Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Propeller guards
3135 7 2014-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gitersonke
New

United States

I am new to drones pretty much all together.  I have been flying a nano qx for a couple weeks and am interested in buying an inspire.  I'm curious what the feelings about blade/ propeller guards is? Does anyone hate them, love them, want to build aftermarket ones for the inspire.  Just from an outside perspective the idea of having the guards on any drone makes it a lot less intimidating.  I know if it tips over during a landing it would save you buying a new set of proppelers.   I have been imagining building some for myself for the inspire.
What do you guys think?  
Thanks for your input.
Cheers.
2014-12-27
Use props
skillet
lvl.2
Flight distance : 468258 ft
South Africa

I am very sure that there are already a few guys with 3D printers that is experimenting with the idea... Some money to be made there. I am all for adding safety and equipment protection.
2014-12-27
Use props
rbendjebar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3170190 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flying a nano qx and an Inspire 1 are orders of magnitude different. The Inspire is not a starter drone, and is going to be very unforgiving of noob mistakes. Consider perhaps getting more experience with an intermediate drone like the Phantom 2 or Vision. There are so many things to learn in flying the drone and managing the flight path that there is very little room for error when trying to take photos or video while in flight.
The Inspire will not be made much safer by adding prop guards, if that is even physically possible. It is still a 6 kilo object that can cause great injury in inexperienced hands. Even if no person is nearby, a crash or unintended collision or contact with the ground or obstacles will likely result in expensive damage to the drone, the gimbal or the camera.
2014-12-27
Use props
ultraturtle
lvl.2

Considering that the Vision Positioning System will make the Inspire 1 the first aerial photo/video platform to be practically used indoors, propeller guards will become very important to not only protect the propellers, but interior walls.  I'll be purchasing them as soon as they become available.
2014-12-27
Use props
Gitersonke
New

United States

I wasn't saying I was going to go crazy and book myself on a job to get cinema quality footage as soon as the inspire hits my doorstep.  I'm just taking some advice from someone here about quad copters, by getting as much experience with a smaller platform.   I'm also not super keen on buying a phantom as in my real experience on set.  I've only seen them do the "run away".  I'm sort of waiting and hoping for reviews that say what ever new systems on the inspire are more robust than what I've personaly seen from the phantom series. As for the reason of the post.   Propeller guards.... I was more interested in them for indoors as ultra turtle said.  As well as for accidental tipping on to any other surface than grass.   As well as just for the mere possibilities of accidents with someone holding the craft and it getting turned on.  I've seen that happen and it sucked for the guy holding it.  Any way, I can't see how some kind of safety gaurds for propellers could be a bad thing.   I just thought someone here might have ideas about it.
2014-12-27
Use props
s.s.gibbs1
lvl.2

United States

I can honestly say that a nano qx is tough to fly indoors or out and I have one that humbles me.
I have flown the p 2 and p 1 fairly well and I think the flying skills can be honed well with a nano.
Of course practicing lots of other skills must be done with a p 2 etc.
I still would say if taken in small steps and not being over confident you could be OK with the inspire.
Everyone is different though.
Some would not be able to use all the extra controls and crash it.
Others would take it slow and be just fine.
And yes,prop gaurds would be nice for me flying near trees and indoors.
2014-12-27
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

+ 1 for me. I think guards would be a great idea for indoor purposes.
2014-12-28
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

lethbrp Posted at 2014-12-28 19:41
+ 1 for me. I think guards would be a great idea for indoor purposes.

The guards for the Phantom seem to have caused more trouble than they are worth.
The have been named responsible for trapping hands against the turning props when attempting to hand catch.
They have also been named responsible for vortex effect wobbles and loss of control.
It will be interesting to see if DJI introduces them for the I1...
2014-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules