DJI Updates 1.5 and 1.6
1457 20 2015-12-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

I was just about to update 1.5 then noticed there is a 1.6 that just came out on the 22nd, which was yesterday. Has anyone updated to 1.6 without issues or issues? Also, I'm curious why the fast 1.5 to 1.6 upate within a short period of time from DJI?
2015-12-23
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

In cold environments, propulsion output is automatically adjusted based on battery temperature and cell voltage. Horizontal and vertical speed is also decreased to avoid triggering battery protection.
2015-12-23
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Thank you! Have you updated to 1.6 and any known issues?
2015-12-23
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Tim, please feed back to your engineering team that this is a fairly silly idea.
Placing performance limits based upon low temperature conditions will surely put some people into the trees/hills as they chase that wonderful winter shot but end up unable to make it back in one flight.

Once the Inspire has been flying for a minute or two, the battery will have heated up to a good operating temperature anyway - no need to impose potentially hazardous limits.
Maybe place a limit for the first few minutes of flight based on the battery temperature you can read in real time?

This is silly and dangerous.

2015-12-23
Use props
Hterag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961978 ft
United Kingdom

How does the drone know if it's cold? Is there a thermometer built in? Does the app try to get the local weather report? Or is it just based on, "It's December, it must be cold."?

It's 25 degrees C where I am today...
2015-12-23
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

I updated both my Inspire then my OSMO unit (in that order) all to the latest firmware with no problems.
I DID have to uninstall and Re-install my DJI GO app though.
2015-12-23
Use props
Timsters
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1762359 ft
United States

lol please stop messing with what WAS a well working inspire............ as i have said many many times im still flying on the old .06 FW pilot app 1.1.2 NEVER have had any trouble and i live in Alaska!! just keep your batteries warm, dji you guys have turned the inspire into somthing that resembles a HP bloatware laptop or computer so much stuff 90% of people in the know DONT WANT so sad..... now saying all that Im very happy with my 3 inspires but they are all on very old firmware, start making batteries that are a little higher C rated say 20-30-40c rated AND LEAVE THE F.W. ALLONE GEZZZZ
2015-12-23
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

Timsters Posted at 2015-12-24 02:01
lol please stop messing with what WAS a well working inspire............ as i have said many many ti ...

I agree, I like the old firmware, but I did not have a choice because I wanted my Inspire 1 X3 to work with my OSMO handle.
2015-12-23
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Hterag Posted at 2015-12-24 17:46
How does the drone know if it's cold? Is there a thermometer built in? Does the app try to get the l ...

The Inspire monitors/telemeters the battery temperature via a sensor in the pack.
Have you not looked at the battery status page in the flight app?
2015-12-23
Use props
Hterag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961978 ft
China

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-12-24 15:28
The Inspire monitors/telemeters the battery temperature via a sensor in the pack.
Have you not loo ...

No, I get that, but the battery is very rarely at the same temperature as ambient and since the battery quickly warms up with use, if it's just the battery then I don't really understand this change. Does it mean you get reduced performance for the first 2 minutes?

It said: "In cold environments, propulsion output is automatically adjusted based on battery temperature and cell voltage. Horizontal and vertical speed is also decreased to avoid triggering battery protection."

To me, it implied that you get reduced performance for the whole flight because it says, "cold environments" not, "when the battery is cold" and that's what I was concerned about. If it took the reading from another sensor, fine. If it took it from a local weather report (which is often wrong here) then that's ok, if annoying that I might need an Internet connection to update it... If it took it from the time of year then that'd be ridiculous because there are days like today where it's 25 degrees C.

2015-12-24
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Yes but this latest firmware update v1.6 is for the Inspire Pro as far as I understand.
2015-12-24
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-12-24 03:04
Yes but this latest firmware update v1.6 is for the Inspire Pro as far as I understand.

http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1/info#downloads     It's for the V1.  I was going to suggest it for you to maybe fix your update problems.... but I see that you got yours back and it's updated.
2015-12-24
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

Timsters Posted at 2015-12-24 08:01
lol please stop messing with what WAS a well working inspire............ as i have said many many ti ...

They cannot such batteries would significantly reduce flight time because the Inspires flight time is extremely weight sensitive.
2015-12-24
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Starship Posted at 2015-12-24 14:33
http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1/info#downloads     It's for the V1.  I was going to suggest it ...

Starship,
I have the Aircraft back but not done a flight test as yet, the weather in the UK is not good at the minute.

If this v1.6 can also be used on the original Inspire 1, it would seem wise to update to v1.6, but I was of the opinion it was only for the Inspire Pro versions.  Perhaos DJI moderator could confirm.

The other issue I have is that even the dealer could not understand what was wrong, even though they have updated it.  All very strange if you ask me.

DJI,
Is it possible we could have a master file that would wipe everything on the aircraft in terms of firmware in order to rectify any firmware update issues in the future.  Seems crazy having to go back to a dealer when an update doesn't work.
Still not convinced that all my batteries have been updated like in the past, but DJI Patrick confirmed my logs indicate there is no problem.  
2015-12-24
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-12-24 11:05
Starship,
I have the Aircraft back but not done a flight test as yet, the weather in the UK is not  ...

The link I provided was for the Original Inspire, not the Pro.  I know it is starting to get confusing.  I had to look a couple of times myself.

According to what I read, the latest firmware is mainly for cold weather flying and the way the Inspire monitors the battery.

If DJI reads this, I think they should put X3 or X5 as the first two characters of the firmware file name, so there's no mistakes.
2015-12-24
Use props
jamescole
lvl.2

Mexico

So can anyone clear this up?

Is the power reduced only when the battery is cold or all the time independently of battery temp or outside temp?

2015-12-24
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-12-24 09:04

No - Its for ALL Inspire models
2015-12-24
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Wait.. Let me understand this. 1.6 is for the PRO and not the inspire 1 (non pro) ? It doesn't even state this on the download page. Strange? I haven't even updated 1.5 and hesitant until I find out about 1.6. Who knows 100% certain?
2015-12-24
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sir Shepherd Posted at 2015-12-25 03:11
Wait.. Let me understand this. 1.6 is for the PRO and not the inspire 1 (non pro) ? It doesn't even  ...

Yes this is getting confusing.

If for all  models it looks like I will now have to do yet another update before I have even flight tested the last v1.5 update.  Sounds like there has been some other hidden issues updated here, given it is so soon after the last v1.5.

Could we have a DJI moderator confirm if this v1.6 is for the Original Inspire 1 with X3 or is it for all models.
2015-12-25
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

@GB44 I agree and hope a mod could help us out here with some good advice.
2015-12-25
Use props
Bizznitty
New

United States

Just did the update today and it has given pure doom . I did the update today with the app and everything went well . Then it said need to update camera and batteries . Put Sd card into camera and when it came on it started with the update beeps. Then it went to a loud piecing beep saying check 8 pin motherboard connection . Before the update I could see picture from camera and it was fine . During update it made a loud noice and won't go back into travel mode . Please help need to use drone ASAP . Pissed I did update , checked everything and connectors plugs etc in secure.
2015-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules