Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P2V+v3 Controller/Extender battery Care?
1376 8 2014-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TSP181
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18258 ft
United States

I have a few happy flights under my belt with my new P2V+v3 and looks like I won't fly this week because of weather so after my last flight I rechareged my flight batteries to about 30-40% as suggested for storage.  I then recharged my controller and wi-fi extender fully.

My question is; should I have charged the controller and extender fully?  I understand they use lipo batteries too which would seem to mean they shouldn't fully charged when stored either.

-TSP
2014-12-29
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

I have my extender and controller charged fully all the time.  It hasn't hurt them at all and I've had them since March.  The flight batteries will discharge automatically to about 50% after 10 days.  
2014-12-29
Use props
gnixon
lvl.4

United States

Gerry, what is the best way to take care of the flight battery?  should i store it with no, some, any, lots of charge.  also, ive heard about storage temps (warmer being worse and colder being better), is that also true?  i saw a few posts about this but have not found a good source for best practices...
2014-12-29
Use props
allbritt
lvl.2

United States

Several things to consider on the lipo batteries in the video range extender and the RC unit.   All lipos have a limited number of recharge cycles, so I personally don't want to "top them off"  all the time, unless you really want to do some lengthy flying/video each time with  a bunch of flight batteries.  You don't want  to store them for an extended time at full charge. ( long being more than a couple of weeks.)  A third rule is to NEVER let them go down to 0% charge.   For long term storage, periodically check them.    Also store & charge them in cool dry, place.  Excessive heat is a big enemy of lipos.   As Gerry says, the flight batteries will discharge to 50% after 10 days; the flight batteries has a smart monitoring system built in.  The RC and videos do not, so you need take the precautions above to get maximum life.  I am a newbie at the quad, but I have studies lipo batteries for some time now;  I also stayed at a Holiday Inn....
2014-12-29
Use props
gnixon
lvl.4

United States

thanks allbritt, so if i dont use my battery for say a week and i finish my last flight with 50% charge, then i should just leave it be in a cool dry place.  if it is <50% (say 20%) when i finish, should i leave it like that for the idle week after and then wait to fully charge it at the end of that idle period?
2014-12-29
Use props
allbritt
lvl.2

United States

Yes and Yes, but know that storing it fully charged for just one week is not bad.  Also know that most lipos will have a very slow discharge just sitting there.  So, don't leave it 20% for 2  to 3 months.  That's why I said to check on it from time to time during long term storage.   That's what a lot of people tend to do; forget, then check and it's down to  0% and that will almost always kill or severely weaken the battery.
2014-12-29
Use props
TSP181
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18258 ft
United States

allbritt@verizo Posted at 2014-12-30 03:01
Several things to consider on the lipo batteries in the video range extender and the RC unit.   All  ...

Thanks for the info.  As a. Noobie, don't have a feel for the life of the extender battery at least the controller has a percentage light.   How long would you expect the extender battery to last before needing recharged?

-TSP181
2014-12-29
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

TSP181 Posted at 2014-12-30 10:53
Thanks for the info.  As a. Noobie, don't have a feel for the life of the extender battery at leas ...

Between 8 to 10 hours flying time.
2014-12-29
Use props
allbritt
lvl.2

United States

The vision app has a charge indicator for the vision extender.  Look on the right side and you will see a small icon shaped like the vision extender.  Just above that it shows the charge level.
2014-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules