best camera settings and do i need a filter for phantom 3 advanced
3462 4 2015-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
maybachbugatti1
lvl.1

United States

so what are the best settings for phantom 3 advanced and do i need a filter at the moment my photos look a bit washed out? what do the nd and uv filters do? do i need one? if i do whats the diffrence between the numbers on nd filters?
thanks

just to give you an example here is one of my photos the dirt is alot lighter than it was that day and the grass was greener not sure why the phantom is showing it like that but ya thats why i am asksing the forum for help.
DJI_0008 for forum.jpg
2015-12-16
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There are no "best settings" because if it was that simple that would be all you'd have.
You have settings to be able to deal with the big variety of scene and exposure differences.
ND filters are mostly used for video and won't help you with stills.

Your bare earth/grass situation is one of a high contrast scene.  There is a big difference between the light reflected from the light earth and the darker grass areas.
The camera has to come up with something that averages out the bright and dark and when the difference is too much that creates difficulty.
There are ways to deal with this - but much too complex to explain in a forum post.
Photo exposure is a detailed technical  subject and if you want to learn more, look for it in photography websites or books.
2015-12-16
Use props
maybachbugatti1
lvl.1

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-12-16 17:59
There are no "best settings" because if it was that simple that would be all you'd have.
You have se ...

i mostly use video only reason i took a still is to show you what i mean looks the same on video. also i assume the camera setting follow most camera settings and are not really diffrent
2015-12-16
Use props
elbee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79101 ft
United States

maybachbugatti1 Posted at 2015-12-17 09:32
i mostly use video only reason i took a still is to show you what i mean looks the same on video. a ...

the histogram is your best guide to how to set your camera exposure.  for stills you can adjust the exposure value (EV) until the histogram looks "balanced".  most of the time auto mode will work fine for stills -- keep the ISO low and let the shutter speed be what is needs to be.  shoot RAW and make adjustments easily in post processing.  video is a different story.  you CAN shoot video in auto but the best "cinematic look" will come if you use manual mode to adjust the ISO to 100 (or 200) and the shutter speed to roughly twice the frame rate (25fps video your shutter speed goal should be 1/50s -- not a "law" but a good "goal" :-)

so how do you get your shutter speed to 1/50s at ISO 100 when it is bright outside and not be blowing out highlights??  that's where ND filters come into play.  get a set of ND4, ND8, ND16, and ND32 filters.  that will give you 2,3,4 and 5 "stops" of light transmission.  1-stop is a halving of the light reaching the sensor.  ND4 filter is 2 stops which is 1/4th the light so if a "normal" exposure would be 1/200th sec, you want it to be 4 times longer to get a 1/50th exposure -- thus use an ND4 filter.   if your "neutral" shutter speed was 1/1600 (at ISO 100) you would need 5 stops to get the shutter speed slowed down to 1/50s (ND32 filter). that's 1/1600x2x2x2x2x2 .

i have these TACO-RC filters

hope that makes sense.  if not, best get acquainted with basic exposure principles in photography first.

2015-12-16
Use props
mfiorelli72
New

elbee Posted at 2015-12-17 10:07
the histogram is your best guide to how to set your camera exposure.  for stills you can adjust th ...

Elbee,

I'm looking very interesting to your reply. I'experiencing in my opinion blurry or unfocused shots with my phantom 3 adv. I will be very interested in your opinion to my shots or if I can have improvements with a different filter. I can send to you shots for your review.
Thanks and regards
2016-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules