Compass Point - West Pennine Moors UK
1007 10 2015-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fraggdya
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Had this location popped into my head recently - it's a hiking route over the West Pennine Moors, UK - from my SkyPixel you'd see i've had to have multiple cracks at actually getting to the location as the weather has been awful in the UK, another storm is coming in today and my Christmas break over soon, so I had to have a last crack at it (for now)!

Packed all my gear and drove to the location, hiked a shortish distance to stage for the flight - very muddy and wet, almost lost my boot

Had just updated the P3A's firmware and calibrated the IMU before going out, did a compass calibration on site and off she went........and went.....

Given the distance and terrain (quite hilly moors) and some very tricky wind, was always going to be an in and out job - but I managed to get a couple of raw shots I was pretty happy with

I think I picked the location as I think it looks great and y'know - compasses?

Again because of the terrain and distance the signal was starting to degrade, so a quick RTH and all done!

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all!

Compass Point - DJI-0095.jpg

My SkyPixel

2015-12-30
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Nice!

I managed to get out in the Lakes between storms a couple of weeks back.  There was no-one else out all morning, no footprints, no cars in the car park, mostly due to the floods which took out some of the roads.  I know what you mean about muddy...I was sinking in normally solid ground!

Managed to get this shot which I'm pleased with (sorry, I don't have the hi-res version to hand).

2015-12-30
Use props
fraggdya
lvl.2

United Kingdom

nigelw Posted at 2015-12-30 20:16
Nice!

I managed to get out in the Lakes between storms a couple of weeks back.  There was no-one el ...

Good shot that Nigel all the best fella!
2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice photos.
2015-12-30
Use props
fraggdya
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks Ken, all the best for 2016
2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

fraggdya Posted at 2015-12-31 06:49
Thanks Ken, all the best for 2016

You too
2015-12-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Talk about an awesome geographical Land Mark?
X marks the spot. Is the X visible on your large scale maps?
What is it? Haha
Some  kind of hostel for hikers?

RedHotPoker
2015-12-30
Use props
fraggdya
lvl.2

United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-12-30 23:46
Talk about an awesome geographical Land Mark?
X marks the spot. Is the X visible on your large scale ...

I dunno there's a bit of intrigue about it, hikers definitely rest there but as yet I'm not sure how old it is, why it's there etc. Need to find out lol
2015-12-30
Use props
fraggdya
lvl.2

United Kingdom

fraggdya Posted at 2015-12-30 23:51
I dunno there's a bit of intrigue about it, hikers definitely rest there but as yet I'm not sure ho ...

Weirdly enough on my paper maps it isn't there at all, only came across it by chance when looking at Google maps of the location. A little tiny X if you stumble on it.

Please like my Phantom 3 photo submission https://t.co/0a9ha26hQ9 if you would - Thankyou and Happy New Year!
2015-12-30
Use props
fraggdya
lvl.2

United Kingdom

fraggdya Posted at 2015-12-31 00:04
Weirdly enough on my paper maps it isn't there at all, only came across it by chance when looking a ...

Finally managed to hike up there in the snow video for ya...

Compass Point in the snow
2016-1-20
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

fraggdya Posted at 2015-12-30 23:51
I dunno there's a bit of intrigue about it, hikers definitely rest there but as yet I'm not sure ho ...

It's a wind shelter.  There's one or two in the Lake District, designed so that whichever way the wind blows there's always somewhere to shelter from it.
2016-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules