If Android OS I would think so.
2015-12-16
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

jpflkeys, you can find a list of commonly used tablets here.
2015-12-16
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi ,
Please check the compatible devices list . Thank you !
iOS Version v2.4.2. Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Android Version v2.4.3. Requires Android 4.1.2 or later. Compatible with Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Nubia Z7 mini, Sony Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.
*Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues.
2015-12-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Flying a quality drone, please get yourself an adequate device, preferably one already thoroughly tested and proven to work well.

RedHotPoker
2015-12-16
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-12-16 22:47
Flying a quality drone, please get yourself an adequate device, preferably one already thoroughly te ...

Yes, I agree 100%.
2015-12-16
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-12-16 20:28
Look on DJIs site for the list of compatible devices. Should you use something that is not on the li ...

I have looked on their site but it also says other tablets may work but yet to be tested. Not going to take any chanced, if I have to I will purchase one.  My phone will work but want a bigger screen.
2015-12-17
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-12-16 20:33
jpflkeys, you can find a list of commonly used tablets here.

Thanks, Looks like I have to purchase one.
2015-12-17
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-16 22:43
Hi ,
Please check the compatible devices list . Thank you !
iOS Version v2.4.2. Requires iOS 8.0 o ...

Looks like I will be making another purchase.
2015-12-17
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-12-17 01:47
Flying a quality drone, please get yourself an adequate device, preferably one already thoroughly te ...

Most definitely
2015-12-17
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-17
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

if you own it try it

if you don't own it yet maybe look at the ones folks say work well,

Nvidia Shield seems to be a favorite Android but not on the "list"

FWIW I use a Moto X Pure Ed and it is flawless with my P3, also not on "list".

I think the key is getting a good solid recent quad cpu with at least 2 gig memory and gps/compass and HD screen or better

Good luck and have fun flying!
2015-12-17
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Jpf,

I agree with Kirk, try it first. If it works well and there is no video lag or signal loss use it. If you are not satisfied with it buy a new one.

Jerry
2015-12-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Another thing to think about when using devices not on the DJI list. Some may work 100% and some may not work as well and have issues like stuttering video, not all features work, or the app crashes.
If your device is not listed and works 100%, after a firmware update it may not full work anymore. The processing power needed may be more as firmware updates come out.
2015-12-17
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

What seems to work the best a Apple product or Android? Want something with no lag & good connectivity....jp
2015-12-19
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

Thanks to all that have replied...much appreciated. Can't wait for mine to show up, suppose to be delivered today!
2015-12-19
Use props
jaembroidery
New

United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-12-16 20:28
Look on DJIs site for the list of compatible devices. Should you use something that is not on the li ...

I am new to Drone world and DJI, Can you give me directions to the tablets listed on DJI web page. I am having a hard time following and finding things on their web page. Going today to find a tablet for my new P3Pro
2015-12-26
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-12-26
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-12-26
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-12-26
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

jpflkeys Posted at 2015-12-17 06:12
I have looked on their site but it also says other tablets may work but yet to be tested. Not goin ...

It is not on the "approved" list, but I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" and it worked fine. I had to address a couple of items in the security settings to make it work. After that, it was fine.

Another really good one I've discovered is the iPad Mini 4 - even bigger screen than the one above and it's been virtually flawless.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-12-26
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

jpflkeys Posted at 2015-12-19 10:51
What seems to work the best a Apple product or Android? Want something with no lag & good connectivi ...

I can speak only for my own experience.
I love my iPOD. I despise iTunes! But the iPod is the best music device ever made.
So many people on this site seemed to favor the Apple products but I was reluctant to spend the kind of money that can be spent on those things.

Used my phone for a long time (Samsung Galaxy S5). It worked well (not really bright enough) but I definitely wanted a larger screen.

Bought a Galaxy Tab 4 - works well with only a minor glitch now and then.

Finally bit the bullet and bought an iPad Mini 4. It is a jewel! The *only* thing I run on it is the GO app for my Phantom. Kind of a pricey specialty, but I've truly been thrilled with it.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-12-26
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

I followed the advice of a forum member and purchased a cheap Android tablet made by Digiland. Link http://www.bestbuy.com/site/digi ... 6&skuId=4306900. The forum discussion about it is http://forum.dji.com/thread-36602-1-1.html.

My first flight with it was today and it never skipped a beat with video caching enabled. Best I could measure, the lag is about .25 seconds. Not bad. A little more than my old Nook HD+ running Cyanogenmod 10.2.3. The only problem with the Nook was switching from photo to video in the app. The Digiland handled everything perfectly. And it comes with GPS.

Don't be fooled into believing you need to spend >$200 for a tablet to fly. The crashes reported on the forum have been a mixed bag of approved tablets and unapproved tablets. Not enough one way or the other to suggest that the tablet was to blame for the crash. I have had my P3A for 6 months, have never used an approved device, and never even came close to crashing my bird. A little common sense goes a long way.

I do not own an Apple device and I never will. If I had to fly with an Apple device I would just sell my bird. I feel it is too easy to write scripts to make Android do anything I want instead of paying +2x the price and be handcuffed into what I can or can't do with MY device. Just a personal preference. If you want to go IOS, there are many threads with suggestions to help you make an educated purchase. If your budget allows and you want a good Android tablet I would go with the Nvidia Shield. If your budget doesn't allow such a purchase, I would recommend the Galaxy Tab 4, or the Digiland mentioned above.
2015-12-26
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-12-26 17:13
I can speak only for my own experience.
I love my iPOD. I despise iTunes! But the iPod is the best ...

Thanks for your advice, have some shopping to do.
2015-12-27
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

gas.tube Posted at 2015-12-26 17:53
I followed the advice of a forum member and purchased a cheap Android tablet made by Digiland. Link  ...

Appreciate your views on tablets. At the present time I have a Blade Chroma with built in screen, it is nice, just wish DJI had that. Pretty much turn it on, calibrate compass & fly.
2015-12-27
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

jpflkeys Posted at 2015-12-27 10:23
Appreciate your views on tablets. At the present time I have a Blade Chroma with built in screen,  ...

Yes, I agree. That is the downside to DJI. With the sheer number of available tablets on the market, it is difficult to create an app without compatibility issues (even some of the devices on the approved list are not 100% glitch free). While a built-in screen has it's drawbacks, there are several advantages DJI could utilize if their Phantoms came with that as an option at least.

Your original question about if a Dell would work, I don't know as I haven't heard of anyone on the forums who have tried one (might want to check the DJI Go App forum). If you have one already and it is running Android I wouldn't hesitate trying to see if it works. Pull the props and fly it with the simulator. I think that would be your safe bet. However, if you have a Dell tablet and it's running Windows, sadly you are out of luck.

Good luck finding a compatible tablet.
2015-12-27
Use props
kdcox
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1386588 ft
United States

gas.tube Posted at 2015-12-27 13:58
Yes, I agree. That is the downside to DJI. With the sheer number of available tablets on the marke ...

I upgraded my cell phone 22December and they offered me a promotional ipad mini 2 for 100 bucks.  i thought it'd be a great gift for someone.  then I magically received a P3P for Christmas....so I kept it, and it works beautifully.  call me selfish...
2015-12-27
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

kdcox Posted at 2015-12-27 17:38
I upgraded my cell phone 22December and they offered me a promotional ipad mini 2 for 100 bucks.   ...

The mini 2 gets lots of praise on the forums for it's compatibility and functionality. Sounds like you got a great deal as well. Awesome.
2015-12-27
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

gas.tube Posted at 2015-12-27 14:58
Yes, I agree. That is the downside to DJI. With the sheer number of available tablets on the marke ...

At the present time I am using my Samsung Galaxy 5 phone. It seems to work ok, just want to get a larger screen without breaking the bank. These tablets use to be around $150, now most are $300 & above. My cost factor is going up & up between the extra batteries and a case, now a tablet : (
2015-12-27
Use props
harleyujoe
lvl.1

United States

Has any one used a "Samsung Galaxy Tab E " on Inspire.. I see best Buys has a sale on 9.6" Unit...The other one they carry would be the Nvidia shield K-1 they have in stock.
2015-12-27
Use props
gas.tube
lvl.2

United States

jpflkeys Posted at 2015-12-27 18:46
At the present time I am using my Samsung Galaxy 5 phone. It seems to work ok, just want to get a  ...

This can be a very expensive hobby. I rarely spend this kind of money on myself (it's usually on the kids, wife, girlfriend, whatever) so I also shopped for accessories to find the lowest prices. I wasn't going to spend $200 on a case, so I bought one from MCM Electronics for $39. It came highly recommended on another forum and it is super heavy duty. It was a hardcase with pluckable foam. Yeah, it made me nervous when I dropped it from 4 feet. Took me hours to get the nerve up to open it and check my bird. However, it was in perfect condition when I finally opened the case. I have flown it around 20 times after that so I have confidence in the fact that it will protect my bird.

But, yes, a couple of spare batteries, case, tablet. It adds up quickly. And a big screen is really nice. Going to the 7" Digiland from the 9" Nook took some time to get used to. Couldn't imagine flying with a 5" screen like the S5.
2015-12-27
Use props
wondoon
New

United Kingdom

What's anyone's thoughts on DJI producing a tablet that will work with the app   
2015-12-30
Use props
wondoon
New

United Kingdom

Don't you think it would be a good idea for DJI to produce a tablet for the app.
2015-12-30
Use props
brandoniles7
New

United States

might be a stupid question but could i use my phone attached to the RC but have a tablet that my kids could hold so they can see the flight at the same time without having to look over my shoulder at my little phone screen...

warning....I am new to this drone world so my questions might seem green and very stupid...pardon my ignorance...I am learning more each day
2015-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules