Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Land or Catch Land?
5447 23 2015-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bugsysiegals
lvl.1

United States

I've only flown my new Phantom twice now but both times I lowered it close to where I was standing, reached over, grabbed onto it, and held down on the throttle with the other hand.  It's easier and less likely to have a mishap from landing on the ground so my question is how many of you land on the ground or catch in the air?  For those who land on the ground is there a reason you do?
2015-12-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I always land the aircraft, no reason not to. You might do a catch if there is nowhere decent to land, but I always make sure I have a landing place selected.
2015-12-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I have a small take off/landing pad, but often land on the ground or short grass.

I don't fly from precarious locations too often, so not a problem, plus I am confident in my landing ability.

Also I play a Yamaha Motif XF8, so I very much wish to keep my tactility intact. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-12-19
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Proper landing is great exercise  and saves your gimbal a lot of work.
Hand catching is ok when there's no flat surface to land on though but be careful!
2015-12-19
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

l've never landed the P3 on the ground. l landed the P2 when l first got it but switched over to hand-catching almost right away.
2015-12-19
Use props
Total
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

I use the left control and slowly lower the P3 until I touch ground , keep the left control down until the motors shut off ..   SO I Never hand catch ..
2015-12-19
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I land on the ground most of the time because there's no reason not to.  If you land properly, it is the safest way to land.  If there is something wrong with the landing surface, like tall grass, rocks, etc., I'll hand launch and catch.  However, it isn't my preferred.
2015-12-19
Use props
koine777
lvl.2

United States

I've only hand caught one time because I was on top of a mountain and there were too many rocks to land safely. Otherwise, I always take off and land from the ground.
2015-12-19
Use props
koine777
lvl.2

United States

I hand caught once because I was on top of a mountain and there were too many rocks to land safely. Otherwise, I always take off and land from the ground.
2015-12-19
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

Hand catch ALWAYS, less chance of a tip over and broken blades.
2015-12-20
Use props
Adam
lvl.1

Sweden

I find that I pretty often have trouble to find good locations to start and land from. The main problem is that the camera is mounted so close to the ground that the lens sometimes gets wet.

I have yet to catch land, however.
2015-12-20
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

I almost always land, I have hand caught a few times for fun, but one thing I do is usually land and take off in Atti. That way there is only one pilot and I keep the visual/sonar system off too.

Nice thing about atti is you really become aware of the wind. Sometimes I wish the P3P had full manual mode, that really teaches you how to fly.
2015-12-20
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

When I first got the P2 I landed on my case.  This lasted about 4 flights.  Since then hand catch all the time.  My P3P has never landed - 100% hand caught.
2015-12-20
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Normally I land on the ground, I like to practice putting it exactly where I want it, landing on a dime as they say. I hand catch every so often. Do your shutdown by bringing the throttle all the way down. If you do a CSC shutdown the Phantom will most likely tip and you may have prop damage.
2015-12-20
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

With hand catching, all it takes is one mistake and you'll be headed to the emergency room to get your hand or arm stitched back together.

My nitro copter with 3 foot long blades mandated a landing pad, or the coroner may be paying your remains a visit.
2015-12-20
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I don'c catch because:

2015-12-20
Use props
bugsysiegals
lvl.1

United States

There's certainly a good amount of people on both sides of the fence, I wasn't expecting that!  I sit in front of a computer during the day, play guitar, drums, piano, so my fingers are important to me.  I have a wood shop in the basement and am very careful as not to lose my fingers.  I've only flown in low wind so far and in GPS mode so I never considered I'd have any issues like those in the pictures; however, with some of the threads I've read regarding the latest firmware, etc. I suppose something like this could happen and I'd rather lose some props than taking one to my body...
2015-12-20
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Sometimes I simply find it more convenient to land my Phantom a little bit away from where I'm standing. I tried catching it a couple of times. If you're careful it seems fine.

I just figured if I land it on the ground and something goes wrong, it has a more difficult chance of harming my arm, my hand, my fingers, etc.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-12-20
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

There are excuses for hand catching even though it is'nt allways successful , specially if youre a little Mental
2015-12-20
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Norway

Came across a video for us Hand Catchers to see

2015-12-20
Use props
koine777
lvl.2

United States

If you use prop guards and it tips over during landing, your blades should be fine. Don't land so hard and only land vertically. Unless you can't safely land, I really see no need for hand catching. It's not worth the risk.
2015-12-20
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

Hand catch is very dangerous . It's recommended to land the aircraft in a normal way . For your own safety , please take care of that !
2015-12-21
Use props
starfighters
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1358215 ft
United Kingdom

Hi.

I guess it's better land it on the ground in order to avoid injuries.
When landind or take off in place where it's difficult start from ground i catch it,but it's not a good habit
2015-12-21
Use props
bugsysiegals
lvl.1

United States

Wow, that video was intense!  I didn't realize the Phantom blades had such cutting power!!  Definitely need to land it normally for now on.  Thanks for sharing, I didn't realize it had that kind of power.
2015-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules