Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone and Skier...
1126 9 2015-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
K3ITH
lvl.1

United Kingdom

This is not good for us...

2015-12-23
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Would have been even worse if that thing had hit him!

My thoughts ...
This seems to be a professional rig (my guess).
Some one messed up ... make sure that this person gets his fingers slapped ... not the drone business!

2015-12-23
Use props
MJones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74783 ft
United States

Could have been a tragedy.  The  "fault" may not be a person at all.  These are electronic systems, with multiple points of potential failure.  DJI has thoughtfully tried to mitigate some of the risks but there is ALWAYS  potential for electronic component failure.  We should never loose sight of this reality.  As others may have noted in the past, it is about managing risk, continuing the development of system redundancy, and quality control in manufacturing and maintenance.  
2015-12-23
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

MJones Posted at 2015-12-23 19:02
Could have been a tragedy.  The  "fault" may not be a person at all.  These are electronic systems,  ...

The pilot is responsible to do a risk assessment ... !?

As you say ... there is always a risk of component failure ... and there are a lot of bystanders at this event ... at least they should have used a parachute.

Also ... This event could easily have been captured with "safer" camera equipment ... !

I am just assuming that this was a professional rig used by the production team ... I might be mistaking ...
2015-12-23
Use props
JasonA
lvl.1

United States

yeah its all over the news now.  A professional broadcasting company was running it.  

Notice the size of those props?  very big, Im guessing this is a quad platform carrying a dslr (notice the camera assembly flying off to the right, compare that size to the skiers head).  

If I had to guess, my thinking is that they ran out of battery power trying to get 'one more shot' and it dived.  We all know how limited the battery life is on these things when airborne, now imagine trying to cover an event thats hours long... makes me wonder if they had enough spare batteries on hand...

Still all this aside, why did they feel the need to have a 'straight-down' shot?  not very interesting to watch for a skiing even imo, and as we can clearly see.... VERY risky.  Im sure the FAA will be using this 'promo' for thier defense of heavy drone restrictions.... whats worse is, these were "professionals"
2015-12-23
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

Not good. This is strong video evidence (right or wrong) that will push the public to not allow these rigs in the sky at all. All it takes is one group (one person really) to take this issue on and we're done.
2015-12-23
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

Shame what could have been a great industry is now turning into a sh$& show in the sky ¡
2015-12-23
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

That could have been a terrible situation.

I wonder what really happened. These are mechanical units. Any failure can happen, its not always just the pilots fault.
2015-12-23
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

That thing was really big, considering it was just a quad.   6 motors should be minimum for something that big..... 8 would be better.
2015-12-23
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

JasonA Posted at 2015-12-23 13:16
yeah its all over the news now.  A professional broadcasting company was running it.  

Notice the s ...

whats worse is, these were "professionals".
No human endeavor is safe from stupidity. Every one of those airshow pilots who turned themselves into pink mist were "professionals." Flying directly over the skiers' heads was pure stupidity. That is exactly why the FAA tells you not to fly over people. Technology cannot be made stupid proof.
2015-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules