Help! flip on take off!
6272 25 2015-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
englishsiemiano
New

Poland

Ive just upgraded the firmware to v1.5.0030 on my P3P, whch by the way, Im very happy with after many fantastic flying hours.

I took off after having been warned about bieng on the border of a no fly zone, (A helicopter landing pad in my nearby park) I had no other errors or warnings and everything was calibrated correctly. after taking off it dived to the side and hit the ground, flipped over and I cut the motors as quickly as I could.

Ive now replaced all 4 broken props and re-calibrated, and when about to take off its pulling to one side, and Im worried that if I continue with take off it will flip like before.

Does anyone have any ideas what should I do? Im thinking about taking it to my local model shop and letting them deal with it, is that the best approach?

Its 3 Months old and well looked after!

Please help! Jack

2015-12-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The only thing I can think of is to ask if you had taken off and then landed again. There has been a situation known about where it can flip over when taking off if it has just landed and you did not shut the motors down. If you shut the motors down then re-start them all is OK.
2015-12-19
Use props
englishsiemiano
New

Poland

Geebax Posted at 2015-12-19 21:59
The only thing I can think of is to ask if you had taken off and then landed again. There has been a ...

Hey! it was the first take off of that flight.
2015-12-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Are all of the four motors spinning true. Could you possibly have bent a motor shaft?
Do all four of the rotor blades still spin freely?
Try turning each motor by hand, do they feel the same?

RedHotPoker
2015-12-19
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

You must take off at full throttle or this can happen.
2015-12-19
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2015-12-19 16:24
You must take off at full throttle or this can happen.

This is pure BS!
2015-12-19
Use props
Evan P3P
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54593 ft
France

Hello,

For my point of view, first things to do is to downgrad in 1.4 and redo a complete calibration and (IOC and compass).
2015-12-20
Use props
jag01usn
lvl.3
United States

Ok Let's start with the IMU. Try calibrating that first on a very level surface and see if that goes ok.
2015-12-20
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is happening is one or more of your motors is revving up to a higher speed than the others. Try the suggestions above re: calibration also to insure everything is in sync. A little tipping either way seems to be normal. I tend to use both sticks when taking off and landing for that matter. A hard over and crash is not normal.
2015-12-20
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

Evan P3P Posted at 2015-12-20 20:19
Hello,

For my point of view, first things to do is to downgrad in 1.4 and redo a complete calibrati ...

Why downgrade the firmware? Is there a suspicion that the firmware is the problem?
2015-12-20
Use props
kmoreman
lvl.2

United States

Make sure you are in Mode 2 and calibrate your sticks.
2015-12-20
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

kmoreman@msn.co Posted at 2015-12-21 00:18
Make sure you are in Mode 2 and calibrate your sticks.

Just trying to learn here. Why?
2015-12-20
Use props
Evan P3P
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54593 ft
France

sifu128 Posted at 2015-12-20 16:38
Why downgrade the firmware? Is there a suspicion that the firmware is the problem?

The firmware 1.5 is currently the subject about a lot of crash discussion.
I crash few days ago my P3P without any understandable reason (6 sec after takeoff shudown during flight).
I am pretty sure that this is the new firmware which generate these issues (I never had problem before).
You can look after the other topic, a lot of people are impacted by problems do to 1.5 version (vibration, crash, battery level ....)
2015-12-20
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

Evan P3P Posted at 2015-12-21 01:44
The firmware 1.5 is currently the subject about a lot of crash discussion.
I crash few days ago my ...

I did see that and actually add it as a favorite your post as well as another. It seems that DJI doesn't want to comment on the potential problem which is a huge concern for me as my drone will be here for Christmas. I am very hesitate to upgrade to only have the drone crash and for DJI to try to push back on the problem as they have in other replies that it was user error because of the battery not being at 100% and or it being too cold (which seems to be a big reason for concern as some have crashed *well* within the limits suggested).
2015-12-20
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-12-20 10:36
What is happening is one or more of your motors is revving up to a higher speed than the others. Try ...

Just curious. If you're using Mode 2 (throttle on the left), pressing the left joystick forward will effect a takeoff. What are you doing with the stick on the right during takeoff?

Or are you talking about starting the motors?

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-12-20
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

Hi , Jack
Please make sure your props are installed correctly . And confirm your RC is set in the correct mode and try a RC calibration before flight .
2015-12-21
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-12-20 21:35
Just curious. If you're using Mode 2 (throttle on the left), pressing the left joystick forward wil ...

Art, I do use Mode 2. I always have had a little bit of tip intake off with all of my Phantoms. It is not alarming or critical. In fact I enjoy it,puts me in control. Th tip is very slight, so much so ifI let it go it will still take off without any issues. What English  is stating is that it banks right over  and crashing. Something is wrong somewhere.
2015-12-21
Use props
englishsiemiano
New

United Kingdom

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-21 08:40
Hi , Jack
Please make sure your props are installed correctly . And confirm your RC is set in the co ...

Hey Patrick thanks for your reply, props are correctly installed, there were only 2 conditions that had changed on this flight compared to previous flights, and that was,  1. new firmware and 2. taking off on the border of a no fly zone, these are the only things that I can take into consideration as factors for causing the crash.

It's a shame as after many hours of flying, I really had alot of trust in the phantom, compared to other quad-copters I've owned previously.

I'm hesitant to fly, as after reading about others crashing after update, I'm now realizing that this could be a warranty issue.
2015-12-21
Use props
ksunsingh
lvl.2

United States

jag01usn Posted at 2015-12-20 04:31
Ok Let's start with the IMU. Try calibrating that first on a very level surface and see if that goes ...

I agree, try an IMU cal
My camera was acting funny (in the "gimbal overload error" sense, not telling joke sense) after a previous firmware update...i did a IMU cal and it worked fine after that (you want a steady flat level surface and cold phantom when doing IMU)
2015-12-21
Use props
kmoreman
lvl.2

United States

sifu128 Posted at 2015-12-20 10:43
Just trying to learn here. Why?

When I got my first pv2 vision plus, I was setting it up.  I, for ome unknown reason, changed from mode 2 to mode 1. When I tried to take off, it would flip.  In requested help from the vision plus board and some kindly gentleman said.........Make sure you are in Mode 2 and calibrate your sticks.  I did and problem was solved
2015-12-21
Use props
ranges
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-21 03:40
Hi , Jack
Please make sure your props are installed correctly . And confirm your RC is set in the co ...

What would be an incorrect way to install the props?
2015-12-21
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-21
Use props
sifu128
lvl.3

United States

kmoreman@msn.co Posted at 2015-12-22 06:44
When I got my first pv2 vision plus, I was setting it up.  I, for ome unknown reason, changed from ...

Thanks! I just researched this and from what I can see if the rc is in manual mode you can do flips and roll stunts. Not for the beginner (me)
2015-12-21
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

englishsiemiano Posted at 2015-12-22 03:53
Hey Patrick thanks for your reply, props are correctly installed, there were only 2 conditions tha ...

Try an IMU calibration . If that doesn't get better , please upload your .DAT file and contact support center for an analysis .
Europe.jpg
2015-12-22
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

ranges Posted at 2015-12-22 06:47
What would be an incorrect way to install the props?

Some people may put a CW propeller on a CCW motor even the whorl is not corresponded .
2015-12-22
Use props
bill
lvl.3

United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-12-21 17:55
Its impossible to install the props incorrectly.

Could also cross thread a prop which would could result in a different angle where the prop meets the motor shaft. Not sure if it would be enough of an angle to throw off the lift or not but it would seem reasonable that it could be.
2015-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules