Geofence
38397 639 2015-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
perseas
lvl.3

Greece

Some things can be implemented further:

1. Maps accuracy and precise limits of a no-fly zone. The restricted areas normally are not circular, they have certain shapes. Huge round blankets covering the whole area beyond the legal limits make our drones inoperable. Each country needs a Geofencing system adapted to the domestic legal framework, there isn't a common regulation between Europe  and USA yet, not even among European countries and applying miles instead of kilometres in Europe is false. The airspace restrictions for manned aircrafts cannot be applied to the drones that fly much lower.
2. Inverted cone height limit regarding the red zones instead of these huge cylinders. Convert the perimeter of the red zones to yellow ones with progressive height limit. Many red zones are not real red zones and in many cases not even yellow ones.
3. Our personal data have to remain protected and not ready to be sold or used elsewhere under some vague terms. Data protection and customer's privacy are critical factors and the web servers can crash or hacked at any time.
4. Different rules of GEO for commercial pilots - now they may loose their jobs with the imposed flight restrictions by GEO, even if they have followed all the legal  procedures required by their country's laws to fly over restricted zones.
5. Educational programs and REAL flight restrictions for a new user; a few hours with the simulation program and successful pass of a few tests before the motors are able to fly.
6. Every beta or regular version has to be checked for giving 100% ability to roll back in previous versions, before it is published. Hidden codes and a lack of a detailed reference of what exactly each version contains is a deal breaker for the trust between DJI and their customers. Trust is everything, it is the real money.
7. Flight inside buildings is not possible now in red zones, why not?
8. Web paps on GEO page have to be similar with ones in the app, so the customer is informed before even he buys a DJI product.

2016-1-13
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

Vofar Posted at 2016-1-13 22:01
You should probably turn the auto update off again. You don't want to upgrade to the next version  ...

Yep..... I don't plan on updating for the better part of 2016..... and only then after some of the other folks are saying its been worked out.

This geofence is a huge undertaking if they are going to build a correct  database and actually maintain said database as these are constantly changing.....
I work with GIS for a living so I have an Idea of what a  undertaking it is.
that data base is headache enough and doesn't even include the server and technical side of things.

IMO its going to be next to impossible to assure correct data and  non interruption of service...
at some point you need to ask rather you want to build drones or police international airspace......

my crystal ball shows this being way downscaled in order to work at all.... I do believe DJI will see the light eventually.  the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
2016-1-14
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

Vofar Posted at 2016-1-13 22:01
You should probably turn the auto update off again. You don't want to upgrade to the next version  ...

Yep..... I don't plan on updating for the better part of 2016..... and only then after some of the other folks are saying its been worked out.

This geofence is a huge undertaking if they are going to build a correct  database and actually maintain said database as these are constantly changing.....
I work with GIS for a living so I have an Idea of what a  undertaking it is.
that data base is headache enough and doesn't even include the server's and technical side of things.

IMO its going to be next to impossible to assure correct data and  non interruption of service...
at some point you need to ask rather you want to build drones or police national & international airspace......

my crystal ball shows this being way downscaled in order to work at all.... I do believe DJI will see the light eventually.  the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
2016-1-14
Use props
Καλλιστώ
lvl.1

Italy

marco58 Posted at 2016-1-13 17:57
Why are you repeating something false ?   What you write would be true if red zones were ZERO.
Now  ...

Hi Marco!
I'm waiting for a P3A in the very next days..
I'm reading tons of forums and facebook groups, but i'm still confused...
When i'll start the phantom without upgrading firmware and android app (2.4.3) i'm gonna to be able to fly as per the second link you posted, but with the next updates as per the first link (geo system crap)?
It is correct?
I'm start to thinking to resend the phantom back to dji...

Thanks!
(Grazie Marco, più leggo e meno ci capisco..   )
2016-1-14
Use props
pknopp
New

United States

So as I noted in my very first post I had been looking at buying an Advanced but this slowed me down. I have a question.......I have a smaller inexpensive drone but I've never flown one off an app. Can I download the app without getting this along with it?
2016-1-14
Use props
marco58
lvl.2

Italy

Καλλιστώ Posted at 2016-1-14 11:27
Hi Marco!
I'm reading tons of forums and facebook gro ...

Before getting the bird, install DJI Go App and check which no-fly-zones is displaying, if they are these

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly

all OK, if they are these

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock

change version of the app. As soon as you will receive the bird, downgrade the fw below 1.7 if it is there.
Then stop all upgrades until this map

will follow EU regulations. Now most zones listed there as red zones are free zones after NOTAMs checks. Ironically, now some yellow zones are strictly forbidden zones by ENAC (big civil airports), so you risk to get an authorization to fly where in Italy it's clearly a crime. Other huge yellow zones (some covering hundred square km of sea) are simply non-sense. Alot of work waiting for DJI....

All the best     m
2016-1-14
Use props
Καλλιστώ
lvl.1

Italy

marco58 Posted at 2016-1-14 12:16
Before getting the bird, install DJI Go App and check which no-fly-zones is displaying, if they ar ...

Thanks!

I've already installed the app (2.4.3.) but without connecting to the phantom i can't see no map at all..
2016-1-14
Use props
Petrez
New

United States

right guys need help regarding this in the UNITED KINGDOM
on the geofence map my area is a yellow authorisation zone which i can unlock yes.....but when i boot up my p3a drone on its map its i have the yellow zone AND a red zone and wont let me fly????.
the drone is brand new this week so has all latest firmware 1.60 and dji go app 2.50
help plz because i cant fly
cheers

2016-1-14
Use props
Petrez
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2015-12-31 15:26
Here is the DJI No-Fly Zone map of Poland

your map is out of date my area is saturated in yellow which doesnt show up on the dji map but the geofence maps are different.i suggest you look at your maps first before you try to give people advise
2016-1-14
Use props
marco58
lvl.2

Italy

perseas Posted at 2016-1-14 08:38
Some things can be implemented further:

1. Maps accuracy and precise limits of a no-fly zone. The r ...

Perfect, agreed, great. The point is that flysafe@dji.com is a black-hole, no answers to emails after many days. It is a bit upsetting to read "write to flysafe@dji.com to solve your problems", one has to imagine his problems weeks in advance. And maps continue to be not updated....
2016-1-14
Use props
tomasocadly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2215259 ft
Czechia

Does zones unlocking work in beta version? Is it possible to fly in yellow zones with beta if i unlock it in my profile?
2016-1-14
Use props
dan.carloni
lvl.2
Italy

Another thing.. Flight inside building! It must be possible, under every circumstances
2016-1-14
Use props
tomasocadly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2215259 ft
Czechia

dan.carloni: you can fly in the buidling, because you dont have GPS in it.
2016-1-14
Use props
cgl817
lvl.3

United States

Ribfeast Posted at 2016-1-13 23:54
What is the cure of which you speak?

There was a glitch with the Beta version of Geofence that somehow ended up on the 2.5 app for a while.
Not sure that everyone got it but I did and it didn't look pretty with big red circles everywhere. They said in the glitch version most of the red circles should have been yellow but they weren't because it was a ... glitch.  So the cure was to hook up to the internet with the copter and tablet so it could revert back to the 2.5 app.
2016-1-14
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

I had autoupdate enabled on my IOS device and now have the app version 2.5. does anyone know how to get the 2.4.3 version back?  My device has never been backed up to a computer, but it is, at least I think, backed up to the "cloud".
2016-1-14
Use props
voyager4000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 192172 ft

Netherlands

Tomsbird Posted at 2016-1-14 15:20
I had autoupdate enabled on my IOS device and now have the app version 2.5. does anyone know how to  ...

You  can restore it from the Icloud. I did it too and it work.

I don't like DJI at the moment. I don't want the Geofencing, I dont want to give Dji my phone number or Creditcard.... I'm thinking of selling my P3p. Thanks DJI for nothing, you sold me a Phantom but it look more like leasing it. I'm going to look for a Yuneec, have even a much beter service.
2016-1-14
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-13 18:15
I don't think I deviated from that answer and if it seemed like I did than I'm sorry.
I know the v ...

Ken,

I realize that you don't have the answers. But how does one go about getting them? Your comments have raised some serious issues.

"I don't think I deviated from that answer and if it seemed like I did than I'm sorry."

You actually didn't provide an answer to deviate from. The point is you implied that just about anyone at the airport can call up, claim there was a "sighting" and get information on anyone who is authorized for that area. You then corrected that to read valid law enforcement based on a collision. Then restated the information can be released based on a "sighting."

"I know the verification process is done through a third party and DJI does not keep that data."

What is the 3rd party's privacy policy? They will collect personal information. They will store that information. They will be releasing that information to 3rd parties under what exact conditions? This is all very important to know.

"If an incident happened it would probably take a Subpoena to get information from the 3rd party to find out who was in violation."

I realize you don't have the details, but "probably" doesn't cut it. It would also help to know what constitutes an "incident." An alleged sighting? A near-miss? A collision? Again, personal information is being collected  and we have no idea of how or to whom it will be released.

"A random person wouldn't be able to say someone flew over my house and I need the name of the person that it was."

Forgetting for a moment that we have no idea if this is or is not the case....  You are moving the goalposts.

Your original comments were based around airports and possible sightings. We are talking about pilots/airport personnel claiming they have seen something which may or may not be a drone. Based on this allegation, there seems to be some mechanism for someone (airport personnel, FAA and/or LE) to get a list of anyone who used the DJI system to authorize for that area. We have no idea who that "someone" may be, what information will be released to them, under what circumstances it will be released or what the repercussions are for being on the list of names released.

As it seems, it then becomes the responsibility of that person to somehow prove they weren't flying at the alleged location at the time of the possible sighting. Using the authorization system seems to be an inadvertent form of self-incrimination (of an innocent person).

Someone at DJI needs to get their head screwed on straight and come up wth a formal policy addressing these critical points. Personal data privacy concerns should have been the FIRST item addressed in this new system.

There are many unanswered questions revolving around personal information. The lack of answers and detail is very disturbing.
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Καλλιστώ Posted at 2016-1-14 18:27
Hi Marco!
I'm reading tons of forums and facebook gro ...

If you are currently in a red no-fly zone at your location you need to go to a different area to be able to fly.
IF you are on the Beta test firmware on your aircraft and app then you will be able to fly in that red zone (will be yellow zone now) by unlocking that zone.
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

pknopp Posted at 2016-1-14 18:40
So as I noted in my very first post I had been looking at buying an Advanced but this slowed me dow ...

Without a DJI P3 you can still download the app and get to the main page and watch tutorial videos but you need to be connected to a Phantom3/Inspire at least once and that will let you get into the app and move around the different screens. You'll get to see how the app works but still without being connected to an aircraft you won't see all the screens or options.
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Καλλιστώ Posted at 2016-1-14 19:22
Thanks!

I've already installed the app (2.4.3.) but without connecting to the phantom i can't see ...

The latest DJO GO app is 2.5 and the Beta test app is 2.4.4
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Petrez Posted at 2016-1-14 19:24
right guys need help regarding this in the UNITED KINGDOM
on the geofence map my area is a yellow au ...

You also download the Advanced 1.7 Beta firmware to your aircraft correct?
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Petrez Posted at 2016-1-14 19:36
your map is out of date my area is saturated in yellow which doesnt show up on the dji map but the ...

In the Beta app map view you can only see a localized area and it will show the yellow authorization zones. If you zoom out, then it shows nothing outside of your area. I will ask ans suggest that users can zoom to wherever they want on the map and it will show the yellow zones. I'm sure it's like that just for the Beta.
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

tomasocadly Posted at 2016-1-14 20:28
Does zones unlocking work in beta version? Is it possible to fly in yellow zones with beta if i unlo ...

If you are not using the Beta app then there are no yellow authorization zones.
In the Beta, all you have to do is unlock the zone and it will allow you to fly there.
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

dan.carloni Posted at 2016-1-14 20:31
Another thing.. Flight inside building! It must be possible, under every circumstances

If in Beta app, you still need to unlock the zone. If you get GPS lock inside the building, the app does not know if you are inside or outside. If you do not get GPS lock, you may need to power up outside and unlock then go about your business flying inside the building.
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

cgl817@gmail.co Posted at 2016-1-14 22:10
There was a glitch with the Beta version of Geofence that somehow ended up on the 2.5 app for a wh ...

Yes, that has been resolved the other day with the following instructions.

1.Mobile device needs to be connected to  the Internet.
2.Aircraft on and should be on P-GPS mode, stay in open area with good GPS signal.
3. Mobile device needs to be connected to the aircraft.

Wait for 1-5 min, and try to reboot the App to check.
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jrm11 Posted at 2016-1-14 22:59
Ken,

I realize that you don't have the answers. But how does one go about getting them? Your comme ...

I understand your concerns and I probably shouldn't have tried to assist in the first place and suggested you forward all your questions to FlySafe@DJI.com. But I was trying to be helpful.
And moving goalposts is not correct. I used that example if you lived within a airport yellow zone and you were complaining about the Phantom that buzzes by your house once in a while. In that situation I don't believe there's anything you can do about it unless there was some kind of threat and the authorities got involved. But again, I'm giving my opinions.
So let's just say for any legal questions about Geo fencing I ask you to send an email to FlySafe@DJI.com and there's nothing more I can do for you.
2016-1-14
Use props
Καλλιστώ
lvl.1

Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-14 17:01
The latest DJO GO app is 2.5 and the Beta test app is 2.4.4

Thanks, i'm in Italy and i would like to avoid this geofence stuff, because as far as i can see doesn't allow to flight over areas where i can actually fly and let me fly in area where the italian laws say i can't.
So i would prefer to wait at least until the system is ok and the no fly zones reflect the real situation..
2016-1-14
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-14 11:28
I understand your concerns and I probably shouldn't have tried to assist in the first place and su ...

"So let's just say for any legal questions about Geo fencing I ask you to send an email to FlySafe@DJI.com and there's nothing more I can do for you."

Fair enough.  As I pointed out, I realize you don't have the answers. I just didn't realize you were giving opinions/guesses. Didn't mean to come across as I was attacking you. Just looking for some straight answers.

To be clear, however, it is a policy question not a legal one. There doesn't seem to be an official DJI policy on this topic. Users shouldn't have to send an email to the black hole and hope for individual answers. The topic of privacy and personal data collection should have a formal policy that applies equally to all users. That policy should be published on the website so people can make an informed decision on purchasing a product or downloading new software.

Again, this whole thing doesn't look like it was thought out very well. It certainly hasn't been communicated very well.
2016-1-14
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I strongly urge anyone who suddenly finds they cannot fly their drone due to geo fencing to demand a full refund from wherever they purchased it. Let's bring this issue to a head. Using circles as a geofence and blocking people from flying where they legally can is unacceptable. When enough money flows in the wrong direction, something will get done about the problem.
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Καλλιστώ Posted at 2016-1-15 00:32
Thanks, i'm in Italy and i would like to avoid this geofence stuff, because as far as i can see do ...

The Geo is only a Beta test for people to try out, if you don't want to try it, you do not have to.
IF you live in a red zone now and cannot fly, then updating will allow you to fly.
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jrm11 Posted at 2016-1-15 00:41
"So let's just say for any legal questions about Geo fencing I ask you to send an email to  and th ...

When you do download the app you have to accept that you've read all the legal info before it installs the new app.. There is a lot of information in that screen that may answer some of your questions.
2016-1-14
Use props
marco58
lvl.2

Italy

Καλλιστώ Posted at 2016-1-14 12:22
Thanks!

I've already installed the app (2.4.3.) but without connecting to the phantom i can't see ...

Strange, when I open my app with the bird off, I always see the map, with the blue dot where the tablet gps is located, and with all nearby big airports as red spots, according to the old DJI map. Sorry, unable to help further.  ciao!   m
2016-1-14
Use props
marco58
lvl.2

Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-14 18:11
The Geo is only a Beta test for people to try out, if you don't want to try it, you do not have to ...

Dear Ken, I have a BIG question: is this map

EXACTLY the same map available to beta-tester, or are they different ?

Sorry, I prefer to not risk to become a beta tester to check myself, flying "free" like in 2015 is more important....
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

marco58 Posted at 2016-1-15 01:36
Dear Ken, I have a BIG question: is this map

As far as I know yes it's the same, at least in my area the online map is the same as the map in the app.
BUT, if you don't like something about it, it's very easy to downgrade back to 2.5.
If you want to test out the Beta, make sure to also install the correct 1.7 aircraft version.
If you downgrade, delete the app and download 2.5 from the Android Play store and download the 1.6 firmware to your SD card.
2016-1-14
Use props
youngskyculler
lvl.1

United States

Is ATTItude mode affected (in beta) by geofencing when starting inside a yellow zone?
Is ATTItude mode affected (in beta) by geofencing when starting outside a yellow zone and crossing into one?
2016-1-14
Use props
marco58
lvl.2

Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-14 19:04
As far as I know yes it's the same, at least in my area the online map is the same as the map in t ...

Many thanks, Ken. Now, TWO questions:

1. Will this online map
be updated according to our requests sent to
Brendan.Schulman@dji.com or flysafe@dji.com or djisupport@airmap.io ?
Any idea on the times ?  (weeks, months, years....)

2. Please go to Italy in this map
Has it common sense that I can fly in the main airstrip of the International Rome Airport (ID: 629727, unlockable yellow area) and cannot on Etna top (ID: 659476, untouchable red zone), a desert without anything civil, military, sensible, industrial, crowded .....?
2016-1-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

marco58 Posted at 2016-1-15 02:23
Many thanks, Ken. Now, TWO questions:

1. Will this online map

1. We will have to wait and see how the zones are defined in an official release. I'm no longer going to give my opinion since it's not DJI's word.
2. Post a screenshot.
2016-1-14
Use props
jimmy3dd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 43091 ft
United States

I've read most of these Geofence postings but not every single one and may have missed it. But my question is if you are in an area that needs unlocked and you have a cell phone with you to unlock the area, then must you use the cell phone to fly with? Or is the account unlocked and all your devices along with it. My tablet I use to fly with does not have cellular so if I connect with my phone to unlock would I then be able to switch back to my tablet to fly? thanks
2016-1-14
Use props
TimUK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I'm not sure if this "Hypothetical" question has already been asked (and I'm not going back through 500 + posts to find out) but consider this scenario.

If I'm flying using DJI's Geo but their zonal information is inaccurate and because of this I inadvertently break the law in my country and end up being charged and prosecuted, where do I stand legally and where would this leave DJI and their partner Airmap.

As we are all well aware from recent events and confusion over side server errors and the like, couple this with the inaccuracies on the Geo maps it's not beyond the realms of possibility that something like this could happen.

Please don't just say that this cannot happen because people do get struck by lightning and people do win the lottery even though the odds for either are astronomical.
2016-1-14
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-14 14:09
1. We will have to wait and see how the zones are defined in an official release. I'm no longer go ...

Right, I know you are in tough spot trying to be helpful.

The point is we are waiting for DJI's word. Here we are on day 3 or 4 of this issue and as usual your corporate overloads remain silent.

Unless you are holding back on us, they have left you swinging in the wind while a bunch of us throw rotten tomatoes at you as the corporate face in frustration while they continue to hide.
2016-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules