Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
US FAA requires registeration Dec21,2015
2095 13 2015-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
roy
lvl.4

United States

FAA DRONE REGISTRATION DETAILS:
1. Registration is mandatory in the United States.
2. If you already own a drone, you have until February 19, 2016, to register; but if you register in these first 30 days (by January 20) it’s free.
3. If you buy your drone after December 21, you must register before your first flight; but again, if you register in the first 30 days it’s free.
4. Users must be at least 13 to register online.
5. The registration fee is $5, but—again—registration will be free until January 20th. It’s good for three years.
6. Right now you’ve got to register directly through the FAA. They’ll release an API in the spring (they’re targeting April) that we’ll immediately integrate into the Solo app. Until then you’ll have to go here to register.
7. All the information you need provide is your name, home address, e-mail address and the make and model of your drone. This generates a “proof of ownership,” including a Unique Number, which you must mark on your drone in a place you don’t need a tool to access.
8. This registration process only applies to hobby and recreational use. Business use rules still forthcoming.

2015-12-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

And to add to that, it's good to read ALL the FAQ's, it will answer most questions people may have..
http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/
2015-12-17
Use props
Movin on
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

For those who are members of AMA, you may want to follow their suggestion and wait a bit.
For those who are not AMA members, you may wish to read the latest:

You're receiving this email because of your affiliation with the Academy of Model Aeronautics.

Academy of Model Aeronautics
Member Communication                  
        Thursday, December 17, 2015                  

Dear AMA Members,
Yesterday, the AMA Executive Council unanimously approved an action plan to relieve and further protect our members from unnecessary and burdensome regulations. This plan addresses the recently announced interim rule requiring federal registration of all model aircraft and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) weighing between 0.55 and 55 pounds.
AMA has long used a similar registration system with our members, which we pointed out during the task force deliberations and in private conversations with the FAA. As you are aware, AMA's safety program instructs all members to place his or her AMA number or name and address on or within their model aircraft, effectively accomplishing the safety and accountability objectives of the interim rule. AMA has also argued that the new registration rule runs counter to Congress' intent in Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, otherwise known as the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft."
The Council is considering all legal and political remedies to address this issue. We believe that resolution to the unnecessary federal registration rule for our members rests with AMA's petition before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. This petition, filed in August 2014, asks the court to review the FAA's interpretation of the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft." The central issue is whether the FAA has the authority to expand the definition of aircraft to include model aircraft; thus, allowing the agency to establish new standards and operating criteria to which model aircraft operators have never been subject to in the past.
In promulgating its interim rule for registration earlier this week, the FAA repeatedly stated that model aircraft are aircraft, despite the fact that litigation is pending on this very question. The Council believes the FAA's reliance on its interpretation of Section 336 for legal authority to compel our members to register warrants the Court's immediate attention to AMA's petition.   
While we continue to believe that registration makes sense at some threshold and for flyers operating outside of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes, we also strongly believe our members are not the problem and should not have to bear the burden of additional regulations.  Safety has been the cornerstone of our organization for 80 years and AMA's members strive to be a part of the solution.  
As we proceed with this process, we suggest AMA members hold off on registering their model aircraft with the FAA until advised by the AMA or until February 19, the FAA's legal deadline for registering existing model aircraft.  
Holding off on registration will allow AMA time to fully consider all possible options. On a parallel track, it also allows AMA to complete ongoing conversations with the FAA about how best to streamline the registration process for our members.  
In the near future, we will also be asking our members to make their voices heard by submitting comments to the FAA's interim rule on registration. We will follow-up soon with more detailed information on how to do this.
Thank you for your continued support of AMA. We will provide you with more updates as they become available.  
Kind regards,

The AMA Executive Council
Bob Brown, AMA President
Gary Fitch, AMA Executive Vice President
Andy Argenio, AMA Vice President, District I
Eric Williams, AMA Vice President, District II
Mark Radcliff, AMA Vice President, District III
Jay Marsh, AMA Vice President, District IV
Kris Dixon, AMA Vice President, District V
Randy Cameron, AMA Vice President, District VI
Tim Jesky, AMA Vice President, District VII
Mark Johnston, AMA Vice President, District VIII
Jim Tiller, AMA Vice President, District IX
Lawrence Tougas, AMA Vice President, District X
Chuck Bower, AMA Vice President, District XI

© 1936-2014 Academy of Model Aeronautics.
5161 E. Memorial Dr., Muncie IN 47302
Tel.: (800) 435-9262; Fax.: (765) 289-4248
All rights reserved.              
www.modelaircraft.org

For comments on this communication please email marketing@modelaircraft.org. To unsubscribe click HERE.

2015-12-18
Use props
sunny1994
lvl.2

United States

Does the FAA really think this is going to stop morons from doing dumb things with their drones? The goal of the FAA is to ban drones all together when we haven't done anything wrong. Thats why we have to register so they know who's door to knock on when confiscation starts.
2015-12-20
Use props
pb05life
lvl.2

United States

sunny1994 Posted at 2015-12-21 01:13
Does the FAA really think this is going to stop morons from doing dumb things with their drones? The ...

i agree and the government can have my drone right after they pull the AK47 out of my dead hands. I have never broke a law with my drone but the real issue is the government wants to be the only people with eyes in the sky. I have spoke to a pilot that is my friend and he allows laughs that anyone would believe a drone could hurt a plane.
2015-12-22
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

I dont really see a problem "registering" a drone. and the cost is cheap.. The only issue I would have is. I know were are all guilty of this including me.. Most of us fly FPV over a considerable distance like Over 1000 ft away. At that distance I CAN NOT see my drone with the naked eye, And I know none of us use a second person as a spotter.. Where am I going with this? Well now we have a "tool" that the Police can use to "fine" us.. Say your out flying minding your own business.. A cop just happens to drive by, stop, come over and the first thing he asks is "where in the sky is your drone?"... When you say.. "well.. Its over there about 2500ft away... See here on the screen?"... BAMM... Now you get a Citation.... for "not within line of sight"... This goes true in some parks where there are Rangers driving around.. Where I live I can fly in some state parks and over the lake which is part of Army Corps. So much for the extended range antenna kits.....
2015-12-23
Use props
Cannae
New

United States

Kilted Flyer (D Posted at 2015-12-23 03:37
I dont really see a problem "registering" a drone. and the cost is cheap.. The only issue I would ha ...

You, then, are a contributor to the problem and not part of the solution.  You should get a citation.  Always fly within line of sight.  Don't be "that guy" who gives us all a bad rap.
2015-12-23
Use props
pb05life
lvl.2

United States

I found this a little extreme as well

What is the penalty for failing to register?

A. Failure to register an aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.
2015-12-23
Use props
pb05life
lvl.2

United States

has anyone been able to get the website to work? I can not login
2015-12-23
Use props
pb05life
lvl.2

United States

Here are some thoughts I have had after reading all the forums.

One thing I have found interesting is the US government has crashed 418 military drones causing massive amounts of damage and injuries. But you don't see them worrying about safety. They have over 10,000 drones many of which are flying over US territory at any given time. They have crashed into houses, other planes and even came close to hitting a school.

I have searched for a few hours now and I can not find a single death caused by a hobby drone, nor any major damage or any serious injuries. I can find a lot of rumors and lies and a few minor injuries.

What I also can find is many deaths caused by manned planes each year. They seem to be way more dangers then hobby drones. I would assume a passenger Jet falling from the sky on you would hurt much more then a few pound piece of plastic.

The simple fact is drones are no real danger to anyone ( no more then a stray baseball at a game ) and all the fear is just about the idea of what ( a terrorist could do ) well guess what if they are going to use a drone to cause harm making legal US Drone hobbyist register their drone is not going to stop them.

I am all for some common sense rules like no flying near major airports and the Whitehouse. But I think some of the restrictions are getting carried away. The main thing that most people like is using the drone as a camera to get amazing images from above. Which seems to be what they want to restrict the most.

Of all the things that people could worried about getting hurt by a drone hitting them should be at the very bottom of the list.

Lastly there are about 400,000 Manned aircraft registered in the US. Now they are estimating that there will be 500,000 drones sold in the US along just this holiday season. Add the 1.7 million already sold from the top 3 manufactures put drones sold around 2.2 million.  If even half of those people register their Drone at $5 that is a nice 5 million dollar income for the FAA. Makes me wonder if that was a big factor in this new requirement.  Just food for thought.

Well that is just some of my thoughts.
2015-12-23
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

Cannae Posted at 2015-12-24 02:16
You, then, are a contributor to the problem and not part of the solution.  You should get a citati ...

No Actually I'm not.. I don't fly near airports, over crowds, large events, etc. That is what started all this crap.. Not someone who flys at 400ft and less and 3000ft distance.. I have NEVER gotten into trouble with others while flying.

All I'm saying here now is Cops now have a "Tool" to harass us and nick pick us while flying.

BTW.. Some people can see better then others.. No I cant see mine at max radio range, and Im sure most othes cant either. If I fly out say 500-600 ft and look down at radio then back up, it will take me about several seconds  to find the small "dot" of a drone in the sky. And you could get a cop come up that claims they cant see it either even though you can see it. They still write a citation.

Bottom line.. These new regulations are going to kill the sales of long range antenna kits in USA. Guess they need to ban the P3 in the USA also since it can go 1.2 miles.... Mine can with stock radio....
2015-12-24
Use props
tonyray955
lvl.3

United States

They don't ask you the model of your drone. Only your name, address and e-mail.  They give you a reg. number that is good for all unmaned aircraft you own.
2015-12-28
Use props
SFOS900
lvl.1

United States

HI all,

I am an AMA member and I have already register as well with the FAA..... as I do not have anything to hide. Registering your aircraft does not help anything really.... if you want to do stupid stuff you will not register your aircraft for sure.

I really have to question the 500.000 new aircrafts being sold this Christmas? With this registration process many new dronies did not purchase a new drone therefore the FAA did stop even more US business making money.

I am not sure if you guys have read the FAA registration manual ? what really rubbed me the wrong way are the cost 37 Million US dollars per year to admin this process????? really all it is a stupid Pentium PC connected to the internet, costs $500 dollars and that is high. I have no idea where all this money will go? there are about 185.000 AMA members and if everyone pays $5 dollars that comes to $ 925.000 dollars for what ?

the registration of UAV's is okay in general but I would like to see that the money is spend wisely and not on some salaries for some government types, love to see those funds to be used to upgrade or air traffic system and other programs.
2015-12-29
Use props
RogersPhotograp
lvl.1
United States

pb05life@gmail. Posted at 2015-12-22 08:57
i agree and the government can have my drone right after they pull the AK47 out of my dead hands.  ...

I've flown a single engine Piper Comanche 190 for over 35 years and ("respectfully) your "pilot friend" doesn't know what the heck he is saying. If a drone were to hit a small/light aircraft flying 150-190 knots it would surely do a significant amount of damage to the aircraft and possibly the pilot and passengers.  Ever ride in a car and have a tiny rock hit your windshield at 60mph? Do you know what happens? Well I'll tell you what happens:  It cracks it. Now multiply that tiny rock by over 50x100x and speed it up by 3x.  Do a little research and see what a large bird can do which is about the same size. You may want to brush up on simple physics also. We're not just talking about small P2/P3s here it's the oversized Pro ones too.
If your "pilot friend" is so conviced nothing would happen maybe he would like to test it out with yours.

Don't be so smug. Not one of us has the right to put anybody else in harms way for an insignificant "hobby". The FAA rules in place are only unreasonable to unreasonable people.

2016-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules