Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Geofence
38252 639 2015-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-20 09:06
Again, the authorization zones are in the Beta app. You do not have to participate at all if you d ...

OK, Ken, I get it.  However, DJI isn't doing this for fun.  It appears DJI will implement GEO fencing perminently eventually.  So my motion stands unless we are able to opt out entirely.
2016-1-22
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-19 15:07
I understand that there should be no restriction for indoor use but there's no way for the app and aircraft to know it is inside or outside.

Another good reason to stop with GEO now and develop a system that makes sense.
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2016-1-22 20:54
Another good reason to stop with GEO now and develop a system that makes sense.

If the aircraft could sense it is indoors then I'm sure they would have built that into the GEO.
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

spiderbot.sb Posted at 2016-1-22 20:09
OK, Ken, I get it.  However, DJI isn't doing this for fun.  It appears DJI will implement GEO fenc ...

I don't know what will happen in the future, but for now its only a Beta app for users to try out if they want. Will all of the previous updates, you did not have to update if you didn't want to .
2016-1-22
Use props
imagines.and.wo
lvl.2

Croatia

I have to quote first sentence of this thread.

Is this a joke, right?

looolo

I think i know what will happen in the future...
DJI will share/sync no fly zones with all other players in industry. Like airline tickets or hotel bookings are shared.
Sooner or latter all reputable quadcopter manufacturers gonna implement this.
But sooner or latter there will be way to bypass all off that.

Just think about it. In age of torrents, internet & people going on Mars, one company is producing drones and thinking that they will limit their customer to fly in restricted airspace.
2016-1-22
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-22 09:42
If the aircraft could sense it is indoors then I'm sure they would have built that into the GEO.

Again, all the more reason to stop with GEO until a system that makes sense and does not inhibit flights can be developed.  A simple software switch could inform the quad it is indoors and NFZ does not apply.  This could be reinforced with parameters that require the VPS to be active and functioning when in this mode so outdoor flight could not take place.
2016-1-22
Use props
imagines.and.wo
lvl.2

Croatia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-22 15:46
I don't know what will happen in the future, but for now its only a Beta app for users to try out  ...

Hi Ken, obviously we all are rocket scientist and we know to do make customers happy better that DJI.

Just wanted to thank you for your support and please stay with us all top engineers & CEO-s..
Have a nice weekend too
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2016-1-22 23:11
Again, all the more reason to stop with GEO until a system that makes sense and does not inhibit fl ...

I understand a switch to tell the system if it is indoors or outdoors, but that would have to be done by the user since the aircraft does not know it is inside. And if flying indoors more than 3 meters the VPS is INOP so that couldn't be a secondary parameter.
But with the Beta system it does not matter, you unlock and fly next to an airport indoors or outdoors.
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

imagines.and.wo Posted at 2016-1-22 23:25
Hi Ken, obviously we all are rocket scientist and we know to do make customers happy better that D ...

Thanks, and besides being a DJI employee and trying to assist users here on the forum, I am also a user so I have to go along with everything just as you do.
2016-1-22
Use props
Geologic50
lvl.1

Greece

I think the implementation of geofence should be in the following way:
a. Locked NFZ for really crucial locations (airports, govermental buildings etc.). Unlocking ability only for professional use (with special permittion)
b. Special mode limited to three meter maximum flight altitude for indoor use. This mode should permit flying inside a NFZ up to 50 meters away from the protected installation fence.
c. All other zones free for flying while providing info to the user for possible dangers, restrictions etc.

Apart of the above I think the only registration needed is when a user buys a UAV. The UAV's serial number should be assosiated with this specific user and this procedure should be controlled by the user's home country goverment and not by the manufacturing company of the drone.
2016-1-23
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-23 00:46
I don't know what will happen in the future, but for now its only a Beta app for users to try out  ...

Hi Ken,
I know you are trying to do your best in what is a controversial subject (I wish I could tag Brendan here ). I'll explain why I think there is so much furore.

DJI have brought this upon themselves (not you-DJI)
* DJI announced that geofencing is coming, not as a trial but coming, in fact the title in the November 17, 2015 press release (Press Release) is "DJI Introduces New Geofencing System for its Drones". It further states "The new mapping system will become available in December via an update of the DJI Go app and drone firmware"
*Then in December, the time at which the press release indicated it would be implemented, DJI announces the beta test. This is the "we think this is what it'll look like"
*The beta test mapping was wayyyyy wrong and had to be quickly revised, and there were all sorts of problems with that. DJI employees (such as yourself) have been very helpful in helping people with these issues.
*DJI have since been very slim on communication with keeping people updated about progress, refinements, implementation goals and dates.

Of course people are frustrated/nervous/upset,  for many there is a fear that DJI is seeking to become an enforcer beyond any legal requirement anywhere.

I urge you to keep helping as you are but understand "what the fuss is about".

For my part I wish DJI would stick to a part of that original announcement "The GEO system is advisory only." I've taken this out of context slightly, but in honesty that is the approach a supplier manufacturer should take.

If it cannot be implemented perfectly, accurately and reliably it should not prevent flying anywhere! by all means though advise a user that they may be entering restricted areas. THAT would be a brilliant feature that would attract purchasers rather than repel them.

end of sermon
2016-1-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

mike.wildlight Posted at 2016-1-24 07:17
Hi Ken,
I know you are trying to do your best in what is a controversial subject (I wish I could t ...

I understand, maybe it will be implemented perfectly. They roll out the Beta for people to play with and test and in the meantime they are working hard to correctly define all the authorization zones for when and if an official release come out it will please most all users. At least that's my opinion and what I'm wishing for
2016-1-23
Use props
mike.wildlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-24 14:19
I understand, maybe it will be implemented perfectly. They roll out the Beta for people to play wi ...

I hope you are right mon ami, but I am slightly more pessimistic.

Such a large scale project has never been implemented perfectly. I've seen it many times and once worked for the largest of the large in the photographic industry who are responsible lots of the visual technology surrounding us today, now a complete shadow of it's former self because they were arrogant about being big enough to direct the market where they wanted. I'm more hopeful that this reality will sink in to the decision makers and they:
* Abandon the system as currently proposed
* Implement an advisory system that will be welcomed by individuals and regulators alike
* Continue to develop it to a stage that perhaps one day the "fence" becomes more solid.

For those that believe DJI is too big, too smart to make a company ending decision - history begs to differ.

A company such as DJI also would have the ability to test the waters, it could release additional identical specc'd models a fully geofenced, an advisory geofenced and a not geofenced and see which one sells best. It could even do that under completely different branding if it wanted. Multi- channel marketing is not unusual.

Time will tell I suppose, but like you a wish for a good result.
2016-1-23
Use props
jpflkeys
lvl.2
United States

Alan Z. Posted at 2016-1-2 13:03
I knew DJI was going to pull this in future upgrades to the software or firmware. My bird has been f ...

Which firmware do you have?
2016-1-24
Use props
Ribfeast
lvl.2
Australia

Any further update on this unlocking of No Fly Zones for IOS yet?  Or is it still Android only?
2016-2-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Ribfeast Posted at 2016-2-25 15:18
Any further update on this unlocking of No Fly Zones for IOS yet?  Or is it still Android only?

It does not apply to Australia as yet. They are rolling it out in the US and Europe first.
2016-2-24
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

I know it's in the BETA stage now but past DJI history would indicate that when it's fully functional DJI will sneak it into an update along with some bogus claim that it's a much needed battery update or something. I like my Phantoms, all four of them, they're awesome works of creativity that provide endless entertainment. I can not stand the fact that after I purchased these awesomeness' and own these birds, the manufacture is now altering the characteristics of them after I've owned them. It makes about as much sense as if I were updating my gps system in the car only to find out at the same time the manufacturer slipped in a speed control limit and now my car will not run over 55 mph. I dun-no......JMHO.
2016-2-24
Use props
gcvisel
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-16 22:14
This is the map you should gethttp://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly

How do I get an airport on this map removed?  Our little grass strip "Barnett Memorial Airport" otherwise known as Ogle County Airport, 20 miles southwest of Rockford, IL, is a No Fly Zone per this map, (but not on the unlock page!)  The RC will not let me start engines there.  I am on the airport board and need to get some aerial footage, but this NFZ prohibits it.
2016-3-23
Use props
DroneSpeed
Ban Posts

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

gcvisel Posted at 2016-3-23 23:52
How do I get an airport on this map removed?  Our little grass strip "Barnett Memorial Airport" ot ...

If you cannot arm the motors and it shows ok to fly from the GEO map, then you are not using the GEO Beta app.
It's a firmware update and also the Android device has to be on the GEO app of 2.4.4.
If you have updated your aircraft to 1.7 public firmware then you may not be able to install the GEO beta 1.7 firmware on your aircraft. And it has been reported already.
2016-3-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DroneSpeed Posted at 2016-3-24 01:39
Hopefully they will beta test it better than they did with the P4 which was released with a crippl ...

I tested several P4's and all of them got the same exact range as my P3 Pro.
And I got 24 minutes hovering on a new battery, so after the battery has been conditioned and forward flight for a whole battery in GPS mode you will get 28 minutes.
2016-3-23
Use props
DroneSpeed
Ban Posts

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-23
Use props
isa_aydin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 504692 ft
  • >>>
United States

Where can we find tutorial on how to unlock authorization zones on dji website and explain when and where we need it?
2016-3-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

DroneSpeed Posted at 2016-3-24 01:53
Can you clarify this? You are saying that the battery needs to be "conditioned" and then our flight ...

Conditioning a Lipo battery is something RC'rs have been doing for years. Does it do anything on newer technology Lipos, I still condition any Lipo battery I have in an RC vehicle. I also calibrate the Lipos as well.
As as far as range, have you tried lowering the video transmission bitrate, that will increase your range.

Another thing that may make a difference is the P4 in custom defaults to 6Mbps and the P3 Pro defaults to 4Mbps. That means you may get better range on the P3 because if the lower bitrate.
So again, for your comparison test, do the exact same thing for both craft, put the video bitrate on the lowest setting on both the P3 and P4, your going to get the same range.
2016-3-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

isa_aydin Posted at 2016-3-24 01:56
Where can we find tutorial on how to unlock authorization zones on dji website and explain when and  ...

Everything on GEO Beta explained here.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
2016-3-23
Use props
Ribfeast
lvl.2
Australia

When is the beta ending?
2016-3-23
Use props
isa_aydin
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-23 14:43
Everything on GEO Beta explained here.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system

Thank you. Can We use it already? Is it safe to use it in Beta?
2016-3-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Ribfeast Posted at 2016-3-24 09:49
When is the beta ending?

I'm not sure, the IOS Beta app will be available soon. And also if you already updated to 1.7 public firmware, it should be available to you soon.
2016-3-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

isa_aydin Posted at 2016-3-27 11:21
Thank you. Can We use it already? Is it safe to use it in Beta?

Yes, it is free to use and totally safe. As I posted earlier, if you already updated your aircraft to 1.7, then you will have to wait until the firmware is updated.
But if you are on 1.6 or lower, feel free to install the correct GEO 1.7 firmware for your aircraft and the 2.4.4 GEO Beta app on your device.
Here are some instructions if you are interested.

Instructions for GEO Beta app download onto  Android   device (currently only available for Android)

Uninstall the GO app from device: Go to settings, Applications, Application manager, find GO app and uninstall.
Installing 2.2.4 GEO Beta app: Go to DJI Geo webpage http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
Click on Android Beta Version APK, Agree to terms and it will then download
Go to  My Files, in Recent files click on the DJI app icon and it may say “Install Blocked” click on settings (if you get a different error then go to settings and scroll down to “Lock Screen and Security” Under Unknown sources slide the button to ON. Then go back to the DJI icon in My Files and then tap the icon and click agree and then the new 2.4.4 GEO Beta version app will open.

You also have to install the 1.7 firmware for your aircraft from the same DJI link. (only available for the P3 Pro/Advanced and Inspire.
When you get to the flying site, if it’s an Authorization Zone you can unlock providing a credit card or mobile phone number (using cell will send you a text message with a code)
You can also unlock from home ahead of time by using the map page and you can unlock up to 30 zones and they will be unlocked for 72 hours.  http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock
2016-3-26
Use props
isa_aydin
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-26 23:28
Yes, it is free to use and totally safe. As I posted earlier, if you already updated your aircraft ...

Thank you for detailed info, but I use Phantom 4 with IOS. I will have to wait.
2016-3-26
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

They have to do the dance Netflix does regarding VPN use.

On one hand, DJI's business relies on sales. So its a numbers game. More sales the better. At the same time they are being pressured to clamp down on their customers breaking rules left and right. Too harsh of a response and they lose all their customers. Too relaxed and they get hammered by authorities.

Netflix at least in the past did the ignorance is bliss dance regarding VPN use. The majority of customers used VPN to access other content elsewhere. Maybe there was a few eyes rolled and whistles going on. Ignorance is bliss. But now they are starting to clamp down on VPN use. The more they do this, the more customers they lose.
2016-3-26
Use props
quaddron3
lvl.2

Canada

Actually how do you modify the NFZ settings?

I don't think they're doing it right. Their NFZ is only at specific aerodome locations. Actually the law here states it must be 9km radius away from aerodomes. So I actually want to increase the NFZ radius from the default settings.
2016-3-26
Use props
stephen.h.watso
lvl.2

United States

Let's just remember this little statement from the FAA:

Model aircraft are permitted users of the National Airspace System (NAS) just like any existing manned aircraft flight. Congress confirmed in Public Law 112-95, the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, that model aircraft are aircraft consistent with statutory definition of an aircraft as set forth in Title 49 of U.S.C. § 40102(a) (6). This means that model aircraft operators can utilize the NAS as long the operator of the model aircraft meets all applicable statutes and regulations and operates the model aircraft in a safe manner.
2016-3-26
Use props
jewsh
New

United States

Dacon Productio Posted at 2016-1-3 01:32
This is a typical KISS SPHINCTER by a company to sell outside their country.
DJI builds drones and w ...

This comment is bull crap friend.  There are several american companies that create and sell drones without these restrictions. DJI is the only company to do so.  They (DJI) are taking the lead on this.  And they are doing it 100% on their own.

If US is making them do it, then tell me what's up with 3DR? 3dr is a US company that has been around forever.  They aren't doing this policing crap.  

I know you want to believe DJI is the good guys here, because you love their stuff.  But they really are the ones leading up this venture.  Nobody in the USA wants this, even the laws side with the drone pilots in this matter.
2016-7-6
Use props
cgl817
lvl.3

United States

I see a lot of new ads for new drones coming out, any ideas if any are as good as the Phantom's?  I would switch to another because of this GEO thing if they are as good as the Phantom.
2016-7-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

cgl817@gmail.co Posted at 2016-7-8 10:38
I see a lot of new ads for new drones coming out, any ideas if any are as good as the Phantom's?  I  ...

So far no-one makes a drone that is as good as the Phantom series. The latest attempt was the Yuneec Typhoon H, and I saw one and played with it recetly and it did not impress. GoPro have promised a drone, but until it is released, no-one will know how good it is.

It is not a good idea to bet on a promised release of a 'drone that will kill DJI' for the simplw reason most of them fail and never get released and none of them have been as good as the Phantom series anyway.

Oh, and by the way, several other manufacturers are also promoting Geofencing on their aircraft, so it is not just DJI.

2016-7-7
Use props
Mallettron
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82641 ft
United Kingdom

In the uk compare this
http://www.noflydrones.co.uk/
with the DJI version

I think thats the problem, they have tried to do a one size fits all, when in fact the local rules are more relaxed, but there are still places where you will be able to fly, but not with the dji geo system :-(
2016-7-8
Use props
azpholt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4619 ft
United States

cgl817@gmail.co Posted at 2016-7-7 20:38
I see a lot of new ads for new drones coming out, any ideas if any are as good as the Phantom's?  I  ...

autel x star premium
2016-7-8
Use props
Nasher123
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1952287 ft

Flipperman Posted at 2016-1-12 19:53
Yep - about 8miles away.

Only just seen your reply!

Are you still flying? We have a local club if you were interested, somewhere to share footage and meet up with other drone users www.threecountiesdroneflyers.co.uk
2016-9-22
Use props
fans5f8450e5
New
Singapore

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-1 00:51
Can you post a screenshot that shows 3/4 of the country a no-fly zone?

Singapore is 30 km east to west and 20 km north to south. There are 5 airports from east to west each with a 5 km radius no fly zone. That's 25 km out ot 30 km gone east to west.
2016-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules