
2015-12-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2015-12-19 13:07
I'd really like to ask yourself, how is it that you think the FAA is going to have any friggin' clue ...

That's why I said SUPPOSED to have an exemption.
Although I comply with the rules of my exemption, my belief is the FAA is more concerned about the guys making lots of money and not complying with their exemption rather than some farmer in the middle of nowhere taking photos for his neighbor.
2015-12-18
Use props
Skylinewg
lvl.2

United States

Ok here's how it works lol.

As of right now it's extremely hard to enforce the requirement to have a Section 333. It's extremely possible to do business without one and probably never have an issue. However for example the National Association of Realtors has released info to realtors stating not to use UAV companies or do business with people using UAVs since commercial usage of them is "Banned". Then there was a follow up release saying that you could use companies that were authorized a Section 333 Exemption.

My point is that it's less about whether you'd get caught or not, or how "legal" it is for the FAA to require a 333, but more about your company appearing to be more credible. That in and of itself is why it's worth going through the bureaucratic process of obtaining one. In the mean time while waiting for it, nothing stops you from perfecting your craft and or discovering novel techniques and ways of utilizing the platform. I can tell you for sure that this is a fast moving ever evolving industry and it would be a tragic waste of time to let 4 months go by without learning new things.
2015-12-19
Use props
Majorl
lvl.2
United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-12-18 23:03
In other words, between the costs and the restrictions, until the new rules take effect some time  ...

It is not uncommon for our government to create standards no one can meet.  I deal with this in my sales job. We no bid all US army corps of engineer jobs because of this. The FAA is clearly dragging their feet.  Their could be drone companies that have their 333, and even a pilot, then what about the 500 ft rule. And it will take another year. This is why GDP grows at 1 percent. The only jobs being created are the folks charging 1500 to 5000 to file the 333. All of these request say the same thing just copy and paste and file.
2015-12-22
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-19 00:21
It's not impossible, but really fairly easy to get an exemption, and there is no cost except for t ...

Ken,

You're missing my point.  YES, you can get a 333 exemption, absolutely.  But OPERATION under a 333 is impossible, at least here.  I do video production for a living, which is why I purchased the Inspire.  But every possible production I would do is prohibited by the terms of the 333 exemption.

The reason?  EVERY 333 exemption currently being written requires that the aircraft stay 500' away from any uninvolved person, structure or vehicle.  There isn't anyplace within a hundred miles of here where an establishing shot of a corporate campus, an overview of a car dealership's lot, a shot of a factory, a shot of a skyline, a flyover of a property, etc., etc., isn't within 500' of a public roadway, someone else's building or a sidewalk.  There is no way to do production work under a 333 exemption without violating its terms.  And by obtaining the 333 exemption, you've agreed to those terms.

So until the new proposed regulations pass, I see no way to use the Inspire for what I purchased it for.  The new regulations, as revised when I saw them last, merely state that you cannot fly OVER an uninvolved person.  THAT, I can manage.

If you see something I've missed about the 333 exemption, by all means let me know.  I would be prefer to be using it productively now.
2015-12-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Ok, I see what you are saying. And YES, in an urban area it's nearly impossible to operate legally with a 333. I've lost a lot of jobs (Real Estate) due to the 500ft restriction. I work with other people that do Real Estate without and exemption and I forward all those jobs to them. They are still operating against the rules though, but with an exemption there's no excuse to not follow the rules. Get what I'm saying?
I was at a drone shoot for a reality TV show and it's crazy what it took to be legal, and yes the FAA came out to the shoot, along with the fire marshall.
2015-12-25
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

@ DJI-Ken,  my thoughts... what a bunch of crap! I feel you and PeteGould. How can you guys even make a living? I swear, I feel like we are in the Soviet Union, and it's the cold war. America the free? I think not! I spent my life defending the constitution and right now it's being crapped on by big brother!

Name one time that a drone has killed someone? Can it happen? Sure! How about the aircraft that fly over us every single day? But something like an inspire 1 is being looked at like a weapon! Its a sad day for our country! This is just the beginning to something more, a bigger picture and there is no turning back. I love my Country, but I don't care for our government that has trampled on our rights. For those that don't think our rights are being infringed upon are complete idiots! Wake up!!!!!!!!!
2015-12-25
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

How hard is the application  for the 333?
2015-12-26
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

My 333 took 4 months and yes, you must hold an FAA pilot certificate, at least sport pilot rating. to operate the UAV. The exemption is very clear on who does the flying. The pilot-in -command must be FAA certified. There are no provisions in the exemption to allow a non-certified pilot to operate the UAV, even with a certified pilot standing next to the operator.
2015-12-26
Use props
Koavog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1359800 ft
United States

Hey Guys, I think the true intent behind FAA 333 exemption is NOT so you can fly/shoot your revenue project, it's so a gaggle of attorneys can persecute you with the 333 exemption when you (accidentally) damage property or injure someone. i.e., 333 is for the attorneys, not you! Be sure you have legitimate liability insurance (at least 5 million $ worth)!

Sorry...I'd wait for the new Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) to be released, hopefully this Summer
2015-12-26
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-12-26 10:59
My 333 took 4 months and yes, you must hold an FAA pilot certificate, at least sport pilot rating. t ...

And that is a joke!
2015-12-26
Use props
bkflaherty
New

United States

I understand everyone's concern here. Although I wish they truly come out with fair regulations it won't happen soon, because of the "What if's." At the end of the day, the government has to protect the people. It will only take one accident, when a drone hits something, which causes a major catastrophe. Although most of us fly sensibly, there is always that one idiot that ruins it for us all.

Good thing is, that businesses like Amazon, that want to deliver packages this way, will help clear the way for all people to do this when everyone follows by the rules. Too many things are happening too quickly for our government to be able to whip out regulations that can cover. We all have to be patient or hope you don't get caught, your choice.

I like to favor patience.
2015-12-27
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'm just the messenger...
2015-12-27
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-12-26 06:01
How hard is the application  for the 333?

Very easy. I can send you the format I used, which I "borrowed" from someone else (on the FAA website.)
http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislati ... 333_authorizations/

2015-12-27
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Hey Licensed Pilot - I know and no harm tended. I'm just fraustrated for those that are trying to make a living doing what they love. The 333 TRULY doesn't even allow you to fly commercially without a pilot flying. That is crap! I've got a buddy that flies for a major airline. Spoke to him this afternoon. I asked "Hey you know what I bought" no what? An inspire 1 I tod him. He replied what is that? I told him a drone. He seriously replied back to me and said " the last time I flew an r/c airplane I crashed it and never going to fly r/c again".

So what is the moral of this story? Just because you are a pilot doesn't mean that you can fly an inspire 1! That's a fact jack!!! The FAA is doing a CYA and that's it! Everyone of the accepted letters are more or less the same approval letter that doesn't make sense. Someone requested for SAR (Search and Rescue). And the letter of approval talks about fiming and planning 3 days a head. lol

One thing for certain. A Sheriff can have you fly without notice to the FAA in a lawful situation - good example search and rescue without the FAA being notified. You wouldn't be requied to be a 333. Rules can be broken for the right reasons. Sure, Hello FAA here is my pre-flight for 3 days from now and I predict a catastrophic incident that will occure with floods and people needing to be rescued! The Sheriff Department will not be able to get their birdie up in the air due to mechanical issues. Just a heads up FAA.

This is why the 333 is a BIG JOKE! Protects no one! You guys just don't get it do you?

2015-12-27
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-12-27 22:32
Very easy. I can send you the format I used, which I "borrowed" from someone else (on the FAA websi ...

I would love to receive that info.
2015-12-28
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-27 22:27
Hey Licensed Pilot - I know and no harm tended. I'm just fraustrated for those that are trying to m ...

You are pissing into the wind, bud.
2015-12-29
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-12-28 13:24
I would love to receive that info.

send email to kd7gmk@gmail.com
2015-12-29
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-12-30 00:31
You are pissing into the wind, bud.

@ LICENSED PILOT   Pissing in the wind huh? I'm just telling it like it is! And most of us do not like the FAAs ruling and it is a BIG JOKE! No, I'm not pissing in the wind, I'm expressing concerns and frustrations. I'm not flying for a living. I just don't like the little guys being pissed and push on!

You seriously think it requires a pilot to fly an inspire 1? That it makes a huge difference? Just because you can fly a single engine plane doesn't mean you can jump into a lear jet and fly cross country. Got it?

We are either kings or pawns and I can tell without a doubt that you are a pawn! And listen, we can go at this forever till we are both blue in the face. You have your opinion and I have mine. If I wasn't so old I'd challange the FAA in court! Becuase what their doing is unlawful!

Wait… wait.. you must be from Cali and believe that we shouldn't have the right to bear arms too? Am I right?
2015-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Just to correct an earlier post, you DO NOT need to have a pilots license to get a 333 Exemption. BUT you need a licensed pilot to fly your drone. And it needs to have an FAA registration N number. Plus comply with ALL the other rules.
As I said before, I've had my exemption since April and been a private pilot for 20 years. I've had to give up several jobs because I couldn't comply with the rules of the exemption or the COA (mainly the 500ft radius) But whatever, rules are rules.
2015-12-29
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-29 15:39
@ LICENSED PILOT   Pissing in the wind huh? I'm just telling it like it is! And most of us do not l ...

"You seriously think it requires a pilot to fly an inspire 1? That it makes a huge difference? Just because you can fly a single engine plane doesn't mean you can jump into a lear jet and fly cross country. Got it?"
There you go again, ascribing things to me that I never said. All I did was repeat the FAA's position, not my own.  Please stop redirecting your hostility towards me.
Requiring a pilot's license to fly UAV's is dumb. But it is not dumb to require some aeronautical knowledge to keep the kids and idiots out of the sky. The FAA is getting there with the new upcoming operator certificate, maybe 2017, they were caught by surprise by the UAV explosion and are way behind.
PS- NOT from California, own lots of guns, retired cop.

2015-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules