Watched too many instructional videos :(
1151 10 2015-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
boatname
New

United Kingdom

Hi everyone. Newbie here. My 3 Standard is arriving tomorrow for Xmas day and so I’ve been looking at some really great instructional YouTube videos to get a head start.

Could you please clear a bit of confusion for me?

I am sure that I saw a video that said the controller didn’t use my phones wifi/gps … it praised the fact that there was just a very short lead connecting them and some smart technology “talked to Glosnas — Russian satellites????” improving accuracy. But then I saw one that said it did.

I guess I’ll get an answer when I open the box but I’m confused as to why I think I have seen two different reports.

More import is compass calibration … that’s got me really baffled.

1.Do they mean compass or gps?

2.What do they mean by “if you change location?”

Of course I understand that if you set it up at home then travel say 100 miles, like any gps device it needs to relocate the satellites but what if you’ve only moved 5 miles? Or 2 … or 1?

Do you have to rotate it 360 degrees every time you move … er, how far?

Many thanks in advance.

2015-12-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congrats of you new P3 Standard,
When they say compass calibration, it's calibrating the compass in the Phantom. When you do that, make sure no metal is around, take your phone and keys out of your pocket. Have the R/C and your phone/tablet on the ground away from you and the Phantom when doing the calibration.
BUT before that, you need to do an IMU calibration and preferably a COLD one, then do a gimbal calibration as well.
And when they say calibrate after you change location, that's saying if you go to a new place, Myself, I only calibrate if I am travelling more than a few hours away. I have a great compass calibration at home where I know 100% there's no metal around. If I go to 5 different locations  not far away and calibrate each time, there may be a chance that one of those locations may have metal pipes or something underground that can mess with the compass calibration.
Follow the instructions on page 41 of the manual and it explains exactly how to do the compass calibration.
Have fun.
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3-standard/info#downloads
2015-12-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Welcome to the forum.
Please RTFM, they are readily available here in PDF format.
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3-standard/info#downloads
Calibration of the compass does one thing, identify N.  North.
This is done, by holding the drone vertical, and turning  it in a 360* circle,
Next point the front of the craft down, towards the ground, and do the 360* spin again.
You will see the rear LED diodes turn back to green from yellow when done correctly.
You only have to do a compass calibration one time correctly, unless you move 100 miles or more, to a different location to fly.
Anything in-between, and you are still correctly calibrated, & good to "Go" flying. ;-)
The GPS uniit in your Phantom 3 drone, connects to North American and the Russian satellites.
When Home Point has been established, it means that it has locked on to 10 or more Satalites signals,
and knows where to fly back to, if any troubles occur, between it and the radio controller.

Hope you are enjoying reading them manuals, and reading them again. Like studying for an important final exam. Hehe
Make the Phantom 3 your major...

RedHotPoker
2015-12-23
Use props
boatname
New

United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-12-23 22:12
Welcome to the forum.
http://www.dji.com ...

Thanks Guys, obviously not seen the manual yet but have just downloaded the PDF VERSION.

I AM VERY AFRAID
2015-12-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Plenty to absorb and understand. But the more you understand about the operation of your drone, before it arrives, all the better it will be for your learning curve, once you start to fly.
It's not that difficult to take off and hover around a bit, but go slow and easy, until you get a good feel for it. Find an open clear area, and take off... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-12-23
Use props
jeffersonsteve
New

United Kingdom

I'm really surprised that no-one bothers with a really long piece of string.

What could possibly go wrong?
2015-12-24
Use props
RickAZ
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-12-23 15:12
Welcome to the forum.

sorry duplicate post.
2015-12-24
Use props
RickAZ
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-12-23 15:12
Welcome to the forum.

I believe the P3 Standard GPS only uses North American satellites and not the Russian.
2015-12-24
Use props
rudi.p.lombard
New

South Africa

boatname Posted at 2015-12-24 03:29
Thanks Guys, obviously not seen the manual yet but have just downloaded the PDF VERSION.

I AM VE ...

Hey there. I collected my 3 std today and did all the tech required step by step, started up for 2 min and then geared for a solid flight. 10 min no issues in beginner mode, but when I saw my face it looked like I was a politician trying to tell the truth! Stress! But serious, zero experience, zero RC time, none and yet my footage looks awesome, flight was smooth. This thing is brilliant! Just be careful of face to face flight as it can confuse in the beginning, left going right and the other way round. Just small soft movements on the sticks, don't react-o-panic!

Thanks dji... Opening up a whole new world and viewpoint and challenge.

Rudi South Africa
2015-12-24
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

Why does it have to be stated "RTFM"?  Do we really need the 'F' in there?  Just sounds  hostile.  Besides, you want the person to read the Phantom manual and not Kama Sutra right?
2015-12-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Whether you Need assistance in the bedroom or boardroom, there is a specific manual to help guide you.
In our circumstance, RTFM = Read The "Flight" Manual. Nothing derogatory or slang in that, right? ;-)
Yeah, I figured you'd agree with my better sense of judgement. Ha
So, shut the Front Door... Eh

RedHotPoker
2015-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules