NEW PARACHUTE?
1193 7 2015-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jowlesy
New

United Kingdom

Hi all, I know this has been brought up in previous threads but this product I don't think has been mentioned yet - http://www.skycat.pro/shop/skycat-x55
Anyone used or know anything about this? They show nearly half the impact energy of the opale paramodels system even though they use a opale paramodels chute?! I'm flying an Inspire pro so with 48 battery and x5 the aircraft is already at 3.4kg and it's recommended take off weight is 3.5kg. Doesn't leave a lot of room for a chute but that's a different matter I suppose. The opale chute seems to be good enough to save someone under the aircraft from being seriously injured but not good enough to save the machine and the flying eye is a stupid amount of money.
Any more news anywhere on this topic?
D.J.I?
Thanks
2015-12-30
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

I wish Dji would come up with something..... As expensive as some of these units are becoming, it's kind of baffling there isn't some sort of purpose built option for the inspire..... It's not only the 2k$ bird but also the 5k$ Camera it's carrying.... In the future I can see some sort of fail safe like this becoming mandatory for comericall uses ..... Imagine the new regulations being considered now after that drone just fell out of the sky  and narrowly  missed that skier just recently.  I would go for some purpose built light weight pack,,,, maybe on the back of the battery on an inspire.  But it would need to be designed specifically for the bird your flying. I am not that impressed with the solutions like the one in your link..... It just looks to clumsy for my taste.  Better then losing 8k worth of gear I guess. Most importantly, if it saved someone from being killed or hurt.....
2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

DJI used to produce parachutes for the drones, but we stopped cause nobody really using it.
Also my personal opinion: inspire 1= 20min inspire 1 +X5= 12 min
inspire 1+ X5+parachute= ?  7 minutes or something...{:3_44:}
2015-12-31
Use props
jowlesy
New

United Kingdom

Thanks for replying. So I take it there's nothing in the pipeline from d.j.i then? Shame, seems like a no brainer to me, there's clearly a market for it and surely adding a few hundred grams to aircraft isn't going to nearly half the flight time? No worries though, if you're  not interested we'll have to go elsewhere. If anyone out there's knows of anything decent or knows how to build a reliable launcher/transmitter and wants to make a s**t load of money please let me know. The Inspire 1 is an amazing aircraft but there's a lot of money flying around up there with no real fail safe. I've just read that last year the guys at https://www.ethz.ch/en.html have developed a firmware update for quadcopters that'll keep you in control over a motor failure/prop loss. Anyone know more about that?
Thanks folks.
2015-12-31
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-12-31 01:10
DJI used to produce parachutes for the drones, but we stopped cause nobody really using it.
Also my  ...

There's no doubt that there is a trade and off... This is precicley why it needs to be Dji that develops it...... I honestly believe that in light of recent events and public concerns The day is approaching that for commercial uses ....this will not be optional.  I could build a quad and put my on camera on it... A camera far superior to any offering of Dji....but because the inspire is engineered around its own camera the whole platform as a whole works much smoother then anything I could build....(anywhere close to the price range anyway). And that's the trade off.   

Same Idea  with a parachute... No one wants an ugly tube hanging from the side of such a pretty bird...
It needs to be designed in a way that is aerodynamic, aesthetically pleasing, reliable and functional.  In sync with the IMU as a fail safe would provide some added security.

Just my thoughts.   Be pro- active or re-active, however if you're going to market the bird to professional's it's eventually  going to have to be upgraded to meet their requirements from a legal standpoint as well as functional.
2015-12-31
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

AlaskanTides Posted at 2015-12-31 12:57
I wish Dji would come up with something..... As expensive as some of these units are becoming, it's  ...

If you think about it from DJI's stand point, crashing results in new purchases! Simple as that! I plan to check into the chute system and possibly purchase one as a backup.

You are 100% right though. We are flying expensive birds in the air.  
2016-1-1
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-12-31 18:10
Also my  ...

DJI-Tim - why didn't they just offer it with the purchase price. They would turn around and generate income selling replacement chutes etc.
2016-1-1
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

I like the idea. But what would be nice is that skycap to produce a plug and play ready to go out of the box. Other than attaching it to your inspire! I'd purchase 1 tonight.
2016-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules