100252 232 2015-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Suren Posted at 2018-6-27 08:54
Hi Nigel, RTH did not work when Controller switched off ... but once you powered controller again - it worked ?? Yes you are correct guess my wording came out wrong

Thank you ...

As another asked - how long did you wait before deciding RTH was not working ?

At 150 or 180m out and 60m high ... it would be difficult to visually confirm RTH until a significant time / distance covered by AC ... the height and distance angle makes for poor visual / spacial judgement.

I think a better test would be to find a nice open clear area and perform a flight out past 20m ... lets say go out about 50 - 75m .... but stay relatively low - well under your RTH set height.

THEN try it again ... switch of controller.

This way being more lower, not so far away - you will have much better visual to see if it works or not.
It should stop ... hover a few seconds .... then ascend to RTH height you set ... then turn and fly back to be vertically over Home Point ... then descend vertically to land ...

I strongly suggest you take over to manually land once you confirm it is all working as it should to avoid the 'tip-over' blues !!

Nigel
2018-6-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-6-27 03:16
This is part of the problem.  You never said it was 150 meters away.  You said it was 180 meters away.  Now you say it was 150 meters away?  Was it 150 or 180?  Maybe it was actually only 120 meters away?  How do we know?  We have to take your word for it.  

Why not post the log?  It takes less than 30 secs.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

To me it seemed so, I dont take likely to guys saying to prove things. The log is below and the distance is not the concern to me what does concern me is why the RTH did not kick in on full disconnect of the RC which it should have. I have alot of meters behind me and Pilot error for me is something that I will ensure does not happen hence me trying all these tests close by before building trust in the drone. I have done the exact same tests with my Mavic Pro and it worked all the time. I like to know that the drone is stable enough to go the miles and return back safely as these things dont come cheap especially here in RSA. This seems to be the correct log for that flight

This is the log after re-connect                http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/WZ4RSTCCRBYHRIX3C8LV/

this is the Log on disconnect          http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/MPMPK77TUTCR64V72X3T/
2018-6-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

solentlife Posted at 2018-6-27 03:27
No .. I have already .. and he posted 181 with the powered off but RTH working !! Which the three posts taken as posted do not add up.

Also it seems to indicate that he's surprised RTH was still available when he powered back up.

Just to clear up some confusion, i intiated the rth on re-power up of the rc, when it showed connect again after powering up RC again the rth worked when manually selecting it. I did not hit rth when it was off, my wording came out wrong
2018-6-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-6-27 03:32
As we all know, these things turn out to be pilot error 98% of the time - or more.  Some solid info would be nice.

Doubt you can call testing the RTH feature a Pilot Error
2018-6-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-27 04:51
Put the rc completely off, when i manually press the rth it works though .
Can you clarify the timing for this?
Is there any chance that you switched off and a couple of seconds later pressed RTH and saw the drone begin to RTH .... as it would normally a few seconds after switching off?

Tested just once only, I had updated the app before this test so going to roll back and check if it works. The drone did not RTH when RC was off just stayed there hovering
2018-6-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

solentlife Posted at 2018-6-27 09:08
Thank you ...

As another asked - how long did you wait before deciding RTH was not working ?

Thanks for the advise and tip, will try that. I posted the flight logs of after disconnect and before as well
2018-6-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

If you look at both the flight logs you will see that the drone disconnected at 10m:55 seconds and reconnected at 11m:23 seconds +/-.
2018-6-27
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

There are a lot of oddities about the flight - but nothing that has anything to do with the RTH not working with loss of signal.  The data shows the AC didn't move an inch after the signal loss.  I don't know what the explanation is unless you had it set to hover upon loss of signal.  Good luck.  
2018-6-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-6-27 09:41
There are a lot of oddities about the flight - but nothing that has anything to do with the RTH not working with loss of signal.  The data shows the AC didn't move an inch after the signal loss.  I don't know what the explanation is unless you had it set to hover upon loss of signal.  Good luck.

As mentioned it was set to RTH. this was checked before the disconnect test and after reconnecting again. This is one of my pre-flight checks that get done everytime I fly.
2018-6-27
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

I know you say you checked settings for RTH ...

But let me mention one thing : It is not unknown that after updating any part .. FW / GO etc. - that user settings revert to factory and you have to go in and physically reset your own. This has caught out a few people ..

nigel
2018-6-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

solentlife Posted at 2018-6-27 10:21
I know you say you checked settings for RTH ...

But let me mention one thing : It is not unknown that after updating any part .. FW / GO etc. - that user settings revert to factory and you have to go in and physically reset your own. This has caught out a few people ..

Noted
2018-6-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If an update changed the Loss of Signal action to the default value, that is RTH.
It's very rare that anyone ever changes this setting.
RTH is baked into the Phantom firmware so messing around with the app version shouldn't make any difference  
....  particularly when the controller is switched off !!

You've reported unusual RTH behaviour on one occasion.
To get this sorted out, you need to do some testing to establish whether this is repeatable.
If you fly out 50 metres and switch off five times, what happens?

2018-6-27
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

There are quite a few things about the log that bug me which isn't exactly on topic but it still bugs me.  This is one of them:  Please see the log a 0m 4.6 secs

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/MPMPK77TUTCR64V72X3T/

He has 7 satellites in a GPS/Glonass system and yet he is in P-GPS mode which means he as a satellite fix.  And according to post #168, the OP must have either 6 GPS satellites and 1 GLONASS satellite.  Or he has 7 GPS satelites and 0 GLONASS satellites.  Or vice versa.  This doesn't make sense to me.  I never realized there was such a huge discrepency between the visible GPS satellites vs the visible GLONASS satellites.  Comments?  
2018-6-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-6-27 17:17
There are quite a few things about the log that bug me which isn't exactly on topic but it still bugs me.  This is one of them:  Please see the log a 0m 4.6 secs

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/MPMPK77TUTCR64V72X3T/

That's not a big concern.
His Phantom acquired a good GPS fix and recorded home point with 9 sats.
It held 9 sats but from 3.6 sec to 4.9 sec this dropped to 8 with 0.2 sec of 7 sats.
Seven may or may not have been enough to provide a good fix but if not, the Phantom, like most GPS receivers avoids dropping in and out by smoothing things a little.
It takes a sustained drop in sat numbers, maybe a few seconds (not sure of the time required) before it gives up and drops to atti.

To investigate further, find a flight log where you fly under a roof and check when the flight mode drops out of P-GPS against the sat numbers.

2018-6-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-27 13:54
If an update changed the Loss of Signal action to the default value, that is RTH.
It's very rare that anyone ever changes this setting.
RTH is baked into the Phantom firmware so messing around with the app version shouldn't make any difference  

Have to test that theory
2018-6-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Suren Posted at 2018-6-27 19:31
Have to test that theory

It's not a theory.
It should be obvious that when you kill the controller, the Phantom is left on its own and has no way to get anything from the app or controller.
Whatever it does about RTH is what's in the Phantom.
It couldn't work any other way.
2018-6-27
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Suren Posted at 2018-6-27 09:30
If you look at both the flight logs you will see that the drone disconnected at 10m:55 seconds and reconnected at 11m:23 seconds +/-.

No that figures only tell you when it stopped logging and started logging again. You would have to pull the flight log from the aircraft to see what actually was going on seen from the aircrafts point of view.
As i told you in your own thread, i simply think you have missed how long time it takes before the connection get cut and how fast it comes back when you restart the controller.
2018-6-27
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-27 23:56
No that figures only tell you when it stopped logging and started logging again. You would have to pull the flight log from the aircraft to see what actually was going on seen from the aircrafts point of view.
As i told you in your own thread, i simply think you have missed how long time it takes before the connection get cut and how fast it comes back when you restart the controller.

"i simply think you have missed how long time it takes before the connection get cut and how fast it comes back when you restart the controller"

When the RC is shut down - how could it take longer afterwards till the connection is gone?
Or do you mean he underestimated the time till the AC actaually flies back?

2018-6-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Eric13 Posted at 2018-6-28 00:02
"i simply think you have missed how long time it takes before the connection get cut and how fast it comes back when you restart the controller"

When the RC is shut down - how could it take longer afterwards till the connection is gone?

He means that it's most unlikely that the Phantom doesn't return when the control signal is lost.
He's suggesting that the most likely explanation is that the signal was not lost for long enough to activate RTH because it takes longer than you'd think for the controller to properly shut down.

Some simple testing by someone with a + model should sort this out in very little time.
2018-6-28
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Eric13 Posted at 2018-6-28 00:02

No what i mean is that the +RC does not just power off, it shuts down nice like a smartphone would do, it takes some time and while this is going on the connection is still there from the controller hardware.
Also when the +RC get turned on the connection is almost instant but from a users point of view it takes quite a while as you wait for the "device" to be ready.
As the log's shows it was not logging for less than 30sec's, this tell me that the real connection loose has been very short.

Edit: here is where it tried to point this out.

2018-6-28
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

AC retains the user setting for loss of signal etc.

So yes its 'baked' in but what is baked in - is what User decides and selects in the app to be recorded as default in the AC in event of Controller signal loss / shut down.

So if user selects HOVER instead of RTH in the failsafe ... that is what AC will do if controller switched off .... HOVER.

Second - I am not only one who has experienced default settings being changed when updating ... Beginner mode ... 50m .... RTH etc. So my post was purely to suggest that care needs to be taken to CHECK settings after any update and ensure user still has desired options selected. I do not say it WILL change them ... I say it can and has on occasions been observed not only by myself - but others ...

It has even been the topic of posts on various forums !

Nigel
2018-6-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

What about looking at the *.dat files in the AC?  Would that help solve the mystery?
2018-6-28
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-28 00:12
No what i mean is that the +RC does not just power off, it shuts down nice like a smartphone would do, it takes some time and while this is going on the connection is still there from the controller hardware.
Also when the +RC get turned on the connection is almost instant but from a users point of view it takes quite a while as you wait for the "device" to be ready.
As the log's shows it was not logging for less than 30sec's, this tell me that the real connection loose has been very short.

Ok - got it, KedDK and Labroides!
English is still a language full of mystery for me ;-)

So I guess with my P4P without a + it wouldn't make sense trying to replicate that behaviour.
Since the remote without screen shuts down immediately after switching off.
Like blowing out a candle :-)
2018-6-28
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-6-28 01:35
What about looking at the *.dat files in the AC?  Would that help solve the mystery?

Agree ... I suggested that way back ... but didn't get much response ...

Nigel
2018-6-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2018-6-28 01:12
AC retains the user setting for loss of signal etc.

So yes its 'baked' in but what is baked in - is what User decides and selects in the app to be recorded as default in the AC in event of Controller signal loss / shut down.

I am not only one who has experienced default settings being changed when updating ... Beginner mode ... 50m .... RTH etc.
What happens is that some settings revert to the default values with a firmware update.
It's the same ones every time - no surprises.
Since RTH is the default setting for loss of signal, it's not going to switch to hover by surprise.

And hardly anyone ever swaps the setting to Hover.

But all this conjecture is probably wasted effort.
Maybe it did, but it's extremely unlikely that the Phantom didn't respond to an actual loss of signal.
The first thing that should be checked (2 days ago) would be to confirm there really is a problem.
Was it a perception of a problem or is there a real repeatable problem?

2018-6-28
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Eric13 Posted at 2018-6-28 03:03
Ok - got it, KedDK and Labroides!
English is still a language full of mystery for me ;-)

"English is still a language full of mystery for me ;-)"
I am a member of that club too, being skilled in a lot of programming languages does not help much here and google often struggle translating just the word or term i would have doubts about both when translating to and from English.

I don't mind giving it a shot more, better than not being understood at all. And you're right, from the sound of it, testing on a non GL300E won't show the same results and i am unable to time test anything myself as my own is still having a vacation in the Netherlands.

Only the aircraft log would show what really was going on but this would be interesting as we now know it took 28sec. from the app stopped logging till it started again.
2018-6-28
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-28 03:28
I am not only one who has experienced default settings being changed when updating ... Beginner mode ... 50m .... RTH etc.
What happens is that some settings revert to the default values with a firmware update.
It's the same ones every time - no surprises.

Blimey - you really have a problem don't you ...

It is why myself and others already asked the question : Did the guy wait long enough to see if RTH actually did act ... or did he cancel because of at such distance he couldn't really see or didn't allow enough time ?

Second - in fact having tested many FW / Go over a number of years ... my Youtube is full of most ... I can say that earlier FW / Go releases DID NOT change User settings. It came into being with later versions. This is why it caught out a lot of people ... posts abound on most forums about it.

Nigel
2018-6-28
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-28 03:36
"English is still a language full of mystery for me ;-)"
I am a member of that club too, being skilled in a lot of programming languages does not help much here and google often struggle translating just the word or term i would have doubts about both when translating to and from English.

There is this Translator which is way better then Google:
https://www.deepl.com/translator
So it says everywhere and I find it myself. Seems they are not ready for Danish though.

Don't forget to switch on TV Sunday at 8pm. Because you guys gonna lose to Croatia.

And this comes from a German, I know. What a desaster.
The country was never so quiet as it is since yesterday. It's like a cemetery.  
2018-6-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2018-6-28 03:39
Blimey - you really have a problem don't you ...

It is why myself and others already asked the question : Did the guy wait long enough to see if RTH actually did act ... or did he cancel because of at such distance he couldn't really see or didn't allow enough time ?

Thanks for that N.
I have no idea what the problem is that you perceive.

We're dealing with a guy with a P4 pro.
That's why I was giving information relevant to a P4 pro (and most other Phantoms anyone is flying these days).
That would seem to be appropriate?

As for posts abound on most forums about it.
Confused, mistaken and misleading posts about just about everything are abundant on these forums.
It's always better to deal with accurate information.

2018-6-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I don't suppose there's any chance the guy turned off his mobile device / screen and didn't actually power down the controller...

And btw, why would one deliberately choose to turn off the controller to initiate RTH - rather than pressing the RTH button on the controller?  
2018-6-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-6-28 04:35
I don't suppose there's any chance the guy turned off his mobile device and didn't actually power down the controller...

And btw, why would one deliberately choose to turn off the controller to initiate RTH - rather than pressing the RTH button on the controller?

He was asked about that first Q.
To test for lost signal RTH
2018-6-28
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-6-28 04:35
I don't suppose there's any chance the guy turned off his mobile device / screen and didn't actually power down the controller...

And btw, why would one deliberately choose to turn off the controller to initiate RTH - rather than pressing the RTH button on the controller?

Hi Mark ... I got the idea he was 'testing' from some other posts ....

Does seem a bit drastic !!

Nigel
2018-6-28
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Nigel
2018-6-28
Use props
Advanced