Phantom 2 Vision sudenly speed up and sec later crash.
2375 20 2014-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mouzi
New

United Kingdom

I was a happy user of the Phantom 2 VISION for over a one year now I could cold my self experience pilot. After what happened today I am just devastated. I was filming my family walking the dog on a frosty day 0 C I went up to 63 meters distance 180m when drone just start to speed up into direction that was going and after few sec I could hear it crashing in to something (threes probably). I spend 3 hours looking for it and nothing, I used the app to find the phantom not there.

Phantom and the receiver was up to date with all the latest drivers, compass calibration done on that day weather good sunny no wind, battery fully charged at the start of flight, satellites good.   

I didn't do nothing wrong, who should I contact about this. What can I do with this or this is it bye bye phantom?
2014-12-28
Use props
markosb1
lvl.2

United States

This is the kind of behavior that made me return the Phantom 2 Vision+.  Someone will say user error, due to the cold weather.

You won't get any sympathy from DJI without the drone.   I on the other hand  hope you can find it, I couldn't imaging losing something like that.
2014-12-28
Use props
mouzi
New

United Kingdom

Just back from another 1 h search my good lady found it. Cant believe how close I was last time.
2014-12-28
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

How much damage did you sustain?
2014-12-28
Use props
birdfolk
lvl.3

United States

My Phantom 2 V is a month old. I've only had one incident where it seemed to go crazy*, but I was 75'  above a small power line at the time and I may have been too close (20') to a large piece of steel (a sand and gravel sifter) when I calibrated the compass----so I'm blaming myself until further notice.

*go crazy--- it wobbled severely, started to drop fast, hovered, wobbled again, and then shot downwards at a steep angle.  I was able to soften the landing by shutting off the remote about three seconds before impact into soft sand.  MC was in Phantom mode.
2014-12-28
Use props
mouzi
New

United Kingdom

There's the photos of damage.
Capture.JPG
Capture 1.JPG
2014-12-28
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

mouzi@btinterne Posted at 2014-12-29 00:45

Ouch,  you can buy a new shell to repair that broken wing and transfer the insides to the new shell.  Ebay has them.
2014-12-28
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Nasty.

Your obviously going to need a new complete body shell at the least.

Are they standard props ? or aftermarket - just going with the red stripes.

This might sound daft but do you think all these problems are cause by water ingress.  Really fine water droplets in the air getting blown in the electronics ?

Looks like a Vision Mk1 ?
2014-12-28
Use props
birdfolk
lvl.3

United States

I am hoping a flimsy prop-guard will take the break, in the event of a severe crash---avoiding exactly what I see pictured above
2014-12-28
Use props
mouzi
New

United Kingdom

umpa Posted at 2014-12-29 00:51
Nasty.

Your obviously going to need a new complete body shell at the least.

Today weather was absolutely fantastic. -3C this morning when I wake up so all the moisture is sitting on the ground. when flying temp was about +2C, phantom is stored in the water proof case. Never hade any problems with it but reading peoples posts looks like the latest updated are making tis drones go crazy.  
2014-12-28
Use props
markosb1
lvl.2

United States

mouzi@btinterne Posted at 2014-12-29 00:45

You were pretty lucky.  Where was it from where you took off from?  Were you shooting video?  If so, can we have a look.
2014-12-28
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

I can't add anything here other than to observe that there are several similar reports here that happened with experienced flyers but in low temperatures. My specialities don't include electrics- any experts with any understanding of low temperature effects on circuitry?
2014-12-28
Use props
mouzi
New

United Kingdom

A we map of what and where happened - remember I was above tree line 63 meters maintaining visual contact.  
Capture3.JPG
2014-12-28
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

So the pin represents where the find my phantom said it should be ?
2014-12-28
Use props
mouzi
New

United Kingdom

umpa Posted at 2014-12-29 06:40
So the pin represents where the find my phantom said it should be ?

Yes that's correct, some how Phantom managed to fine solid hard ground in the middle of the forest to crash on.
2014-12-28
Use props
eastwell1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Had similar problem myself read my thread lost at sea mine is total loss but dji are corresponding with me at this moment hopefully we will find out what is causing all these flyaways everthing was fine all correct proceedures, compass, leds, sats ect took off and she just went up full throttle and veered to the right ended up 2 or 3 hundred metres away in the sea  
2014-12-29
Use props
mouzi
New

United Kingdom

eastwell1@tisca Posted at 2014-12-29 17:20
Had similar problem myself read my thread lost at sea mine is total loss but dji are corresponding w ...

Well I at least found it well my wife did, got email from dji support  asking to fill out form and send the remains back will se how it will go.
2014-12-29
Use props
estanciad1
New

Paraguay

hello friends .. maybe you can help me ,, I have a problem with my phantom vision 2..
when I turn the phantom ON,, a corner makes a click like something is stuck and will not turn ON,, ever body had a similar problema ??
2014-12-29
Use props
jeepinocala
lvl.3

United States

mouzi@btinterne Posted at 2014-12-29 05:47
A we map of what and where happened - remember I was above tree line 63 meters maintaining visual co ...

What is that round structure that you started out next to?
2014-12-29
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Back to the original post.....

A year is almost forever in the life of a quadcopter! Very few people have had one and flown it for that length of time! There are a lot of things which can happen to the insides of a quadcopter over that length of time.

There are many reports here of constant compass calibrations...why? I've calibrated mine about 3 or 4 times in a year, and it only needed it once (threw off an error). There is no reason to constantly calibrate it.

It's impossible to say what happened since the possibilities are endless. However, at the minimum you should take your Phantom completely apart every 6 months (or X hours of flight time) and inspect each and every component for signs of heat, bare wires, etc.

The only guess I could make is that you had a GPS/Compass related failure.  BUT, this can be caused by many things - inside the Phantom or out.

Do you have yours set in NAZA (IOC) mode or is it in "Phantom" mode?
I don't think it was the cold that did it......but it could have made something which was already a problem (wiring, etc.) worse. That's not really very cold and I assume you had the unit inside or in a car prior to flight...

I've flown in weather down to 20-25 F regularly here.....with full snow cover.
2014-12-29
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

If by compass calibration you mean the 'Calibration Dance' I do it each and every time I fly.  I do it because it takes less than 30 seconds to do, and makes me feel better that I know its been done. Also youtube (and thats where most of the learning is done) is always saying to do it.

If you mean something else please explain.
2014-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules