A question for Paul - Smart PowerCharger
2850 13 2015-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

@Paul -

On my new smart powercharge, as you know, the directions are minimal. Here are a few questions I am hoping you can answer, or others that might have the same charging system.

1) When the battery is completed on the charge what should the number read? Right now, I charged two batteries as a test and both finished with a 26.2

2) To discharge the battery do you do the following - turn the smart charger on, hold the red button down till red, then turn on the battery and insert? It then starts to discharge to 8% and then it begins to full charge?

I know you have the same unit and are an expert in this area and can shine light to me and others that might not know. It is now after Christmas, and I just opened the box.    It's a cool machine! Just wish there was a more detailed manual enclosed.
2015-12-29
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Shepherd
Does your unit charges the  batteries simultaneously?
2015-12-29
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Tim - Yes it charges more than just the batteries. Here is the link to what my wife purchased for me at Christmas. http://www.smartpowercharge.com/proddetail.php?prod=SPC4500   there are a couple members that have the charger and the reason I made the purchase. But, yes it charges everything at once, which is nice including 4 batteries total, 2 remotes, 2 iPads.
2015-12-29
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think 26.2 sounds right, not 100% sure though.

I am jelly of your charger! I want to get one down the road.
2015-12-29
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

SS

Paul has answered your questions and follow what he is saying.
Yes, with the SPC powered up, Press the red button for the slot you intend to use. The LED will turn red and that slot is now ready for a battery. Power up the battery as if powering up the Inspire (click, click-hold) and then drop it into that slot.

Now... If the battery has too much charge for the SPC to handle, the SPC will switch out of discharge mode within a moment or two. It will only complete a discharge if below a certain percentage - I don't know exactly what that percentage (or voltage) might be - it seems to be a little more than the 30% I've seen others quoting.

Be sure to turn the battery on (like you would if it was installed in the inspire) then drop it into the slot, then press and hold the deep cycle button. The led will flash (red) on and off once it has started the deep cycle mode.

I think Paul has a short video clip on the battery thread showing this procedure.

Let us know how you do

Rich
2015-12-30
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-12-31 05:38
This is not quite the procedure I describe. I wonder if we have different firmware versions, Ric ...

Paul,

I believe this is the way Richie told me to start the deep cycle.... because if you drop the battery into the slot without doing the start procedure (double tap) the battery will just begin the standard charge mode. I guess I didn't think about the battery arcing during the process of putting it into the slot. However I never noticed anything bad happening... it just works.  When I get back home I will play with this again.
Sorry for any confusion I might have caused.

Rich
2015-12-31
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

Paul and Rich I truly appreciate all the feedback and help. It's greatly appreciated. Just did my first deep cycle on 1 battery to test it out first. Love this little charging system.
2015-12-31
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

teamnest1 Posted at 2015-12-30 14:28
I think 26.2 sounds right, not 100% sure though.

I am jelly of your charger! I want to get one down ...

@teamnest1 - I think you will enjoy the smart power charger if you decide to move forward with purchasing. I've enjoyed it and works like a charm!
2015-12-31
Use props
Phoenixaerial
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

So today after owning this unit for a year I was charging and heard a loud bang and started to smell a electrical fire.  I ran over and unpluged the unit and boy I was lucky I was in my shop.
I took the unit apart and you can see where the unit misfired and created a small electrical explosion.   Waiting to hear back from customer service.    [/img]
Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 10.32.42 PM.png
2016-1-4
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phoenixaerial Posted at 2016-1-5 14:35
So today after owning this unit for a year I was charging and heard a loud bang and started to smell ...

Phoenixaerial,
    How was your experience with Smart PowerCharger Support? Did the unit get repaired yet?

Paul or Rich or other owners,
     Back in July, mention was made of upcoming firmware to allow battery discharge to 50% storage. Recently on RC Groups, this firmware upgrade was again touted along with a statement that this unit does not perform calibration because of insufficient discharge load.

Has anyone ever seen any firmware upgrades for this unit? Are "Deep Cycles" even necessary if calibration does not take place? Is this unit primarily a multi-battery/RC simultaneous charger?

Thanks for any insight or comments!
2016-2-19
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-20 01:50
Terry, I've never seen a FW update. Although I don't know where or how to find one if such a thing ...

Thanks Paul!
   I've been following your "battery-head scratcher" saga and thank you for all the information and follow-up!
  Evaluating where the Smart PowerCharger might join my efforts for reliable battery performance along with the InspireAngel from PhantomAngel Rocks.
  Other discussions indicate that FLIGHT LOAD or the load from the InspireAngel are necessary to accomplish full calibration. I believe SPC only discharges at 500mA and stops at 8% rather than taking the battery to required calibration levels. Thanks for your feedback and insights!
2016-2-19
Use props
ayrshireuav
lvl.3
Flight distance : 957297 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PaulKerry Posted at 2016-2-19 19:09
Looking at that link you provided gives Lynh Phan's instructions (which actually appear to be erra ...

I love my battery charger. Very expensive but by far the Best accessory I've bought for my inspire 1 yet. Although I've just received the inspire 1 prop guards from them too. Expensive but extremely well made and a must for indoor flight.
2016-2-19
Use props
bnewman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6285066 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it had the ability to stop charging or discharging when reaching storage charge (50%) this charger might be worth the purchase.
2016-5-7
Use props
fans9dcf87a0
New

United States

annot not get my power charger 100+ to register with any reading. GF pulled plug out when it was on. Any suggestions?
2022-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules