Calibration & Throttle Down Issues
2035 21 2015-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

Received my P3P yesterday & I think I have a calibration issue. I rotated it counterclockwise in a horizontal position & the LED turned Green in the rear but when I rotated it vertically the LED's did blink green quickly but when I put it down to lock on satelite positions the lights in the front turned Solid Red. Screen showed I was locked onto 11-12 satelites. LED's in the rear were blinking Green & the LED's in front were solid Red. Usually rule of thumb is Green is Good Red is Bad. Any thoughts? At the top of my screen it says 'Safe To Fly', so I did, flew it about 10 feet straight up & did some turns then landed but didn't seem right.

I also had another issue with throttle. I landed the P3P & while it was on the ground (the stick in neutral position) I heard it powering up ever so slightly, after about 30 seconds it started to lift off the ground on one side. Two propellers on one side of the P3P were spinning faster then the other two & it started to lift up in a sideways motion. Anyone experience this?

2015-12-20
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to the incredible technology of the P3!!!!!

The rear LEDs provide feedback with green, red, and yellow. The front LEDs provide visual feedback and are always RED. Because the front LEDs can cast a reflection in photos or videos, they can be turned off in the GO app. The rear ones can't be turned off.

Sorry, but I normally power off after landing by holding the throttle down for three seconds. Was there any wind or perhaps was the throttle not fully at idle?
2015-12-20
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your front lights should be solid red and rear lights flashing green, as this is normal.
They can be turned off via Go app if they get in the way when you are photographing.
As for the throttle issue it could be wind or turbulence created by rotors.  I would shut down
motors immediately after landing if there is any wind.
2015-12-20
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

terrylewis Posted at 2015-12-20 14:48
Welcome to the incredible technology of the P3!!!!!

The rear LEDs provide feedback with green, red, ...

Once the P3P was on the ground & the stick was returned to the neutral position it should have powered the props down significantly to a idle speed, such as when you first activate the motors. The idle speed was very high like just before lift off. The only way I could get it to drop to idle speed was to move the stick downward, almost to the stop position, actually it was almost like it was stuck & I had to move the stick back & forth a few times before it slowed the props down. The weird thing was it started to take off slightly by itself & I wasn't even on the stick. Started to throttle up by itself on one side of the P3P. There was no wind either. I have been flying a Blade Chroma & when you land & release the stick it powers down to idle speed & doesn't move. Just trying to get a feel for what's normal for the P3P. I was a bit hesitant purchasing one but the reviews were great but support was terrible.
2015-12-20
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 2015-12-20 15:02
Your front lights should be solid red and rear lights flashing green, as this is normal.
They can b ...

Once I activate the go app where do I find it? I've been all over the screen & menus have not found nothing like that.
2015-12-20
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

They can b ...

Once I activate the go app where do I find it? I've been all over the screen & menus have not found nothing like that.
2015-12-20
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jpflkeys Posted at 2015-12-21 04:29
Once the P3P was on the ground & the stick was returned to the neutral position it should have pow ...

Try calibrating remote control.   As for shutting the front lights, I am not sure of procedure as I do not have access to my drone.  (but it is there somewhere). Hopefully someone else can help you.
2015-12-20
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 2015-12-20 16:06
Try calibrating remote control.   As for shutting the front lights, I am not sure of procedure as  ...

I didn't know the remote could be calibrated, how do you do this. Didn't see anything in the manual.
2015-12-20
Use props
nigelwilkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Check the height readout on the app when it's landed.  If it thinks it's still in the air it will constantly adjust motor speed to keep at the height it thinks it's at, which will drift due to the sensitivity necessary.  The barometer isn't accurate enough to know it's at exactly ground level.  Mine always does it, hence when you land, just keep the stick fully down & power off the motors.
2015-12-20
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jpflkeys Posted at 2015-12-20 17:21
I didn't know the remote could be calibrated, how do you do this. Didn't see anything in the manua ...

Just go to remote control icon ( to the right of status indicator) on Go App then go to RC Calibration.
2015-12-20
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jpflkeys Posted at 2015-12-20 15:32
Once I activate the go app where do I find it? I've been all over the screen & menus have not foun ...

It's under Advanced settings at bottom of page. Make sure drone is powered up (or option might not appear)
2015-12-20
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

nigelwilkins Posted at 2015-12-20 18:02
Check the height readout on the app when it's landed.  If it thinks it's still in the air it will co ...

Interesting thought. That might explain it. Guess there's no way around that issue. I'm not use to the workings of this bird just yet. Thx...
2015-12-20
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 2015-12-20 18:10
Just go to remote control icon ( to the right of status indicator) on Go App then go to RC Calibra ...

Thanks for the help.....I will give it a try.
2015-12-20
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 2015-12-20 18:20
It's under Advanced settings at bottom of page. Make sure drone is powered up (or option might not ...

Thanks for the help....will give that a try.
2015-12-20
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

They can b ...

Good point ....thanks
2015-12-20
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

nigel is dead on. Hover 1foot AGL and the motors are trying to maintain position.
It didn't know it was on the ground.
I too always pull the stick full down upon touchdown.
2015-12-20
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

Now I'm confused, everybody says red is normal, however after reading the manual more carefully I noticed on page 12 (Aircraft Status Indicator Description)  under 'Warning' Solid Red means Critical Error. I guess that means all Red & not just the front LED's.
2015-12-21
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

jpflkeys Posted at 2015-12-21 21:57
Now I'm confused, everybody says red is normal, however after reading the manual more carefully I  ...

Hi , Please take a look at the picture , the indicators are rear LEDs and front LEDs are solid red when the aircraft is on :
Indicator.jpg
2015-12-21
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2015-12-21 21:10
Hi , Please take a look at the picture , the indicators are rear LEDs and front LEDs are solid red  ...

Thanks for clearing this up, lots of good help on the forum, thx again.
2015-12-23
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

jpflkeys Posted at 2015-12-23 19:00
Thanks for clearing this up, lots of good help on the forum, thx again.

Glad to hear that ! Merry Christmas !
2015-12-23
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

1.  You are confused.
Compass calibration is not at all related to GPS satellites.
GPS and compass are two separate systems.
2.  Never leave your Phantom idling after landing.
Barometer drift can cause the Phantom to think it is still in the flying and attempt to correct or even RTH.
When you land - shut down.
2015-12-24
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-12-24 08:03
1.  You are confused.
Compass calibration is not at all related to GPS satellites.
GPS and compass a ...

Thanks for the heads up....all the videos & articles I've read never mentioned this. My first quad was a Blade Chroma & when it was on the ground it was in idle speed for as long as you let it sit there. I took this as the norm for all quads....thx again
2015-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules