Geofence
38394 646 2015-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flyfishnevada
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-12 20:41
There was an IOS issue last night, can you try this and see if it's still there.
1.Mobile device n ...

For the record, that did not work for me.  Deleting and reloading the app in my iPhone appears to have worked.  The red zones either went away, the local crop dusting air strip no longer appears at all, or shrunk considerably to cover just the runway, more or less.

I guess I don't mind authorizing flights in the yellow area (when they appear) but what a PITA for frequent fliers in congested areas.  And three days?  How about 30 days or 180 days.  I mean If I have permission today, why wouldn't I have it a month or six from now.

And while I suppose I'm required to call my local airport because I'm within 5 miles, I'm pretty sure they'd laugh at me.

"Hey, I live 4.5 miles away.  Can I fly my drone around my property below 200 feet or so?  I know you're not crop dusting until spring but the government..."

That's about all I'd get out before they hung up on me.  There are airports and then there are airports.  Most of these have such infrequent traffic that it's ridiculous for DJI to control flights near them.  I get big commercial airports and the like but rural airports that see a few planes a day (or a month) is crazy.

I mean, if you're going to restrict flights, at least remove smaller airports, helipads, etc. out of the mix.  Let pilots who fly in these areas deal with the regulations themselves.  Imposing restrictions on everyone, everywhere...well, why is DJI even in the drone business then?  If customers can't fly them, what's the point?

Besides, this is a serious issue but its way overblown.  Flying around your neighborhood or the city park, which is what most of us do most of the time, isn't posing a threat to air traffic.  Seems like everyone, especially DJI, need to take a breath and focus more on educating pilots instead of potentially grounding them.
2016-1-12
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-12 18:00
If you live by airports, in 2.5 you will see the airports in RED and you cannot fly in them.
If yo ...

"If you install the Beta on the aircraft and in the app you will now see those airports is YELLOW, and all you have to do is unlock the airport (with your account info)
This way, if there were an incident and a pilot reported seeing a drone around the airport, if was a DJI drone and you are on that firmware they will know who it was who flew that drone where they should not have."

If I understand this correctly, it brings a whole new set of concerns to this geofence system. You seem to be claiming anytime there is an alleged sighting (or the airport simply asks) you are going to provide personal contact information of anyone who has requested authorization for an area. "Bob Smith" calls you and claims to be an employee of some small airfield in the middle of nowhere, and you are going to give them people's details? Actually, the way it is written, you are claiming they don't have to contact you... they already know who requests authorizations.

Let's say I ask you for authorization to fly in an area. It gets windy or cold or I am just too busy and never take my P3 out of its case. During that three-day period some pilot sees a seagull outside his window and reports it.

Now I have to expect a knock on my door and somehow prove that I never left the ground?

What if someone actually overflies that airport with a drone? Only he was smart enough to buy from a manufacturer that doesn't track authorizations? Do I need a lawyer on speed-dial if I use your system?

Count me out. The moment I am forced onto this system, my P3 goes on eBay. This is over the top.

2016-1-12
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-12 13:51
They will, or email them again. They are probably getting thousands of emails from users around th ...

HAHAHA  so they may never get to you ..... but waste more of you're time keep sending more emails
2016-1-13
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
United States

They will, or email them again. They are probably getting thousands of emails from users around th ...

HAHAHA  so they may never get to you ..... but we should waste  more of our  time in  & keep sending more emails....... You guys have left Earth. You are not  in the same league as you're customer.. HERE IS WHAT WE WONT KEN........TAKE THOSE YELLOW ZONES AND MAKE THEM A POP UP BOX>>>>>>>DONE DEAL....
or keep your attitude and watch next quarter profits, you can keep the thousand emails a day too

Its a easy Slotting FIX IT
2016-1-13
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
United States

HAHAHA  so they may never get to you ..... but we should waste  more of our  time in  & keep sending more emails....... You guys have left Earth. You are not  in the same league as you're customer.. HERE IS WHAT WE WONT KEN........TAKE THOSE YELLOW ZONES AND MAKE THEM A POP UP BOX>>>>>>>DONE DEAL....
or keep your attitude and watch next quarter profits, you can keep the thousand emails a day too

Its a easy Slotting FIX IT
2016-1-13
Use props
rulppa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5943291 ft
Finland

where to report no-fly zone which is no longer a no-fly zone?
2016-1-13
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

rulppa Posted at 2016-1-13 16:17
where to report no-fly zone which is no longer a no-fly zone?

Errr, Eehaaaam, Hmmmmmmm.... Lemme Guess:

FlySafe@DJI.com

2016-1-13
Use props
4StateFlyer
lvl.2

United States

I have not upgraded yet.  There are some places I see I might want to fly some day safely and following faa contacting airport and control tower before flying.  If I contact them is 5 miles within airport unlock-able? Or in app is 5 miles show as no fly zone.
2016-1-13
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112211 ft
Netherlands

nelsonm010 Posted at 2016-1-13 05:53
DJI be careful.  I understand this around the Commercial verticals (and their projected growth rates ...

Taking off without studying current NOTAMs would be bad flying...
2016-1-13
Use props
supergrobi
New

Germany

Hi,

are  these yellow "Authorization Zones" already active? Or will they come with future updates?

This "Authorization Areas" are way to big, they don´t match with any legal restrictions, they are arbitrarily set.At the time of purchase the drone had other features. I do not agree with a compulsory registration before every flight, if i do not violate any law.

The "Authorization Area" around the small Airfield in Weiden has a diameter of 10 Miles, the law in germany prescribes a radius of 0,94 miles.

01.JPG

If this will be introduced in the next time, I want to have replaced the entire purchase price, or have disabled this feature. The "Authorization Zones" must match exactly with the legal requirements, otherwise they are not durable. I think a good lawyer can clarify that. I´m adequately insured to have it checked.

So please do yourself a favor an stop this nonsense, otherwise you will lose a lot of customers. I will not recommend anyone, to buy a DJI Drone. The competition never sleeps, Yuneeq is doing some nice improvements (Typhoon H).

Matthias
2016-1-13
Use props
gb
lvl.1

Sweden

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-12 23:06
No you do not have to plan, you can pull up to wherever you want and can instantly get the authori ...

Do you mean even without internetconnection/cellcoverage?
2016-1-13
Use props
gb
lvl.1

Sweden

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-12 23:33
I didn't know you were talking about no cell service. For that, then yes you would have to have a  ...

"Now is you need to do something out of the ordinary (like same camping spot with no service for a few weeks) you can email FlySafe@DJI.com and they may be able to accommodate you."

DJI-Ken, Please explain how I can send an email when I do not have internet access???
2016-1-13
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

There was a temporary issue with our server and if you follow steps 1, 2 and 3 the issue will resolve itself.   

For those people that updated and are locked now!!! I heard this fix is working. Try please thanks
Please do the following to fix the NFZ issues.
1. Please connect mobile device to the Internet.
2. Turn on craft and should be on P-GPS mode, please make sure craft has solid GPS lock.
3. Please make sure that RC and mobile device is connected to craft..
Wait for 1-5 min and try to reboot the App to check.

Thank you to those of you who brought the anomaly to our attention so that we could address it immediately.  The new GEO system is still in beta and is in the process of revisions based on user feedback (which we still welcome from people interested in the beta test).
2016-1-13
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2016-1-13 04:16
There was a temporary issue with our server and if you follow steps 1, 2 and 3 the issue will resolv ...

This is what scares me, "a temporary issue with our servers". I can see it now, 1, 345 DJI drones come crashing down after a server has a glitch! I'm all for safety but this is not the way!
2016-1-13
Use props
dji-p3p1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534970 ft
Australia

thumb Posted at 2016-1-13 20:38
This is what scares me, "a temporary issue with our servers". I can see it now, 1, 345 DJI drones  ...

Hmmmmm....,  Yes..., Temporary Server Issues Can cause many Permanent Problems for end users.

Like I said.....,

So what happens if/when:

- Authorisation servers have to be brought down to do Sw updates or Maintenance.
- Authorisation servers are unavailable due to peaks in usage.
- Networks are down. Downlink or uplink LAN or WAN.
- if Servers suffer a hack or are compromised

What's even more scary is that Businesses that use DJI drones for work will be loosing thousands of dollars every minute a server is "temporarily" down.
Imagine a Photographer doing an event shoot I.e. Wedding,.... Bride and Groom are ready......Oh Sorry DJI Server is temporarily down.. Sorry no lovely aerial  pics as promised.. Doh!!!

Can Somebody from DJI explain to us their Redundancy Strategy for Authorization from their servers please.

.... Or are users going to suffer these "Temporary Server Issues" grounding their machines on a more Permanent basis over time..

2016-1-13
Use props
4StateFlyer
lvl.2

United States

4StateFlyer Posted at 2016-1-13 03:14
I have not upgraded yet.  There are some places I see I might want to fly some day safely and following faa contacting airport and control tower before flying.  If I contact them is 5 miles within airport unlock-able? Or in app is 5 miles show as no fly zone.

Anyone happen to know the anwser on this?  The airport shows yellow on website.

I was wondering if this 5 mile area could be unlocked? (I don't have the new version on any  of my devices).  And ofcourse it would only be done after proper notification as said by regulations.
2016-1-13
Use props
marco58
lvl.2

Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-12 23:50
This link explains it. http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system

The Beta aircraft firmware is 1.7, t ...

Ken, what you write is FALSE. Italy is full of red zones, they are ten time more here

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock

than here

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly

Other point. I have written this problem to flysafe@dji.com, NO constructive answer.

2016-1-13
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

I feel bad for the mods. Decisions are made in China and elsewhere and they are almost as much in the dark as we are.

What a terrible, terrible company. So many questions and still no official answers. DJI's normal mode of operation. Introduce something that is not thoroughly tested which causes issues with many users. Users come here to find a solution or least an official explanation. DJI never addresses the issue or customers directly. While everyone is frustrated they announce a new product or something like a stupid dance competition pretending like there are no problems while the sound of the cash register rings in the background.
2016-1-13
Use props
PolakPola
lvl.1

United States

marco58 Posted at 2016-1-13 09:15
Ken, what you write is FALSE. Italy is full of red zones, they are ten time more here

http://www. ...

I just checked Italy on the map.  WTF??? Half of the country in yellow zone. You can not even fly above miles of empty corn fields and huge forests without auth. This is crazy.
2016-1-13
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

DJI you are headed to becoming the "Blackberry" of the UAV market place.  Blackberry once thought that they had such a lock on the market that they could dictate to their customers what they were going to do and buy, and look what happened to them.  This geo whether it is in BETA or live is a BAD idea that nobody is asking for.  The regulators are not requiring it, and the consumers are not asking for it.  So explain to us DJI why you feel like you can shove this down the markets throat?  Especially at a time when there are so many formidable competitors entering the market place.  

I for one am a little pissed off.  You put the advanced on sale, a sale really too good to pass up, and then quietly and secretively launch this massive pile of stupid on the market.  I have my P2 on ebay and a new P3 on the way and I am not really sure what to do.  I am certainly leaning to canceling one and selling the other and going 3DR or Yuneec.  This is really kind of hard to believe.
2016-1-13
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

marco58 Posted at 2016-1-13 09:15

I was hesitant to post the DJI unlock vs. no-fly comparison in case DJI defaulted to the more restrictive unlock map.The 2 DJI maps are conflicting, major installations missing in no fly or no fly (red zones) can be unlocked in unlock map. I would be very unhappy as would many others if the unlock map was what was incorporated in the app. I checked yesterday and the app with geofence agreed with the no fly map although that will continually change.

So this is yet another example of how geofence was rushed out by DJI without proper testing or consideration of the ramifications. Here's a hypothetical (I'm NOT going to do this): Fly into a military installation because its not restricted in the app, run into a legal problem, and then the defense would include - I relied on the no fly geofence application during my flight and hold DJI partially liable.

My guess is that DJI wants to get ahead of the competition with geofencing (and recoup their investment). I don't believe the FAA is pressuring DJI. As evidence, the FAA know before you fly map doesn't agree with either the DJI no fly or the unlock map. Its purely a business move and a poor one at that.

I also sympathize with the mods. Its tough defending something that is difficult to defend and without complete information.
2016-1-13
Use props
Davphys
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

aksummit Posted at 2016-1-13 12:30
Here are the new areas that are active if you have DJI Go App 2.5. The only way to get my aircraft ...

s posted earlier in this thread, there was an IOS issue putting part of the Beta 2.4.4 into IOS 2.5
Follow these instructions to remedy it.
1.Mobile device need connecting to Internet.
2.Drones on and should be on P-GPS mode, stay in open area with good GPS signal.
3. Mobile device need connecting to the drone.
Wait for 1-5 min, and try to reboot the App to check.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

aksummit Posted at 2016-1-13 12:33
It was 2.5 that had a glitch last night. It appears to be cleared as of now.

Yes it was a glitch and is fixed.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

flyfishnevada Posted at 2016-1-13 13:55
For the record, that did not work for me.  Deleting and reloading the app in my iPhone appears to h ...

Yes, sorry about the issue, you should be good to go now.
And for others here's the instructions to get your IOS back to normal if it doesn't auto update back to normal.
1.Mobile device need connecting to Internet.
2.Drones on and should be on P-GPS mode, stay in open area with good GPS signal.
3. Mobile device need connecting to the drone.
Wait for 1-5 min, and try to reboot the App to check.
2016-1-13
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

Davphys Posted at 2016-1-13 09:30
Hey gary - I posted earlier: I had a good conversation last night with Brendan Schulman, a VP at D ...

I appreciate the comments and the feedback and Maybe Brendan can post a bit more to explain this further, but there are two words in this response that are concerning.  The term"Right Now" tells me nothing about their future intent.  Yes for now you don't have to use it, until DJI decides that you do.  See my issue is that "right now" I am in the market to replace my P2, and "right now" I have some serious doubts about what it is they are up to.  Nobody had on their Drone wish list this GEO system.  It's not a feature because if it was they would be marketing it like a lot of the other features they have added.  So they are fully aware that this will be a set of handcuffs that they are taking upon themselves to put upon their customers, and I think they are about to get an education in market based management.  I for one have an order that is still showing pending in the shipping category, and within the hour will be showing canceled.  I don't want a GEO system.  Not "Right Now" not Ever.  So Brendan I hope you are listening.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jrm11 Posted at 2016-1-13 14:19
"If you install the Beta on the aircraft and in the app you will now see those airports is YELLOW,  ...

Definitely not, something like that would only be released to authorities. Say a passenger aircraft is struck by a Phanotm3 or Inspire. The FAA, FBI, local authorities and everyone in the word would want to know who it was. I believe now, from the information and alight authorization given tot he 3rd party verification they would know who's drone it was.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

4StateFlyer Posted at 2016-1-13 17:14
I have not upgraded yet.  There are some places I see I might want to fly some day safely and follow ...

Yes, if your current 2.5 firmware shows that airport a red zone, you can install 2.4.4 beta (and 1.7 on aircraft) and now that will be a yellow zone that's unlockable (unless you live in DC.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

supergrobi Posted at 2016-1-13 17:27
Hi,

are  these yellow "Authorization Zones" already active? Or will they come with future updates?

I agree that some authorization zones perimeter are over sized for that particular location. This is only Beta software to test out the overall way of how it works. A released version I would think would depict the area more clearly and the perimeter would more go along with the current regulation.
And if you didn't agree then don't upgrade the firmware and stay where you are at.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

gb@gblom.se Posted at 2016-1-13 17:48
Do you mean even without internetconnection/cellcoverage?

No, internet connection is needed to instantly unlock a zone. BUT you can unlock up to 30 zones for 3 days from home.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

gb@gblom.se Posted at 2016-1-13 17:54
"Now is you need to do something out of the ordinary (like same camping spot with no service for a ...

I( think if you are planning a camping trip in the middle of no where you would already know if you would have cell service. What if there's a dire emergency, I would think you have planned a way to contact someone and get medical attention in case something happened.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

thumb Posted at 2016-1-13 20:38
This is what scares me, "a temporary issue with our servers". I can see it now, 1, 345 DJI drones  ...

Drones would not come crashing down. If you happened to be flying close to an airport and the glitch happened I'm sure your aircraft would just land where it is. And if damage occurred I'm sure it would be a free warranty repair.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

dji-p3p1 Posted at 2016-1-13 21:06
Hmmmmm....,  Yes..., Temporary Server Issues Can cause many Permanent Problems for end users.

Lik ...

I don't how the redundancy would be built in BUT if I was a commercial operator it would simply be part of your pre-planning. Unlock the location of the wedding prior to the event.
Just like a commercial operator should have minimum 1 drone as backup for the "just in case" situation.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

4StateFlyer Posted at 2016-1-13 21:36
Anyone happen to know the anwser on this?  The airport shows yellow on website.

I was wondering if ...

Pretty much ALL airport areas are yellow zones and can be unlocked.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

marco58 Posted at 2016-1-13 22:15

Here is a DJI FlySafe map of Italy, it does not look filled with red zones as you say.
Italy authorization zones.jpg
2016-1-13
Use props
marco58
lvl.2

Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-13 17:09
Pretty much ALL airport areas are yellow zones and can be unlocked.

What about all the red zones in Italy here ?

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock

When will they be converted into yellow ?   I have asked to ENAC (italian FAA), and they confirmed me that it is sufficient to check NOTAMs by ENAV to be allowed to fly in EVERY italian NoFlyZone in case of no flights or special events there (quite improbable in Rome International Airport, but extremely common in many other spots classified there as red). Until you do not convert all italian red zones into yellow, this remains IMPOSSIBLE.
2016-1-13
Use props
marco58
lvl.2

Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-13 17:20
Here is a DJI FlySafe map of Italy, it does not look filled with red zones as you say.

Please go to Sicily, Etna and Stromboli, no sense to have these red. See also my post during your answer.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

aopisa Posted at 2016-1-13 22:26
I feel bad for the mods. Decisions are made in China and elsewhere and they are almost as much in th ...

If you are talking about now having a bunch of no-fly zones in the 2.5 app, it was a glitch. and following the instruction will clear it back up.
The 2.4.4 IOS Beta (1.7 aircraft) is only a Beta for people to test out to see how the app works.
But yes, DJI China probably has a lot more information than I do but I try my best to answer questions.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

PolakPola Posted at 2016-1-13 22:35
I just checked Italy on the map.  WTF??? Half of the country in yellow zone. You can not even fly  ...

Again, this is only a Beta test for people to try out. I'm sure if and when a final version comes out the yellow zones will be more defined. If not, then just install the update and you can stay where you currently are.
2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

gary.ok@hotmail Posted at 2016-1-13 22:45
DJI you are headed to becoming the "Blackberry" of the UAV market place.  Blackberry once thought th ...

It may be an inconvenience in the BETA firmware to unlock a location where you want to fly where your P2 will easily fly. But look at the comparison between the P2 and the P3 Advenced. it's worlds apart with technology. You can stay on 2.5 and not have to do the authorization thing if and when it becomes an official update.
Since you are still in the shipping phase of your new P3, the decision is totally up to you whether you want to have to follow some new ways how the app works or just be happy and keep flying your P2.
2016-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules