!!! I want my money back !!!
2081 16 2015-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
martin94b
lvl.3
Germany

Guess we now waited long enough for a SW / Firmware update which DJI keep promising to fix most of the bugs.
Still nothing available so far...

As of today the OSMO is basically useless.
Just to mention a few of all the well known bugs and limitations WHICH HAVE NOT BEEN MENTIONED IN THE SPEZIFICATION:
- loud fan noise, internal mic nothing but a joke, even audio problems / cracks / noise / unsynchronity to video when recording with decoupled external mic. What´s a 4k video machine good for without recording audio?
- Slowly moving gimbal in many modes. Unacceptable.
- No 4K video in TimeLapse. This is against spezifikation and not tolerable at all.
- No 4096 x 2160 video. Again against the spezification.
- Uncontrollable moving gimbal during TimeLapse. Unacceptable.
- Strange crop factor during SlowMotion. Not mentioned in specification.
- Tripod not usable without extension rod. Again not mentioned in specification / shop. I´ll have to pay additional 15 Euro for shipment if I would now order it (for another 59 Euro) - not my fault that sales forgot to mention it. Unacceptable.
- Battery drain (Osmo itself and App)
- Service is a bad joke: they usually do respond quite fast though, but have nothing to offer but "eventually we will fix it" / there might be an update sometimes - and other excuses. No solution available whatsoever.
- .... the list could go on for quite a while.

Here is my Deadline to DJI:
- publish a new SW / Firmware which fixes at least a significant amount of the known bugs until Christmas eve. Or
- take back my osmo (incl. useless tripod) and return me my money! Or
- I will ask my lawyer to take care of that...

Anybody wants to join me?

I have no idea what drove DJI to sell such a buggy device. Maybe it´s due to christmas sales?!
Nevertheless - the much I loved DJI for their mature Phantom series the much I am upset about the OSMO and their service / sales behaviour.

2015-12-19
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I dont work for DJI but will try and respond, see my answer/opinion in RED..

As of today the OSMO is basically useless.
Just to mention a few of all the well known bugs and limitations WHICH HAVE NOT BEEN MENTIONED IN THE SPEZIFICATION:
- loud fan noise, internal mic nothing but a joke, even audio problems / cracks / noise / unsynchronity to video when recording with decoupled external mic. What´s a 4k video machine good for without recording audio? - The onboard is very unlikley to be fixed firmware wise. New firmware will enable the audio gain option in the app but I think that will be it. External mic is a must in my opinion. Bad onboard audio is not just in the Osmo, many expensive DSLR's have the same problem.
- Slowly moving gimbal in many modes. Unacceptable. - New firmware will resolve the slow re-centering. I have used my Osmo for many pain work and its definetly usable. Unless you go for a Ronin with a top end camera, you get what you pay for.
- No 4K video in TimeLapse. This is against spezifikation and not tolerable at all. - I doubt this will come and if it did I would not use it. Record timelapse as images and create the video manually.
- No 4096 x 2160 video. Again against the spezification. - Will be reslved in next firmware.
- Uncontrollable moving gimbal during TimeLapse. Unacceptable. - Next firmware.
- Strange crop factor during SlowMotion. Not mentioned in specification. - Its not a bug. Its because of the FOV change to 47°. This is mentioned in the spec.
- Tripod not usable without extension rod. Again not mentioned in specification / shop. I´ll have to pay additional 15 Euro for shipment if I would now order it (for another 59 Euro) - not my fault that sales forgot to mention it. Unacceptable. - Mentioned in the store when viewing the tripod.
- Battery drain (Osmo itself and App) - Its lower than quoted at sale but as with every figure like this it was gained undr "lab environments" just like a car's MPG.
- Service is a bad joke: they usually do respond quite fast though, but have nothing to offer but "eventually we will fix it" / there might be an update sometimes - and other excuses. No solution available whatsoever. - Getting better all the time..

End if, if youmare not happy send it back. Not sure what catagory of user you fall in ( amature home user, prosumer or full pro ) but the osmo is well capable it will just take a bit of time to to become bug free..
2015-12-19
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3
Germany

sploodge Posted at 2015-12-19 17:45

As of today the OSMO i ...

Hi Sploodge,

thx for your response.
Please see my answers in blue:

- The onboard is very unlikley to be fixed firmware wise. New firmware will enable the audio gain option in the app but I think that will be it. External mic is a must in my opinion.
I agree. Bad onboard audio is not just in the Osmo, many expensive DSLR's have the same problem. True for the onboard sound. But OSMO faces a lot of audio issues even with an external mic. Cracks and unsynchronity to name two of them. And that is pretty unique for a video camera ;-) Even with an external mic you don´t get acceptable results, thus it´s unusable in my oppinion. You could say: can be fixed with next update - I agree. But it is not as of today.
- Slowly moving gimbal in many modes. Unacceptable. - New firmware will resolve the slow re-centering. That´s what I hope and stated as well. But again: nothing so far. I tried a couple of handheld as well as tripod movies - in 4k and TimeLapse - all with uncontrollable gimbal movement. For me: unusable!
- No 4K video in TimeLapse. This is against spezifikation and not tolerable at all. - I doubt this will come and if it did I would not use it. Why not? I see no technical reason why not recording in full resolution? Why wouldn´t you use it? For me the 4K TimeLapse was THE reason to buy the osmo, together with the promise to later offer a pre programmable 2 Axis rotation for TimeLapsing. Record timelapse as images and create the video manually. Oh come on... then I would not have to buy an Osmo for Timelapsing?!
- No 4096 x 2160 video. Again against the spezification. - Will be reslved in next firmware. I agree - but nothing so far. When? Nobody knows, DJI just keeps putting users off.
- Uncontrollable moving gimbal during TimeLapse. Unacceptable. - Next firmware. I agree - but nothing so far.
- Strange crop factor during SlowMotion. Not mentioned in specification. - Its not a bug. Its because of the FOV change to 47°. This is mentioned in the spec. Yes you are right, I did not see it the other times I read the spec. Well hidden but yes, its mentioned. So I have to withdraw this one.
- Tripod not usable without extension rod. Again not mentioned in specification / shop. I´ll have to pay additional 15 Euro for shipment if I would now order it (for another 59 Euro) - not my fault that sales forgot to mention it. Unacceptable. - Mentioned in the store when viewing the tripod. That´s only half way true: Yes it´s (now) mentioned in the online web store (if you access the webpage via a PC). But it´s still (just checked it again) NOT mentioned if you order it via the DJI go App like I did.
- Battery drain (Osmo itself and App) - Its lower than quoted at sale but as with every figure like this it was gained undr "lab environments" just like a car's MPG. Agreed - that´s why I did not mark it as unacceptable. Still room for improvement, especially on the App side ;-)
- Service is a bad joke: they usually do respond quite fast though, but have nothing to offer but "eventually we will fix it" / there might be an update sometimes - and other excuses. No solution available whatsoever. - Getting better all the time.. Really?

End if, if youmare not happy send it back. That´s exactly what I am trying to do. I just cant - DJI only responses to it´s own one week return policy ignoring that they sold all of us green bananas with no fix so far...  Not sure what catagory of user you fall in ( amature home user, prosumer or full pro ) but the osmo is well capable it will just take a bit of time to to become bug free.. Maybe it WILL BE WELL CAPABLE sometimes (it´s definetly not right now). I agree and also see the potential of the OSMO. But as of today it´s so buggy it´s basically useless and not providing the promised features I paid for. This is going on for weeks now. I want DJI to either get the fixes out very soon OR give me my money back. Fixing is the preferred option by the way ;-)
2015-12-19
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

sploodge Posted at 2015-12-20 00:45

As of today the OSMO i ...

Thanks for the reply, sploodge.
2015-12-20
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

martin94b Posted at 2015-12-20 02:13
Hi Sploodge,

thx for your response.

Hi, thanks for the feedbacks.
1)About the audio issue, sorry about the noise, since the gimbal needs heat dissipation, this noise can't be sovled temporarily.  We mentioned the onboard noise in the user manual, and the engineers are trying to provide more audio function to improve it. For high quality audio, external mic is recommended to use.  About the audio cracks and unsynchronity, we are trying to collect files from users who have this problem and haven't got feedback yet. If you have any originals files to help us locate the reason, please upload the files and send the download link here.
2)About slowly moving gimbal, the app have provided different gimbal settings including the custom C1 and C2 settings where you can set the speed of the axis individually. Does the max speed still not fast enough for you?  If you have any suggestions about the movement of gimbal, welcome to give your suggestions here.
3) 4K Timelapse: Even for the PC, the 4K timelapse editing is challenging. So direct files editing by Osmo is not possible for the current hardware composition or current technology for such a small device. That's why we provide the original files so the professional customers can make their own 4k timelapse on the computer. Also, we're developing PC software to help with the 4K timelapse editing.
4)4096*2160 video shooting issue: This issue has already been solved in the next firmware.
5)Controllable moving gimbal: This is a function under developing already, it will come when it's been fully tested and developed.
6) SlowMotion: As mentioned in the specs the FOV becomes 47. Another limitation of the hardware, we're trying to improve this by the algorithm and software.
7) Tripod and extension rod: About the order from DJI GO app without the mention of extension rod, I will report the sales department. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
8)Service: We're strive to improve our after sales service, if you have any complaints about the service, please feel free to point it out in details. Your criticism will help us learn our shortage and improve our service.
I am really sorry for the delayed firmware release and the inconvenience caused by the firmware issue. The R&D team are concentrating on revising and testing the firmware day and night and the firmware is during the final test period. We all want to solve this problem and liberate all the abilities of Osmo as soon as possible. Your patience during this long waiting period is highly appreciated.

2015-12-20
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3
Germany

Thx for your Reply Amy,

1) "About the audio cracks and unsynchronity, we are trying to collect files from users who have this problem and haven't got feedback yet. If you have any originals files to help us locate the reason, please upload the files and send the download link here."
Don´t you have some Osmos yourself to test? It seems as this is a systematic error (within Software / Firmware) and affects ALL Osmos rather than being a single device failure?! Did you / your R&D never test it before? Just shoot a let´s say 5 Min 4k Video with Audio and then figure out the asynchronity... Please don´t wait for files and hide behind the waiting argument - be proactive and fix your bugs!
2)About slowly moving gimbal, the app have provided different gimbal settings including the custom C1 and C2 settings where you can set the speed of the axis individually. Does the max speed still not fast enough for you?  If you have any suggestions about the movement of gimbal, welcome to give your suggestions here.
I guess I was unclear in that statement: I am not complaining about a too slow gimbal movement at all. Rather I am complaining (like many others) about a constant slow gimbal movement which was unintended and ruins statical video and timelapse recording (see point 5). And yes I know you will state that the problem is well known and analyzed and will be fixed etc. But again: currently nothing is fixed, and my deadline is running - two more days.
3) 4K Timelapse: Even for the PC, the 4K timelapse editing is challenging. So direct files editing by Osmo is not possible for the current hardware composition or current technology for such a small device. That's why we provide the original files so the professional customers can make their own 4k timelapse on the computer. Also, we're developing PC software to help with the 4K timelapse editing.
??? I don´t get your point: The Osmo is capable of recording 4k 24fps but not capable of recording 4k 1Hz or below? Sorry, that doesn´t make any sense to me at all and just sounds like another bad excuse for not providing key features of the Osmo which I paid for. If I still need a Post PC-production for getting my 4k timelapse movie I was able to do that even before Osmo with any of my DSLR or other digital cameras. The point for buying an Osmo was to get rid of the Post-production movie making effort... And of course the pro-programmable 2-axis rotation for timelapse, all within one device just as you Amy promised it. But thats another point and I am not complaining about that feature not being published yet.
4)4096*2160 video shooting issue: This issue has already been solved in the next firmware. Which new firmware? The one we are waiting for since weeks / months? ;-(
5)UNControllable moving gimbal: This is a function under developing already, it will come when it's been fully tested and developed. Sorry, again nothing but a vague promise (which - frankly - I do not trust anymore). But I hope we are on the same track in respect to this bug? Its about a random gimbal movement that happens all by itself (or a little wind) every once in a while when mounted to a tripod. So its unwanted uncontrollable gimbal movement! It´s one of those bugs which makes the Osmo basically useless, so lets fix it fast! 2 more days...
6) SlowMotion: As mentioned in the specs the FOV becomes 47. Another limitation of the hardware, we're trying to improve this by the algorithm and software. Good to hear. As I stated above I withdraw my complaint about the FOV / digital zoom not mentioned in the Spec, as indeed it is mentioned.
7) Tripod and extension rod: About the order from DJI GO app without the mention of extension rod, I will report the sales department. Sorry for the inconvenience caused. So whats your point here? Don´t you think I already contacted sales several times? Do you think they have anything to offer to a pissed off customer? You should know better - Sales doesn´t offer nothing in that matter. I have to pay >15 Euro for shipping period. Do your homework when selling your accessories (homepage as well as App). If you have redundant sales information systems, keep them in Synch - oh I get it: synching is not your key competence at DJI (see 1). Sorry for that sarcastic joke, but it seemed too nearby to miss it ;-)
8)Service: We're strive to improve our after sales service, if you have any complaints about the service, please feel free to point it out in details. Your criticism will help us learn our shortage and improve our service. Well, to be frank again: your response here is just another good example for what I call bad service - and it´s not against you personally. All you do and most likely are able to do is to put customers off with vague promises on some future updates. Nothing solid, nothing reliable, nothing precise. No solution to our problems.
You (Amy and other service people) are in a pretty bad situation currently, having to deal with offended customers and left alone by your company (R&D department, Sales, management..). But since you are in contact with us customers, you get all the bullshitting. My suggestion: take your frustration to those departments. Every day, every hour, every complaint you get. Every minute if neccessary! Make them feel your / our pain AND GET THEM TO DELIVER SOLUTIONS!
I would not like to swap jobs with you currently.

My Deadline is solid and precise: Firmware which fixes most of the essential bugs until christmas evening (2 more days) or give me my money back!
2015-12-22
Use props
john_willetts.h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

martin94b Posted at 2015-12-22 10:13
Thx for your Reply Amy,

I have had 3 DJI Phantoms. In my book they have done a good job in updating both the Apps and Firmware.

Do you not have anything positive to say about this revolutionary piece of kit? Its advantages far outweigh the shortcomings. Why can't you find ways to work round these problems and show a little patience.

Our role is to point out problems - and ask questions - for DJI  to address.

John Willetts ARPS
(distinction in Narrative Multimedia from the Royal Photographic Society)

2015-12-22
Use props
thgrab
lvl.2
Germany

john_willetts.h Posted at 2015-12-22 13:48
I have had 3 DJI Phantoms. In my book they have done a good job in updating both the Apps and Firm ...

You are right John !
But some times ist can be frustrating to feel like a unpaid  Beta-Tester. And the OSMO is not cheap.
2015-12-22
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3
Germany

john_willetts.h Posted at 2015-12-22 13:48
I have had 3 DJI Phantoms. In my book they have done a good job in updating both the Apps and Firm ...

Hey John,

I also have a P3P and THAT device is just awesome.
I did trust DJI to be able to produce another as reliable and good device, the Osmo.
Thats why I became an early adoptor, I liked the concept and the specification.

But truth is: the Osmo currently is unusable, nothing really works as expected. Its just one sequence of frustration.
And I am frustrated not only to be a Beta tester but also about the release and communication strategy of DJI in this respect. We HAVE been patient. Long enough!

John, do you also own an Osmo? Did you ever try what has been reported to be buggy in this forum?

Imagine you would have bought a Phantom and you are able to start the engine and eventually it will even be able to lift off but then not be able to control the flying Phantom at all - instead its flying away by its own... then waiting for weeks and months for bugfixes - would you still be as "relaxed" as you expect us Osmo users to be?

And no, I dont think it´s our job to be a patient consumer which just has to buy and pay for buggy devices. We paid and expect an equivalent value in return. And the current Osmo is not. Period.

But yes, there are chances that many of the bugs can be fixed via SW/FW update. The Osmo still has the potential to become a great and succesfull device. We will see. But currently it ain´t.

Regards
Martin

"Its advantages far outweigh the shortcomings"
Please let me know of any advantage in respect to 4k video recording (incl. audio) or timelapsing that I missed...
And how you as a distinctive Super Pro User can be satisfied at all with all that bugs like audio unsynchronity and clicking (even when using external mics), moving gimbal and all?!
2015-12-22
Use props
john_willetts.h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

martin94b Posted at 2015-12-22 13:52
Hey John,

I also have a P3P and THAT device is just awesome.

The early Phantoms were not bug free. We have had them 'escape' a few times but no crashes. My Aviator partner is in her mid 60's and religiously reads, watches videos and practises so she knows what to do in an emergency.

Yes, I do have an Osmo. Using it is a learning process. It is not without bugs - the most serious being the near object wobbling. See the car shaking inthe first clip of this video     (password xmas15)  but it willl be fixed and there is no other way to get hand held stable shots from a fast moving vehicle. I suppose my other want is much more information tn the handbook. I can live without time lapse although you don't get problems with 8 second sequences. UHD on a new Samsung curved TV,is mindblowing - but it's only a party piece until more viewers buy sets (my computer monitors do not do it justice)
2015-12-22
Use props
Highranger
lvl.2
Australia

Hey Martin, maybe tone down the Lawyer bit? it reveals a misunderstanding of how practical any Lawyer can be solving a basic consumer issue, even if you were both in the same country.

2015-12-24
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

Its takes time for perfection. Its not useless. Compared to other handheld and lightweight gimbals, this one is a winner. Seems like it didn't meet your standards. I believe they have a 7 day money back guarantee?
2015-12-25
Use props
onebukkfilms
New

Australia

john_willetts.h Posted at 2015-12-23 03:28
The early Phantoms were not bug free. We have had them 'escape' a few times but no crashes. My Avia ...

The near Object wobbling is due to the parallax effect. The closer you get to the object the motion is compounded, so a small amount of hand movement will be seen as a larger shake the closer you get to an object.  the gimbal is doing a great job, but the slight left to right movement of you hand can been seen as the close up object will have a greater parallax Hope that helps
2015-12-26
Use props
onebukkfilms
New

Australia

The early Phantoms were not bug free. We have had them 'escape' a few times but no crashes. My Avia ...

The near Object wobbling is due to the parallax effect. The closer you get to the object the motion is compounded, so a small amount of hand movement will be seen as a larger shake the closer you get to an object.  the gimbal is doing a great job, but the slight left to right movement of you hand can been seen as the close up object will have a greater parallax Hope that helps

2015-12-26
Use props
onebukkfilms
New

Australia

The near Object wobbling is due to the parallax effect. The closer you get to the object the motion is compounded, so a small amount of hand movement will be seen as a larger shake the closer you get to an object.  the gimbal is doing a great job, but the slight left to right movement of your hand can been seen as the close up object will have a greater parallax So unless you physically mount the osmo to the Object (the car or to the seat) it will always move slightly differently to the object Hope that helps
2015-12-26
Use props
Abbas Khan
New

Pakistan

Hi, I Just Purchased the Osmo few days back with 4 batteries on it, Now I am facing Problems, Updated the Latest firmware, After I on it, it worked with connecting wify, as soon as I connected it with the Mobile and it started working but after off, when I restarted it, its fan stopped working, the red light on right side blinks and green on left for a while and it shuts down, the batteries shows full when i think may be the battries not charged, so any one could pls help me sort out this problem... as mentally I am too much depressed with it, we purchase the product for easiness in life, but they give too much trouble... I hope that DJI Customer Support will help me sort the problem..  Abbas Khan Pakistan  00923333785549 abbaskhan.pg@gmail.com
2016-5-22
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Abbas Khan Posted at 2016-5-23 01:12
Hi, I Just Purchased the Osmo few days back with 4 batteries on it, Now I am facing Problems, Update ...

Hi Abbas,
Can you confirm with me if you accidentally switch your Osmo into sleep mode?
From the normal working status to Sleep mode, the fan will stop working when it cools down itself.
The left LED is for the camera status, if it grows green, please check your SD card.
The red light on the right LED usually implies a low power battery situation. Since you've had 4 batteries, please exclude the problem with your spare batteries.

Any further feedback would be appreciated.
2016-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules