Had trouble removing the plain Filter from cam!
1014 9 2015-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
arv
lvl.1

Australia

Hi all,

I am a "veteran" of two flights without mishap.

I bought some ND filters with my new Phantom 3 Pro, but I could not remove the supplied plain glass filter using as much force as I dared without damaging the camera.

I wrote to DJI Support and a lady named Sophie replied that she had done this and it was easy ....... I tried again - it wouldn't budge, so I resorted to a crescent wrench, with some cloth between to protect the metal, and  ........ it finally loosened!

Happy to be shooting video with better contrast now, but I wonder - has anyone else had this problem, or am I Robinson Crusoe?

Cheers

Peter
2015-12-28
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had that same problem too. I wrapped my fingers around the UV lens filter until it warmed up, then simply unscrewed the filter off.
2016-1-3
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Yes, it is on there very tightly, and with a smooth body it's hard to get a grip.  You can usually buy a pair of filter wrenches from a camera store to help change filters on cameras -- they are typically hard to remove and quite thin.  Unfortunately I couldn't find any that small, around 30mm if I remember rightly.  A quick tip is to use a couple of cable ties, one around the barrel and one around the filter.  Tighten them just enough to grip firmly, but not enough to damage the body or filter.  Now you should be able to get a good grip and with a bit of thumb pressure on the ratchet joint of the cable tie you can rotate them in opposite directions.  Once apart the cable ties should just slide off sideways.
2016-1-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do not press too hard because you will damage the lens cover. You need to have a LIGHT grip pretty much all around the cover. Easiest way is to use 4 fingers and have each finger spaced evenly and turn slowly counter clockwise. If you press too hard it will not come off.
That is a $30 lens cover so you do not want to break it.
2016-1-22
Use props
mosherbk
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-22 13:47
Do not press too hard because you will damage the lens cover. You need to have a LIGHT grip pretty m ...

Try wearing a Nitrile or Latex glove, like a doctor's glove. Worked great for mine.
2016-1-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Peter,
Were you able to remove it?
Also, be careful when it's removed. I lost my rubber o-ring that holds the lens in and it's a $10 part if a dealer wil sell you only the o-ring.
2016-1-28
Use props
Nigpd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 597677 ft
United Kingdom

When I had the same problem with a filter on my DSLR, I used a suitable sized rubber band ie a width of the rubber band to match the width of the filter ring and a diameter to suit the diameter of the filter.  This gives a good grip for the four fingers spread nice and evenly round the filter to apply minimum grip to the filter before twisting off  
2016-1-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Nigpd Posted at 2016-1-29 18:44
When I had the same problem with a filter on my DSLR, I used a suitable sized rubber band ie a width ...

Also an excellent way to remove it.
2016-1-29
Use props
arv
lvl.1

Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-28 23:06
Peter,
Were you able to remove it?
Also, be careful when it's removed. I lost my rubber o-ring that ...

Yes, as I said, I eventually got it off, with the help od a wrench!
2016-3-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

arv Posted at 2016-3-18 10:09
Yes, as I said, I eventually got it off, with the help od a wrench!

Ouch, a wrench. Hope it came off ok without any damage.
2016-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules