Flying in State and National parks
1927 19 2015-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 242247 ft
United States

Been looking for regulations on flying UAV's in state and national parks in the USA, such as the Grand Canyon. Not really finding the answers online. Anyone have more info on this?

2015-12-27
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

National parks are no fly zones.  Too many idiots causing trouble, like chasing Bison, and of course the guy who crashed his quad into Old Faithful.   State parks are hit and miss.  You need to ask.  Either ask via email. or in person..
2015-12-27
Use props
chris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 242247 ft
United States

Thanks, thought I would ask here before sending out email's or phone calls.
2015-12-27
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

chris@corp-medi Posted at 2015-12-27 15:14
Thanks, thought I would ask here before sending out email's or phone calls.

Some state and county parks host RC clubs.  So they would be the ones most likely to allow UAS flights.  You might be confined to the RC area however.
2015-12-27
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Yeah, unfortunately some of the best places in the country to take AP are off limits.

Dave
2015-12-27
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-12-27 16:53
Yeah, unfortunately some of the best places in the country to take AP are off limits.

And it doesn't help when there are people with no regard for the law.  I was at Mt Rushmore last summer, and watched a guy setting up a Spreading Wing S1000 in the parking lot........ right under a sign that said no UAV's with a drawing of a Phantom with a circle and line through it.  A park ranger came over, and told him he couldn't fly, and the guy actually started arguing.

I didn't say anything to the guy, because I was hoping he had some kind of special permission, and I wanted to see that Spreading Wing fly. That thing was cool

Get used to seeing this sign

2015-12-27
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Starship Posted at 2015-12-27 15:23
And it doesn't help when there are people with no regard for the law.  I was at Mt Rushmore last su ...

Yeah, unfortunately you are right, I don't like that sign.

Dave
2015-12-27
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-n ... lties-fines-n486206
2015-12-27
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

I think they should ban Harley Davidson motorcycles at National Parks. They disturb the peace a lot more than a Phantom.
2015-12-27
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-12-27 17:53
I think they should ban Harley Davidson motorcycles at National Parks. They disturb the peace a lot  ...

Hey now.... let's not be rash :@
P7280166.JPG
2015-12-27
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Starship Posted at 2015-12-27 15:56
Hey now.... let's not be rash

LOL.   I say that because one time I was at Yosemite and a gang of about 50 (I would guess) rolled up on the view point I was at. It sucked. You know how loud they can be, even if it is just one or two.

It is just a good way to point out the double standard.

I used to ride many years ago.

Dave
2015-12-27
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-12-27 18:04
LOL.   I say that because one time I was at Yosemite and a gang of about 50 (I would guess) roll ...

Well, you know how to deal with a group that size, don't you?

Pick the biggest, and toughest one in the bunch.  Walk right up to him, and tell him his bike is too loud, and punch him square in the face.

It won't make them leave..... but at least you won't hear their bikes any more
2015-12-27
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Starship Posted at 2015-12-27 16:10
Well, you know how to deal with a group that size, don't you?

Pick the biggest, and toughest one  ...

LOL!!! Not just typing LOL you really did make me laugh out loud. That is a good one!!!
2015-12-27
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-12-27 18:20
LOL!!! Not just typing LOL you really did make me laugh out loud. That is a good one!!!

Mission accomplished
2015-12-27
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United Arab Emirates

Flight over National Parks:

The attached excerpt at the bottom of this post comes from an FAA VFR Sectional chart.

The first paragraph states that "The landing of aircraft is prohibited on lands or waters administered by the National Park Service.....) and other agencies without authorization.
The second paragraph is a request to fly at a minimum altitude of 2000 feet over specific (noise sensitive) areas such as National Parks, etc.  

The below is a link to a June 20, 2014 National Park Service News Release entitled "Unmanned Aircraft to be Prohibited in America’s National Parks"
http://home.nps.gov/applications/release/print.cfm?id=1601
The cliff notes on it:
"...direct
superintendents nationwide to prohibit launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service."

Based on the above, I would not fly a UAS in a National Park. I would not want to be "that guy"like the one recently in Great Falls NP, Virginia.

On a related note, we as a community need to be focused on learning (and teaching) airspace rules to all new (and uneducated) UAS operators.  I do my best locally.  I highly recommend that everyone purchase an FAA Sectional chart for the area that they fly in to make sure they are operating safely.
Shipped free for $7.50 @  http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPi ... U_ckCFdgPgQod2OUD1w

Operators need to know if they are within 5 miles of any airport and also if they are operating within a Military Operations Area (MOA) or in the vicinity of Military Training Routes (MTR's).  Some of the vertical limits in MOA's start at ground level when active.  Some vertical limits on active MTR's (VR routes) start at 200' AGL (or lower)>

Have a couple of sites that give current info on Special Use Airspace (SUA) including MOA's and MTR's.

Special Use Airspace & Air Traffic Control Assigned Airspace
https://sua.faa.gov/sua/siteFrame.app

Use the "Graphic Map" tab on the top and modify with "Map Layers" on the right for your area.   Give it some time to load.  The "Text List" at the top can be used to further refine specific MOA's and MTR's for altitudes and times.  Lots of other info available-would suggest cross referencing with a VFR sectional chart or skyvector.com, vfrmap.com, etc for your area.

Another site for updated SUA/MOA/MTR info is:
See And Avoid
http://www.seeandavoid.org/
On the left side, check the Military Operations Area; Special Use Airspace and Low Level Training Route (MTR) boxes for current info.

Ask if you need specifics.  I'll be glad to help.

VFRSectNatPark.PNG
2015-12-27
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Yes I have seen that before. Some guys will say they can use that to take off and land just outside the National Park and fly into and over it.  I would't

But thanks for posting the good info 60.
2015-12-27
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-12-27 19:50
Yes I have seen that before. Some guys will say they can use that to take off and land just outside  ...

That would be where the sign comes into play.  Read the sign above.  It pretty much spells out that operation within the park is a no no.
2015-12-27
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have heard that someone was not aloud to fly at a park due to a town ordinance in place? (NJ somewhere)?

I don't even know if that's legal or true, but I would also familiarize with the local laws as well. (just in case)
2015-12-29
Use props
Ryan Gordon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2186250 ft
  • >>>
United States

Starship Posted at 2015-12-27 18:57
That would be where the sign comes into play.  Read the sign above.  It pretty much spells out that ...

If you are standing outside the park limits are you actually operating it within the park? I'd say no. Operation happens from the remote which wouldn't be in the park.
2015-12-31
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Ryan Gordon Posted at 2015-12-31 21:10
If you are standing outside the park limits are you actually operating it within the park? I'd say  ...

Give it a try and report back..........  
2016-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules