Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EranR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280515 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Hi,

Althogh the manual says you should store a battery at 50-65% if not using it for a long period, it does not say anything about storing for a few days.

Currently I can only fly me P3 during the weekends.

I usually start to land once the battery warning starts (at 30%), so I end a flight with about 20-30% battery

If it is the last flight for the weekend and I know I will only be flying again in about 5-6 days,
is it OK to store the batteries as they are, with about 20-30% charge or should I charge to 50% and store?

Are there any suggestions for this situation?

Thank you,

Eran
2015-12-28
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-28
Use props
EranR
lvl.4
  • >>>
Israel

Thanks for the reply.
I just wanted to know if leaving the battery at 20-30%, when I know it's just for a few days might be even better than charging to 50%, since the load on the battery's chemistry is even lower. I don't understand the chemistry, just wandering and trying to apply common sense.

In a few days there is no risk of reaching an under-voltage situation.

If leaving the battery as it is for a few days is better, this knowledge might help lots of people with the same usage profile... those who can't wait to fly but can do it only on weekends.

2015-12-28
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-28
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

EranR Posted at 2015-12-28 10:11
Thanks for the reply.
I just wanted to know if leaving the battery at 20-30%, when I know it's just  ...

The "storage value" (50 - 60%) is where it stores best. Perhaps coincidentally, that's half-way between zero and 100%.

I can pretty well guarantee you if your battery is stored at 50%, it will retain a reasonable voltage level for a surprisingly long time - weeks, if not months. If you store the battery at a 20% level? I have no idea, but I'll bet you're either flirting with a potential problem or it's just going to take longer to get your battery recharged.

Storing a LiPo battery at 50 - 60% is the "de facto" standard. Better safe than sorry.
I agree with Rebel - it's all about chemistry, but there's gotta be a good reason why *everyone* seems to agree that LiPo batteries should be stored at 50 - 60% charge.

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-12-28
Use props
EranR
lvl.4
  • >>>
Israel

OK guys, you convinced me. From now on I will store them at 50%. Thanks guys! Happy and safe flying.
2015-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules