Newbie in the UK with a Phantom 3 Adv
983 11 2015-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
reflagg
New

United Kingdom

Hi All

I have just brought myself a Phantom 3 Advanced and having watched the tutorial videos and reads the guides I feel baffled with all the info.

One thing that seems alarming to me is the fact that if you use the left joystick on the control, pull it down so you bring the aircraft down, but if you bring it down for more than three seconds the engines stop, surely this means it will drop out of the sky????

I am using an Ipad and my Iphone 6 with this, want to be able to use both devices but only one at a time obviously, I assume this isn't a problem?

Is there a printable pre-flight checklist for for the Phantome 3 Advanced as well?

I have never flown anything before but having spoken to a number of people they tell me its fairly easy. I am just worried that all this info coming at me means I'll have issues.

Firmware and updates, where do I start?  It tells me my aircraft, control and battery are all in need of updates. Where do I start?

Any help and advice is appreciated. I hope to start sharing photos and videos with you all soon

Thanks

Rich
2015-12-29
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

No, to stop the motors in flight you have to pull both sticks like you do when you start it up.
2015-12-29
Use props
nigelwilkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

If you pull the stick fully down it will descend.  It won't cut the motors until the altitude stays the same for 3 seconds, indicating it has landed.

I'd suggest you buy a cheap drone to learn to fly  & practice with, like a Hubsan X4 off ebay.  Yes, they are easy to fly until something goes wrong, then they're very easy to destroy.  You really need to be able to fly without GPS assistance IMO.
2015-12-29
Use props
ptrdvs02
lvl.1
Flight distance : 211890 ft
United Kingdom

[RCG]Balthazar Posted at 2015-12-29 23:17
No, to stop the motors in flight you have to pull both sticks like you do when you start it up.

Hi reflagg,
I have the P3P and use both an ipad and my Galaxy S6. There is no problem swapping between them, just make sure you update them both and don't forget about one.

Bringing the Drone down with the left stick wont cut the motors unless it has landed on the ground first, that said, pulling both sticks down diagonally together is the emergency cut off i think although i've never done it.

The App talks you through the pre flight anyway so no need for a print out?

I bought my P3P in the summer and hadn't flown anything before and I found it so easy to fly straight from the box.
You can download the Firmware/updates from the download section on here;
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3-adv/info#downloads
put it onto the Drone micro sd card, then when you then power it up it will update itself. Along with the beeping there will be two small red and green led lights on the front of the gimbal that flash intermittantly and when its done just the green will remain on. The ipad and mobile apps can be updated through the app its self, just tap on the update notification and follow instructions.

Pete
2015-12-29
Use props
nigelwilkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

ptrdvs02 Posted at 2015-12-30 00:33
Hi reflagg,
I have the P3P and use both an ipad and my Galaxy S6. There is no problem swapping betw ...

"The App talks you through the pre flight anyway so no need for a print out"

It doesn't tell you to check battery levels/temperature, propellers secure/free from damage etc.  I think you're just talking about basic system checks the app does which is not the same.
2015-12-29
Use props
pi-inthesky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

HI reflagg
Sit down and read the full operation manual a few times until you feel you have mastered the terminology and controls of your bird also have a play around on the simulator to get a feel of the controls and different  programes you can fly with.This will be worthwhile trust me.
2015-12-29
Use props
DJI-Patrick
First Officer

Hong Kong

You can stop the motors by holding the left stick when the aircraft is landed . The CSC will stop the motors in any condition .
2015-12-30
Use props
reflagg
New

United Kingdom

Thanks for all you help folks. I am getting there. still seems very daunting !
2016-1-2
Use props
reggy72
New

United Kingdom

reflagg Posted at 2016-1-2 13:46
Thanks for all you help folks. I am getting there. still seems very daunting !

I'm new too, still earning my wings so to speak, my advice is not to worry too much, admittedly I did have a few low level hovers around my garden and I was absolutely bricking it due to confined space and control orientation issue as I was unsure which way the Phantom was facing, oh and a near miss with one of the props a little too close to my head for my liking.

But once out in a an open space with no obstacles  with careful slow control inputs and keeping the quadcopter at reasonable altitudes and distances for that matter within 20 minutes the fear had left once a basic feel for simple operations had sunk in, and once on my 2nd battery was absolutely loving it and flying fast with confidence in my basic abilities and certainly those of the Phantom which is a remarkable piece of kit.

Whilst a newbie to RC flight , I'm a bit of an old hand with high end 1/5 scale Petrol/gasoline RC cars, for me personally adding another axis, as in ascend/descend was the  critical hurdle to overcome.

Just stick with it my man and enjoy the experience.
2016-1-2
Use props
Anderjon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

Hey Rich, a little off topic here, but you're not by any chance the Richard Eric Flagg I knew from Heathfield School are you?
2016-1-2
Use props
reflagg
New

United Kingdom

Anderjon Posted at 2016-1-3 00:39
Hey Rich, a little off topic here, but you're not by any chance the Richard Eric Flagg I knew from H ...

That will be me, Is that Mr Venus??
2016-1-17
Use props
Anderjon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

reflagg Posted at 2016-1-17 21:44
That will be me, Is that Mr Venus??

Indeed! PM me if you like mate ;-)
2016-1-27
Use props