Altitude limit is wrong and No Fly Zone is wrong
3503 28 2015-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_
lvl.3
Vietnam

I am in Hanoi, Vietnam and was told I was in a "No Fly Zone" by the app.

There are several issues with this. Firt of all, Vietnam isn't even on the No Fly Zone list: http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc?www=v1. There is however a red, no fly zone circle on the map, in the app, which just seems to be centered on Hanoi in general. Ironically, there are no airports within this circle but there is an airport just OUTSIDE of the circle, toward the east. So basically I can't fly over this lake, because someone put very minimal thought into putting some general radius around something as random as Hanoi, Vietnam as a no fly zone, but I can fly near this airport all I want. Good one.

Another issue is that while in SaPa, Vietnam, which is in the middle of nowhere, I also have to deal with the issue of the 500m altitude limit. Since my starting point was 480m, or something similar, I could only go 20m or so before hitting the limit. Awesome..

So now, due to all of these retarded, big brother, issues, I have to hunt around for alternate firmware, or some other solution, just to be able to get fully-functioning use out of something I own! Thanks DJI! :-)

2015-12-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi David,
As far as the 500m limit, that starts from the altitude you are at. wheather you are at sea level or on top of a mountain, you can still fly up to 500m.
2015-12-21
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

I agree with David. Limitation and regulation are attempt for a freedom. Freedom is also responsibility, and UAV operator, not DJI, is responsible for his actions.

I can understand a limitations as a precautions for an unexperienced users, but this limitations should be easily able to remove. Many of users have licences and flying in their own EA zones where artifical limitations makes it impossible to perform the work.
2015-12-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Personally, I see no reason to fly over 500m but I know many want to. DJI have the safeguards there for a reason.
2015-12-22
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Poland

You can take unique photos and feel like a bird. We have EA zone for FPV flying here, so only one limit is DJI limit .... :/
2015-12-22
Use props
David_
lvl.3
Vietnam

Why is there a no fly zone in Hanoi, Vietnam? Also, if you are going to put one there, why does it NOT include the two airports here? Do you see the irony? The only solution is to fly with tinfoil in the drone so that it can't get GPS signal. But wait, it gets even more ironic and asinine. Now people will be flying in no fly zones with tinfoil on their drone to block GPS. This will generally mean they have less control over the drone and not know where it is as easily. That of course means they will be more likely to have an accident with it. So now, due to poorly thought out policies, people will be flying in no fly zones with a higher chance of having an accident. Smart.
2015-12-22
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Poland

I am waiting for online DJI no fly zone removal tool annoucement.
2015-12-23
Use props
vuviettuan
New

Vietnam

its the government area, so no flying over. too bad, we can only fly in the countryside i guess
2016-1-3
Use props
Ranini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 743287 ft
Mauritius

dji must mention all limits in their web site specification. because many ppl buy phantom 3 to stay down and shot over mountains. with 500m limit we can go to other very cheap model which have same function
2016-1-10
Use props
Ranini
lvl.4
Mauritius

we do understand security for human life or crash wiyh other aircraft but a study can be done to be able to fly high where there is no plane passing over some region
2016-1-10
Use props
Ranini
lvl.4
Mauritius

city or location where there are no plane that pass through i thing that a limit lift would be great
2016-1-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

If you see something incorrect in the app or map, email FlySafe@DJI.com and they will respond to you.
Also, the height restriction is from where you take off at, doesn't matter if you are at the beach or on top or a 1,000 mountain. Wherever you take off from , you can go up 500m unless you have beginner mode on or a low number in the Maximum Altitude setting.
2016-1-10
Use props
Annadale
New

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken, I understand that you can self authorize in a yellow zone by signing into your DJI account and verifying it with a credit card or phone number, but there is no section within my account to do this.  Do you know how this works.
2016-1-12
Use props
Annadale
New

United Kingdom

Has the geofencing update to the firmware been included in version 1.6 as nothing was mentioned in the release notes apart from the cold weather and battery discharge fixes.  DJI mention a beta version 1.07 for firmware and a beta Go app, but nothing since.  Is there another firmware Go version for this geofencing.  If DJI has included this in 1.6 and not told anyone about it being included that is very very underhand.
2016-1-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Annadale Posted at 2016-1-12 20:39
DJI-Ken, I understand that you can self authorize in a yellow zone by signing into your DJI account  ...

In order to be able to fly at airports, or other areas that are currently no fly zones, you need to update to the Beta firmware of 1.7 and 2.4.4 of the GO app (only works on Android for now)
Then if your in a yellow zone you will get the authorization popup.
You can always downgrade the aircraft and the app if you want.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
2016-1-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Annadale Posted at 2016-1-12 20:47
Has the geofencing update to the firmware been included in version 1.6 as nothing was mentioned in t ...

All the Geo authorization data is in 1.7
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
2016-1-12
Use props
alexdantas.acd
New

Brazil

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-12 13:33
In order to be able to fly at airports, or other areas that are currently no fly zones, you need t ...

So.. When i gonna get for IOS?! bcz i having same problem...

Look where are my city
[img]https://forum33.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/%5Burl=http://postimg.org/image/sezx7fgkd/%5D[/url][/img]

look in this city far like 200 Km

2016-1-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

alexdantas.acd@ Posted at 2016-1-13 04:19
So.. When i gonna get for IOS?! bcz i having same problem...

Look where are my city

I'm not sure on date for 1.7 on IOS.
2016-1-12
Use props
brandonperkins
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-12 10:33
In order to be able to fly at airports, or other areas that are currently no fly zones, you need t ...

Hi Ken- When I am asked if I would like to Unlock the area, I hit Yes, and a white pop-up window appears but is blank....and nothing else happens. Any suggestions?
2016-1-12
Use props
RovingEye
lvl.1

Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-23 04:49
Personally, I see no reason to fly over 500m but I know many want to. DJI have the safeguards there  ...

I agree that it makes sense when in urban/airspace situations.. but in remote and cliffside situations it makes no sense whatsoever to be artificially limited like this..

I have one object in mind "Ball's Pyramid" that comes straight out of the sea and peak is at 560m.. so I would love to fly right over it.. but it's no use at all to stop 60m short of the summit!

I am in the process of assessing competitive products for final purchase and need to know what is the future of this artificial limitation and it's removal for such situations..
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RovingEye Posted at 2016-1-15 19:18
I agree that it makes sense when in urban/airspace situations.. but in remote and cliffside situat ...

There may be the rare case to actually go that high and your situation is a rare case and unfortunately you will not be able to fly over the peak. You would be able to get a very cool point of interest shot still being 60m below the peak.
As far as removing the height limitation, you cannot do that. What happens in the future I do not know.Their are also several other DJI aircraft that would not give you a height limitation but those are not plug and play.
2016-1-15
Use props
RovingEye
lvl.1

Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-16 02:08
There may be the rare case to actually go that high and your situation is a rare case and unfortuna ...

So Matrice 100 would do it? no such limitations?

As long as I get X5 Camera options and control via Go App..
2016-1-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RovingEye Posted at 2016-1-16 05:01
So Matrice 100 would do it? no such limitations?

As long as I get X5 Camera options and control v ...

I was talking more about older products like flame wheels, S1000, etc
2016-1-15
Use props
thefatguy69
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-12 08:33

I got the new upgrade to 1.7.... JUNK!!!! I am a licensed pilot and volunteer for the county search and rescue. I could benefit from a much higher altitude. So far we saved 5 lives with drones. There were a few that could have been saved if we could lift altitude like when we first started. I got the new beta set up today.. got it all dialed in and I can not lift off any where in my county we live in a small farming community and cant fly????
2016-2-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

thefatguy69 Posted at 2016-2-19 11:08
I got the new upgrade to 1.7.... JUNK!!!! I am a licensed pilot and volunteer for the county searc ...

Explain why you say you cannot take off. If you correctly installed 1.7 on your aircraft (each aircraft has it's own firmware and they are all different downloads) and you installed 2.4.4 on your device  then everything will work.
You authorize the zone and it gives you permission to fly in it, it's really rather simple so I don't understand why you say it's junk and wouldn't let you take off.
2016-2-18
Use props
thefatguy69
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-18 19:21
Explain why you say you cannot take off. If you correctly installed 1.7 on your aircraft (each air ...

Well Ken I agree. Should be simple. However I tried the app download and obvi the firmware. I installed the correct fw/update for each according drone. I have 3 pros's and 2 Adv. My buddy has 1 of each and also tried the  upgrade. We now have a total of 7 totally bricked birds :/   I foiled the top of the drone to block signal and she flies.... take foil off and poof pile of blinking junk ;/ and I am now on hour 3 of trying to revert back to the 2.6 and ditch the 2.6+ so far its a fail.. tried 3 phones..2 tablets and even went to walmart and bought a brand new Galaxy and ONLY installed the natural app from google play.. still nada
2016-2-18
Use props
thefatguy69
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-2-18 19:21
Explain why you say you cannot take off. If you correctly installed 1.7 on your aircraft (each air ...

And to boot I purchased the Litchi app... Fail.. neither will allow the copter to fly. The warnings come up and the 2 boxes to check to allow flight then click accept.. many moments later a warning pops up and sais you can not unlock this zone
2016-2-18
Use props
thefatguy69
lvl.1

United States

still no luck on 20th attempt
2016-2-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

thefatguy69 Posted at 2016-2-19 11:27
Well Ken I agree. Should be simple. However I tried the app download and obvi the firmware. I inst ...

I don't know why you are not able to fly, can you post screen shots or a video of attempting to unlock a zone.
You can also unlock zones from your computer.You said you are trying to ditch 2.6+ and go back to 2.6. That means you ARE NOT on 2.4.4 GEO Beta app.

Here's some instructions I typed up last week.

Instructions for GEO Beta app download onto Android          device (currently only available for Android) IOS on request

Uninstall the GO app from device: Go to settings, Applications, Application manager, find GO app and uninstall.
Installing 2.2.4 GEO Beta app: Go to DJI Geo webpage http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
Click on Android Beta Version APK, Agree to terms and it will then download
Go to  My Files, in Recent files click on the DJI app icon and it may say “Install Blocked” click on settings (if you get a different error then go to settings and scroll down to “Lock Screen and Security” Under Unknown sources slide the button to ON. Then go back to the DJI icon in My Files and then tap the icon and click agree and then the new 2.4.4 GEO Beta version app will open.

You also have to install the 1.7 firmware for your aircraft from the same DJI link. (only available for the P3 Pro/Advanced and Inspire.
When you get to the flying site, if it’s an Authorization Zone you can unlock providing a credit card or mobile phone number (using cell will send you a text message with a code)
You can also unlock from home ahead of time by using the map page and you can unlock up to 30 zones and they will be unlocked for 72 hours.  http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock

2016-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules