Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
X5R vs. X5 Camera
1169 9 2015-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

What kind of post skills do I need to optimise the capabilities of the X5R camera versous the X5?
2015-12-19
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not sure yet, X5R still has not released.
2015-12-19
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

kind of professional...  I'm not sure in fact...Videographers , need your advise...
2015-12-20
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

Hi There -

First of all you need to ask yourself a few questions.

Most importantly, what do you plan on using your aerial platform for? Still photos or filming?

Still photos = X5
Filming = X5 or X5R

Next to your question. You don't need any specific set of "skills" to benefit from the higher bit/data rates, and RAW recording capabilities HOWEVER you will need to learn how to properly color grade your footage. If you've never worked with RAW images/film (BM or RED .R3d files) it's not something you'll learn overnight but once you've got the basics of color theory down and understand how curves work you will start to really enjoy the additional latitude and dynamic range you have with a RAW workflow. Straight from the sensor images/film clips will look flat, lack contrast, color, saturation and sharpness. This is ideal. It gives you a blank canvas (so to speak) to manipulate the image data to how you see fit. Contrary to the X3 and the X5 cameras where you have essentially a baked in highly compressed h.264 video file, with RAW recording, you are getting the file in it's RAWest form (hence the name).

Now the biggest determining factor for me and for everyone should be is it worth the extra cost and risk? I've yet to see any sample footage and DJI is lagging on their release. Personally, I'm a little apprehensive about investing in a $5k MFT camera that will dangle beneath a quad. If one prop fails, my $5k camera is toast. The X5 can achieve amazing results with properly lit scenes, the right shutter angle, exposure, focus and a skilled operator with smooth moves on the controls. Once you've mastered that, it becomes what are you going to do with your footage and how well can you color correct/grade the clips.

Most users on here seem to be skilled pilots, but are poor editors and colorists. I'm going to take some time over x-mas break to re-do a few color grading tutorials. I'll be sure to post them up to help. I'll even grade some RED EPIC DRAGON files to show you the before and after of a true RAW file.

-Scott
2015-12-20
Use props
bahamasky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3240535 ft
Bahamas

Great stuff Scooter I'll be waiting for the tutorials. Tag me when unreleased them please.

Thanks!
2015-12-21
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

scooterlam Posted at 2015-12-21 01:14
Hi There -

First of all you need to ask yourself a few questions.

Very informative to me Scooterlam. Thank you!
2015-12-22
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Shooting RAW takes a bit of getting used to.  It moves the emphasis from using preset camera modes to creating the final look in post.   This includes setting the ISO, color temperature and many of the other settings that ultimately create the look.

This means you need to have a few skills to get the best result.

Think of it this way, The X3/X5 "burn" the look into the footage, which means you can't change it too much in post before it falls apart.

The X5R shoots RAW, which essentially means it simply records whatever the sensor sees and then you do the rest in post.  This offers tremendous flexibility but could be a double edged sword if you aren't good at working the image yourself.  In other words some people will be better off with the predetermined looks from the X3/X5.  

Another road is using LUTS, which I'm sure will come out for the X5R soon after release.  

Jim
2015-12-23
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-12-23 07:40
Shooting RAW takes a bit of getting used to.  It moves the emphasis from using preset camera modes t ...

Good advice, Jim. Thanks you!
2015-12-24
Use props
Dragonflyin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16562 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-12-23 08:40
Shooting RAW takes a bit of getting used to.  It moves the emphasis from using preset camera modes t ...

Thanks Jim.  Do you have any links to any LUT's for the x5 that you recommend?  I'd really appreciate that, thanks...and Merry Christmas!
2015-12-24
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Dragonflyin Posted at 2015-12-25 17:33
Thanks Jim.  Do you have any links to any LUT's for the x5 that you recommend?  I'd really appreci ...

I don't have an X5 so I haven't explored any LUTs, but imagine many will be coming on the market.
2015-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules