There are over 2600 Companies with 333 Exemption Already Granted
921 5 2015-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skylinewg
lvl.2

United States

So much for being on the bleeding edge of technology lol. There are over 2600 companies already authorized with an exemption and countless more in the pipeline. Seems like everyone jumped on the wagon all at once. That's an average of over 52 UAV based companies per 50 States. We'll see how this all pans out.
2015-12-16
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

yeach, bleeding edge of technology...
2015-12-16
Use props
JasonA
lvl.2

United States

if you planned on forming a company solely for aerial photography using drones, you'll be out of business on no time.   

Itd be like me saying I can word process documents and print them for you for only $xxx / hr.  Call me now!  Free spellchecking included with purchases over $100
2015-12-17
Use props
photosbyhelo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 263196 ft
United States

JasonA Posted at 2015-12-17 14:50
if you planned on forming a company solely for aerial photography using drones, you'll be out of bus ...

same thing came to be when digital cameras became affordable and 'everyone' was a wedding photographer.  Talent and entrepreneurial skills will still be the differentiator.  But, agree, there will be a glut now compared to the pre-drone era.   From a business perspective, it was better when it actually took skill to fly a non-GPS, non-barometer, non-IMU helicopter  But, progress, time, and technology marches on.  I did this stuff prior to anyone ever uttering the word 'drone'.  It was very good money.  But, I love the technology and how much easier it is to fly and photograph.     If you really love this stuff, you will be able make money.  It just takes more work now.  Hopefully they get rid of the ridiculous 'have to be a pilot' crap. Have to know the rules and pass tests, no problem.  Best of luck.   
2015-12-17
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

photosbyhelo Posted at 2015-12-18 09:47
same thing came to be when digital cameras became affordable and 'everyone' was a wedding photograp ...

I like how you put it. Take a small test and be on your way. Having a pilot to fly your inspire 1 or drone is just ridiculous to say the least. It is stupid!
2015-12-17
Use props
JasonA
lvl.2

United States

I agree the pilot requirement in fact can be dangerous because there are some who are simply not suited to be real pilots, but they'll press forward with the training anyways because they have to.  

In my mind, the drone certification should be a narrowed down version of the pilot written test, minus the weather, vor/ndb/adf navigation stuff.  People need to understand airspace and airport operations, NTSB regulations, and common sense safety stuff.  Forcing someone to be a full-on pilot puts more people at risk IMO.  
2015-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules