Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 Imperial settings keep reverting to metric
863 9 2015-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Iflewbyyou
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1066076 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi, my Phantom 3's Imperial setting keeps reverting to metric.  I have changed it many times, and one time I was able to restart the P3 and still had Imperial (feet).  But the next time I used it, I was back to metric again.  Does anyone know where these settings are held? Are they kept in the Go App rather than in the Phantom 3 itself?  I would certainly think they would be stored in the bird itself, in some bank of flash RAM. It is very puzzling, and frustrating as well, that they are not being retained. Anything anyone can add to my understanding of where/how these settings should be retained, would be greatly appreciated.
2015-12-18
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-18
Use props
Iflewbyyou
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The mystery deepens, it may have to do with cold weather.  After the recent cold weather flight which made me start this thread, I kept my Phantom 3 in it's box for over an hour to avoid condensation.  During the flight, I had metric altitude and distance, which really bugs me.  But after it warmed up, I started it up to change back to imperial, only to find that it was still set to imperial.  This is the second time that I got home, warmed it up, and then found it was still set to imperial after flying in cold, about 1°C, and seeing metric while flying.  So it appears that the cold is playing a role.
2015-12-19
Use props
DL pilot cadet
lvl.2
Australia

Iflewbyyou Posted at 2015-12-20 01:53
The mystery deepens, it may have to do with cold weather.  After the recent cold weather flight whic ...

It may be a hint that metric makes sense and the rest of the planet has seen the light...feet are what you stand on and a mile is the old (ancient) way of saying 1.608 kilometers ;) oops thats 1608/1000

Just seeing the funny side mate, and stirring the pot on SIU and the resistance in uptake
"...While most countries replaced the mile with the kilometre when switching to the International System of Units, the international mile continues to be used in some countries, such as Liberia, Myanmar, the United Kingdom, the United States, and a number of countries with less than a million inhabitants, most of which are UK or US territories, or have close historical ties with the UK or US..." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile
2015-12-20
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 15812070 ft
  • >>>
United States

The setting will go back to default (Metric) when you any updates to any of the firmware on any of your devices including your Phantom and RC.
2015-12-20
Use props
quanthonytrang
First Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Try exiting the GO app before powering down the phantom.
2015-12-20
Use props
Iflewbyyou
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-12-20 09:46
Try exiting the GO app before powering down the phantom.

Thanks for the constructive offering, I will give that I try.
2015-12-22
Use props
Iflewbyyou
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-12-20 09:27
The setting will go back to default (Metric) when you any updates to any of the firmware on any of y ...

Never has in the past, but not relevant here either because I reset it several times since the last firmware upgrades.
2015-12-22
Use props
Iflewbyyou
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DL pilot cadet Posted at 2015-12-20 07:12
It may be a hint that metric makes sense and the rest of the planet has seen the light...feet are w ...

I can work in metric very well thank you, just prefer not to.  In the US, if we are educated, we know both metric and imperial quite well, and we use metric for all things scientific.  We still have a right to choose though, and for altitude/distance, I like miles best, as my car has imperial as does every other car sold in this country, as do all highway signs, so I am more comfortable as such. While it might be nice if we did go fully metric, we have not done so yet. So it would be nice if my Phantom 3 could realize where it lives, and remember it between flights.
2015-12-22
Use props
DL pilot cadet
lvl.2
Australia

Iflewbyyou Posted at 2015-12-23 15:34
I can work in metric very well thank you, just prefer not to.  In the US, if we are educated, we k ...

G'day Iflewbyyou,

thanks for the insight into how both systems are used in the US (must admit I was hoping the US would catch up and ditch the Imperial system, education as you hinted would be the limiting factor).
I agree, it would be nice if the software retained your preferences, I wish however that mine would forget which power level it needed and transmit FCC power instead of CE ;).

Happy flying and good luck with the units settings.

Cheers.
2015-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules