Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is this slant bad?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lance.okonowski
lvl.1
Flight distance : 114094 ft
United States

Hi everyone, and Merry Christmas!

I got the ol' phantom 3p out flying again (recently moved into an apartment, so haven't been able to fly in a while ). After updating the bird, battery, app, and controller (which actually told me it was up to date in the .txt, but it acutally isnt....different story different day) I was able to take some night time pics.

With the update the slant seems to be worse than usual, and really noticable with the attached picture...does this seem really bad to anyone? or does it seem normal? Info on the picture, I'm south of Cleveland(OH) and this is pointing north towards Lake Erie (You can see some of the skyline a quarter way from the right...)

Let me know your thoughts!!
Edit.jpg
2015-12-25
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

Oh my gosh is that slant just horrible!  Just kidding...were you hovering when the pic was taken?  Any wind that could effect your attitude?   This shot would be very easy to straighten, but it is a bit slanted.  As a full shot, yes, it is slanted.  Is it bad?  As a photographer first, I would normally say no, I could straighten that no problem and still retain the integrity of the scene you shot.  However, as  quad pilot and aerial photographer with a system that is supposed to correct for this, I would say do an IMU cal, then a Gimbal cal and see if this helps.  Is the slant visibly the same in video and stills?
2015-12-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should do a IMU calibration after updating firmware and make sure the Phantom is on a perfectly level surface. Also do a compass calibration, gimbal calibration. If it isn't straight then straighten it with the gimbal roll.
2015-12-25
Use props
lance.okonowski
lvl.1
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-12-25 21:00
Oh my gosh is that slant just horrible!  Just kidding...were you hovering when the pic was taken?  A ...

Your response is perfect and I thank you for it. And thanks for not making me feel dumb

I was hovering at about 350'. I looked up the aviation winds at the nearest airport and it was < 10 knots. To be honest, at first I thought it was just the horizon slanting ( I do live in a partial hilly area), but then determined that looking north it should be level (you know...water level can only go so far).

It is frustrating the unit doesn't have an auto leveler or something (not technical with the terms there....) . Granted, I am a software engineer so I should be able to figure it out . I've looked at other pictures I've taken in the same direction during the day, and they all seem to slant. The only time it's really noticeable are horizon shots...other plain old shots look fine.

Again, your response was very, very informative. I know I rambled so long story short I'll do the calibration and report asap. Thanks again!!
2015-12-26
Use props
lance.okonowski
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-25 21:10
You should do a IMU calibration after updating firmware and make sure the Phantom is on a perfectly  ...

Thanks, Ken. As a form of verification, is there a way to determine that the camera is straight and level that you would recommend? Hopefully that makes sense...your feedback and help is much appreciated!!
2015-12-26
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

lance.okonowski Posted at 2015-12-26 10:09
Thanks, Ken. As a form of verification, is there a way to determine that the camera is straight an ...

I don't know what Ken would say, but I did a complete rebuild on a P2+V3 a year or so ago.  To check my levels, I used a level table (all directions) and placed 2 steel bubble levels on the surface at right angles to form a 'corner.'  I then fired up the quad and related devices and placed the quad on the same level surface facing the bubble level.  I then used a cheap laser level to shoot the top of the camera body in relation to the bubble levels.  When I thought it was right, took a screen shot and checked the level of the camera in Photoshop using the ruler.  I was able to correct for hundredths of an inch this way.  All I can say is the camera on the P2 is spot on.
2015-12-26
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

nrgwise Posted at 2015-12-26 19:14
I don't know what Ken would say, but I did a complete rebuild on a P2+V3 a year or so ago.  To che ...

Hi Chris,
l remember your rebuild! l was fairly new to the P2 side and watched (and hopefully helped support) all the way from your initial "loss" to the reconstruction.

As to this P3 gimbal tilt - mine was perfectly straight when l got it. lt's now "old" at 8 months old and occasionally doesn't quite correct itself coming out of a bank. All l do is shake it, literally. l go left to right on right stick mode 2, and it corrects itself. Not the most refined correction admittedly, but when you're in the air, it's a quick fix.

Andrea.
2015-12-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can do a IMU calibration, then compass & gimbal calibration. And turn on the gridin the photo settings and hover and line up the lines with a flat roof or something.
2015-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules