1645 22 2015-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lombardomal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2289551 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ok, Just updated my P3p and my 4 batteries this morning.
I live in Las Vegas. 54 degrees F. No wind at all.

The vertical ascending speed is noticeably slower now. horizontal speed, I reached 36 MPH, but the
acceleration was noticeably slower. I used to love how fast this quad could accelerate upward. Now
it is very slow.

Very disappointing update. Feels like i am in Beginner mode or the Emergency brake was left on. LOL
COME ON DJI. Bad move telling us it only affects speed in cold conditions.

First time I really didnt enjoy flying my Phantom

Has anyone successfully switched back to the previous firmware and how did you do it.???

Thanks

2015-12-23
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would like to see evidence of this change.
2015-12-23
Use props
lb11778
lvl.2
Flight distance : 368842 ft
United States

Mine didn't seem to have changed its acceleration after the upgrade.
2015-12-23
Use props
perseas
lvl.3

Greece

Inspire owners reported issues with windy conditions and the new firmware on another forum.

Someone posted about his Inspire: "I would caution flying the new FW (1.6.0.40) in strong wind conditions. I was struggling to control mine today in 9-10m/s winds and almost experienced a flyaway. Despite turning into wind and applying full right stick forward I was not able to counter the wind drift in P-GPS mode. I had to reduce height and switch to ATTI to regain control. PS. Air temp was 9C."

I will wait for more feedback, before I install it. A weaker P3P is not in my wish list.
2015-12-23
Use props
amadeus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 202287 ft
Italy

lb11778 Posted at 2015-12-23 20:02
Mine didn't seem to have changed its acceleration after the upgrade.

With this new firmware, bird performance depends on the charge/temperature of the battery so.... may be that in your test enviroment/conditions, nothing has changed!

Anyway, my opinion is that this approach regarding the power management can lead to very critical situations.
This can happen especially in the case in which the reduction in performance of the bird (due to this new algorithm) is not clearly shown on the display!

On my side, as suggested in another thread, I would have adopted a strategy much more simple and clear!
If the charge and temperature of the battery are not suitable for a safe fly, the take-off is inhibited (with a clear indication of this status on the display!)

Simple solutions always work, complex approaches usually lead to unpredictable further problems and... one of these may be the above reported loss of bird stability in windy conditions although, in similar conditions, I can not exclude issues regarding the completion of the procedure for returning home too!

2015-12-23
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

amadeus Posted at 2015-12-24 02:35
With this new firmware, bird performance depends on the charge/temperature of the battery so.... m ...

Only time will tell on this.
2015-12-23
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

I update the firmware and the speed is the same may be your quad was cold wile you were flying
2015-12-23
Use props
CONTROL FREQ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3762346 ft
United States

why would they want to slow down the quad because of colder temperatures?
2015-12-23
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

CONTROL FREQ Posted at 2015-12-24 14:52

Cold batteries do not deliver as much current as the same battery does when it is warm. A slower acceleration would lower the current being drawn and hopefully prevent the battery dropping to critical voltage. That's a possible theory.
2015-12-23
Use props
scottdrmyers
lvl.2

Canada

CONTROL FREQ Posted at 2015-12-23 22:52

Prevents the battery draw from being so much. In cold conditions the more power draw you have the more chance of the battery just giving up or not being able to supply the power and bam, falls out of the sky.
2015-12-23
Use props
IMI193
lvl.3

United States

amadeus Posted at 2015-12-23 20:35
With this new firmware, bird performance depends on the charge/temperature of the battery so.... m ...

"If the charge and temperature of the battery are not suitable for a safe fly, the take-off is inhibited"

I would assume the true state of the battery is not known to the flight control system until it's under the load of actual flight.
2015-12-23
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

Have you tried an IMU calibration ? Please try an RC calibration and check the "Gain&Expo Tuning" in the App . If it's not getting better , please post a video of that . Thank you !
2015-12-23
Use props
amadeus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 202287 ft
Italy

IMI193 Posted at 2015-12-24 05:58
"If the charge and temperature of the battery are not suitable for a safe fly, the take-off is inh ...

"I would assume the true state of the battery is not known to the flight control system until it's under the load of actual flight"

I agree, but I remind you that before this firmware version it seems that nothing had been done regarding the issue of unexpected abnormal battery triggering due to its charge/temperature. So, a first simple approach based on the cautionary inhibition of the take-off when the couple battery charge/temperature is not suitable for a safe fly, this would still be a reasonable step forward.

In any case, welcome any smart improvement! I just hope that everything has been done in the best way and not produce more unexpected drawbacks...
As example, regarding the choice to limit the performanche of the bird when the battery is too cold, I'd like this status was clearly indicated/stated on the display!

2015-12-24
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

We can look at the battery temperature in the app menu. The temperature is best at 20 C . If not , just wait until the battery warm up before flying. You can also hoover at 3 feet or let the motor running on the ground and wait for the 20 C.
And before I start my Phantom 3 , my batteries are in warm temperature if it is cold outside.
That is what I do and I never have problems.
2015-12-24
Use props
hummingbird.uav
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

GQ. Posted at 2015-12-24 06:20
We can look at the battery temperature in the app menu. The temperature is best at 20 C . If not , j ...

The battery temp is critical to proper performance.  It would be nice if the app had a temperature thermometer under the battery info in the upper right corner of the app.
2015-12-24
Use props
hummingbird.uav
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

GQ. Posted at 2015-12-24 06:20
We can look at the battery temperature in the app menu. The temperature is best at 20 C . If not , j ...

The battery temp is critical to proper performance.  It would be nice if the app had a temperature thermometer under the battery info in the upper right corner of the app.
2015-12-24
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

hummingbird.uav Posted at 2015-12-24 12:45
The battery temp is critical to proper performance.  It would be nice if the app had a temperature ...

You only have to touch the battery button on the top right corner of the screen and you will see it.
2015-12-24
Use props
EricJackson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2153967 ft
United States

what if there was no update to the battery and that was just what they said , but in reality the update installed some tracking software. like an update or two ago when all of a sudden altitude was limited. I never saw that in the update release notes.
2015-12-26
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

EricJackson Posted at 2015-12-26 19:13
what if there was no update to the battery and that was just what they said , but in reality the upd ...

"like an update or two ago when all of a sudden altitude was limited. I never saw that in the update release notes."

Your altitude was suddenly limited??
That never happened.
The P3's altitude range is the same as it was when it was first released.
2015-12-26
Use props
EricJackson
lvl.2
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-12-26 04:19
"like an update or two ago when all of a sudden altitude was limited. I never saw that in the upda ...

No they put a 500 meter cap on it. Before that I could set the max altitude above 500m.
2015-12-27
Use props
EricJackson
lvl.2
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-12-26 04:19
"like an update or two ago when all of a sudden altitude was limited. I never saw that in the upda ...

I could set the altitude limit above 500m
2015-12-27
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

EricJackson Posted at 2015-12-27 19:50
I could set the altitude limit above 500m

Not with the DJI GO app.
It has ALWAYS had a 500 metre altitude limit ever since the Phantom 3 was released.
2015-12-27
Use props
nicwilson
lvl.2

Australia

AS part of my extensive testing I over the last couple of days,  this is one test I neglected.  I will do this test tomorrow if the weather holds up here and report back.  Temperature here is around  28C so I would expect normal speeds.

nw
2015-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules