1234Next >
6234 122 2015-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
elbee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79101 ft
United States

i have not registered yet -- not required until Feb. 19th as an owner prior to Dec. 21st. (and waiting to see the result of the AMA "negotiations")

there were some very intense threads on the subject shortly following the registration announcement.  i was expecting to see more current discussion on the topic post Dec. 21.

anyone that was "never going to register" have any change of mind or any stories from those who registered being asked to provide your proof of registration? (e.g., the angry neighbor called the local police to get you in trouble)

2015-12-28
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136946 ft
United States

I have to confess, i haven't read everyone's opinions for or against registering their drone.   

All Cars, boats, snow mobiles, jet skis, airplanes, guns, motorcycles/mopeds,  and people (SSI #s)  in the USA have to be registered in some way shape or form.  

Is it really a shock to anyone that the gov wants to keep tabs on who is flying drones?  I registered mine yesterday.  Don't see what the fuss is about?
2015-12-28
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2015-12-29 15:10
No.  And I'm still not going to register.  My view hasn't and will not change on this subject either ...

You know... Instead of blabbing here maybe you should talk with Greg Walden... No?
2015-12-29
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

I can relate and agree with Flyin'Bryan, but at the same time, I did register.  
Pros and Cons to registering:
Pros:
If you lose your drone, you might get it back if found by someone either then you.
The government cannot fine you (if you obey the simple laws they have).
Cons:
They provide all your information to anyone.
Someone could report about an illegal drone flight and they will hunt down the nearest registered owner living in that area.
They could simply change the laws again and ban UAS all together and seize/destroy your equipment since they know you have one.
2015-12-29
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2015-12-30 04:14
You know, the OP asked for people's input.  So how about you suck it?

Suck it?

2015-12-29
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
United States

Bry-man throwing daggers!!  I must ask, why do you refuse to register your drone?   
2015-12-29
Use props
Gatorone30
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

I registered it was painless. I plan to go commercial once the FAA gets there act together and the commercial regulations and training requirements are issued, so whether it is now or later it does not matter to me. I would not register if I was just a model RC guy that only flies at an AMA field. The AMA is fighting the FAA interpretation and may win. I however fly outside of AMA fields and want to inline with what the FAA is requiring so I do not get hassled by overzealous police.
2015-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I see no harm at all in registering (and it is required) The FAA already has all my info anyways from being a pilot for over 20 years and owning several aircraft.
2015-12-29
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-29 16:36
I see no harm at all in registering (and it is required) The FAA already has all my info anyways fro ...

Nice! What type of aircraft did you own?

My grandfather was a flight instructor during WWII for the B-17, B-25 & B-29.  I have all his log books from his Army Air Force training through all his certifications. Pretty amazing how they flew them without any of today's technology.   
2015-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

I had a few 150's and a 152, then Grumman AAiB, then Bonanza, then a 76 and 77 Arrow. I recently flew a SR20, wow I got spoiled and don't want to go back to  steam gauges.
2015-12-29
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-29 17:00
I had a few 150's and a 152, then Grumman AAiB, then Bonanza, then a 76 and 77 Arrow. I recently fle ...

Yeah that Cirrus is a slick aircraft! Mind blowing technology in those little birds.   I'm a Western Michigan University alum. They have a great aviation  program there.  Fly safe!
2015-12-29
Use props
AssHatModerator
lvl.2

United States

0DRK3RT Posted at 2015-12-30 05:10
Bry-man throwing daggers!!  I must ask, why do you refuse to register your drone?

No, no, no, no, NO!  Oh man, please don't  get him started or the thread is going to get cluttered with an ongoing rant about government overreach, mind-control conspiracies,  etc and eventually descend into a quagmire involving black helicopters, flat-earth philosophy and who knows what else -- Nazis on the moon probably...
2015-12-29
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
United States

That's what I am hoping for!
2015-12-29
Use props
buddhabelly
lvl.2

United States

0DRK3RT Posted at 2015-12-30 06:54
That's what I am hoping for!

Ahh Grasshopper, there are so many other good people here on the forum from which to learn.  Did you come here to fly drones... or to become one?
2015-12-29
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
United States

buddhabelly@tam Posted at 2015-12-30 07:11
Ahh Grasshopper, there are so many other good people here on the forum from which to learn.  Did y ...

Good question.  A little of both now, that I think about it. You must become one with the drone to fully understand it.
2015-12-29
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-29
Use props
dingmanb
New

United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2015-12-29 20:56
If you'd like a good example of how it is the government operates, take the Bureau of Land Managemen ...

I might be a little slow, but please explain what's wrong.  Thanks
2015-12-29
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-30 05:36
I see no harm at all in registering (and it is required) The FAA already has all my info anyways fro ...

It turns out that non-US citizens can't (at least not yet) register their UAS's.  Does this mean when we visit the US we can't fly?  
I've sent in this question via the FAA's registration website but their answer was ambiguous enough that I still don't know.  I've sent a second question asking for clarification but have yet to get a response. Does any in the forum know the answer?
2015-12-29
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Canada

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2015-12-30 11:56
Yes sir. It means you can Not legally fly your drone in the U.S.A.

Well that sucks.  Too bad those government employees couldn't have given me a straight forward answer like you did, but then you know better than I how they work (or don't work)!
2015-12-29
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2015-12-29 20:34
Because, I only see more regulation coming because of people registering.  I give it less than 2 y ...

BOOM!!!!! Walk off home run right there, bad boy style.  Bryan literally just turned into a bald eagle and pooped tomahawk missiles of knowledge on us, you guys.  Government overreach, wasteful spending, tax hikes, more regulation, the whole 9 yards.  

You should immediately change your profile pic to George Washington, looking stern and powerful.  I just dropped to my knees and wept after reading that.  I don't disagree with a word you wrote.  

In all seriousness though, No government in the world is perfect.  As you pointed out, we are far from it. But dammnit we have it pretty f*cking good here bro. So take down the Don't Tread On Me flag for a minute. Regulations, laws and government oversight is and always will be needed as society, technology and innovation evolves.  If we never regulated cars, taxed gas, required license plates/registration fees, etc. we'd still be driving shit boxes on old wagon trails.  Same can be said about all other modern inventions that changed the world as we know it.  

DJI made UAVs widely available to the world at an affordable price, exactly like Ford did with automobiles.  RC hobbiests and smart marketing got the word out.  After a few "incidents" caught the media's attention, the government had no choice but to do something as far as regulation.  Media driven knee jerk politics at its finest.  "Drone" became the new buzz word everywhere, and it was the beginning of the end IMO. A perfect example of a product/industry getting too big, too quick.  Now we all have to live with what's coming down the pike.  More rules, less fun, big brother watching, and yes, paying the piper for a registration number.  

Let's be honest here, refusing register your drone is a rather comical way to protest government spending.  Just don't let "them" make an example out of you if your P3 decides to fall out of the sky and hurt someone (after a "flawed firmware update" no doubt. Lol).  Mark my words,  the FAA will make examples out of people to send the message they aren't screwing around.  I'm 100% ALL SET on paying $20k in fines for not paying $5.  
2015-12-29
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
United States

Might wanna tone down the  sovereign citizen chatter on here bro.  I respect your opinions and all but let's not get carried away.  Btw, those pics you posted are awesome. Well done sir.  

PS, rape should be punished with the death penalty. End of story.
2015-12-29
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2015-12-30 00:17
Lol nobody said anything about sovereign citizens. I'm just blabbering.  I was just saying, in a v ...

YES!!! I like to see this positive side of you.   
2015-12-29
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2015-12-30 00:45
You're a strange fellow.

Thank you sir.  
2015-12-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Tomsbird Posted at 2015-12-30 11:51
It turns out that non-US citizens can't (at least not yet) register their UAS's.  Does this mean w ...

From my quick reading it seems non US residents can fly in the US. Might want to contact the FAA to be 100% sure.

Q11. Are non-U.S. citizens visiting the United States on vacation or for drone competitions required to register?
Everyone, including foreign nationals and tourists, who operate a UAS for hobby or recreational purposes outdoors in the U.S. must use the FAA's online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive the same registration certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents. However, this certificate will function as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.
2015-12-30
Use props
blaine.burnett
lvl.2
Singapore

I registered and didn't get my 5 bucks back.
2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

blaine.burnett Posted at 2015-12-31 00:32
I registered and didn't get my 5 bucks back.

I have not received mine either, I'm sure it will come soon. they are probably bombarded with all the registrations that the refunds will take a bit.
2015-12-30
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-31 00:14
From my quick reading it seems non US residents can fly in the US. Might want to contact the FAA t ...

Yes, I read this question and answer on the websites FAQ.  The problem is when you try to use the website to acquire the certificate, I get this error message:

"Error
The request could not be satisfied.
The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country"

I have yet to get an answer as to how we're supposed to get the registration certificate or recognition ownership.
Does anyone else know?
2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Tomsbird Posted at 2015-12-31 01:34
Yes, I read this question and answer on the websites FAQ.  The problem is when you try to use the  ...

Ahh, I see. You'll have to contact the FAA and see if you can register.
Sorry about that.
2015-12-30
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-30 11:14
From my quick reading it seems non US residents can fly in the US. Might want to contact the FAA t ...

DJI-Ken,

I look at the registration of foreign owned UAV's as a double requirement. If you're presently registered in Canada, and have a registration number there, it's no different than any aircraft from overseas.

Registered is registered. British Airways, Air France and other foreign airlines don't have both FAA and JAA registration numbers. If the FAA continues to want to claim, that a quad is an aircraft, then they need to get their act together and figure out what reciprocity means.
2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-12-31 01:58
DJI-Ken,

I look at the registration of foreign owned UAV's as a double requirement. If you're p ...

I agree things are difficult sometimes with the FAA, getting my 333 exemption was a piece of cake but registering my Phantom with a N number was a challenge and took quite a while.
2015-12-30
Use props
pe9999
lvl.1

United States

microcyb Posted at 2015-12-29 14:26
I can relate and agree with Flyin'Bryan, but at the same time, I did register.  
Pros and Cons to re ...

The registration is for the operator, not the drone. Have registratered does not mean you have a done nor even proof of having a drone
2015-12-30
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Canada

DJI-Ken,

I look at the registration of foreign owned UAV's as a double requirement. If you're p ...

Thanks Gregg, I'm not sure I completely understand your answer so forgive me.
In Canada a hobbiest is not required to register a UAV (Unmanned Air Vehicle under 35Kg).  So you see my problem.
I have asked the FAA already on this but their answer was ambiguous and they just quoted me the answer in Q11 of the FAQ's which wasn't helpful.  I've asked the question again, a little more direct, so hopefully we'll get a clearer answer.  I'll keep the forum posted.
2015-12-30
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Canada

DJI-Ken,

Thanks Gregg, I'm not sure I completely understand your answer so forgive me.
In Canada a hobbiest is not required to register a UAV (Unmanned Air Vehicle under 35Kg).  So you see my problem.
I have asked the FAA already on this but their answer was ambiguous and they just quoted me the answer in Q11 of the FAQ's which wasn't helpful.  I've asked the question again, a little more direct, so hopefully we'll get a clearer answer.  I'll keep the forum posted.
2015-12-30
Use props
koine777
lvl.2

United States

That's right pe9999. Also, even if a UAV with your registration number damages someone else's property or is caught in a no fly zone, that still doesn't prove it was you or your UAV. Anyone could easily steal an existing number from someone else who posts a picture of it online. I've registered. It's an innocuous reality and I laugh at the government conspiracy BS I read here. Fly safe and have fun!
2015-12-30
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

So to answer the original question, after three days it would appear that there are no any FAA registration stories worth discussing.
And why would there be?
You fill in a basic form and pay $5 and go flying - that's it.
This thread is just another opportunity for the usual players to let us know how much they don't like government or FAA registration.
But we already knew that.
2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-12-31 07:43
So to answer the original question, after three days it would appear that there are no any FAA regis ...

Yup, that's it. easy to register and not a big deal in my mind.
2015-12-30
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

I did register.  However, If the FAA comes after for me for any reason  I am directing them to Bryan as the self-appointed defender of my freedoms as a U.S. citizen.
2015-12-30
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2015-12-29 23:25
I can afford pay multiple fines.   I can also afford a good attorney.  As far as I'm concerned the F ...

And who would implement these "hand chopping laws"? The same government that you so mistrust now? Wouldn't this lead inexorably down the same evolutionary path you outlined above? Better watch out as these new laws and methods of punishment may lead to you getting your tongue cut out if you speak out against the government. And don't hide behind your first amendment rights because I am sure in your world the constitution gets shit upon by the government every single day.  
2015-12-30
Use props
koine777
lvl.2

United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2015-12-30 14:36
If you're not worried, then let me have your info and registration number.

I'm not worried. Send me $5 worth of your Confederate money along with your alias and address, and you can have your very own FAA UAV registration number!

1...2...3... Go... Hahaha, too easy...
2015-12-30
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

Flyin'Bryan Posted at 2015-12-30 23:47
Dumb ass.  Did you forget how to read?   I said, I don't need them holding my hand... but maybe YO ...

Guess I am a dumbass. When you imply "system", I wonder who is deciding what is a particular crime and what is the appropriate punishment for each crime? Or does this system just magically form out of the ether? Seems like there might be a few more crimes than rape and stealing something out of your truck bed.  The death penalty doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent. Although I believe your system calls for swift public execution without a trial, prosecution or actual evidence. Just a swift beheading or perhaps a public stoning in the local sports stadium. Oh wait.....

Please elaborate on this system of punishment without government and the menu of crimes and punishment. What's a crime and who is defining it? Homosexuality, adultery, littering, prank phone calls? Whose moral compass are you using? Go ahead, I'm all ears.
2015-12-30
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules