Prop Guards for Phantom 2---Can they protect more than just props?
3265 17 2014-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
birdfolk
lvl.3

United States

I've only experienced ONE uncontrolled descent at a sharp angle 'til it crashed, and thankfully it landed in soft sand, so there was no damage---but I was wondering, had the Phantom landed on something less forgiving, would the prop guards HELP protect the "arms" (for lack of a better word), from cracking, or could the prop guards actually make things worse, by applying more of a twisting force/torq to the very tip of the arm at the moment of impact.
I realize the prop guards are designed intentionally flimsy, and that comforts me a little, but they only bolt on the very tip with TWO screws...!
Does anyone have any experiences they wish to share concerning prop guards and crashes?
2014-12-29
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

Hi, yes, I shoot professionally and I keep mine on.  If you have a tip over on landinding they will not only protect your props but also stop the motor from being forcibly stalled which will Stuff it ( many reports here of tipped motors burning out/unable to restart.)

They also protect against hitting buildings and fences (it will happen.!!!) Try this without prop guards and you will be sweeping up bits of plastic.  they are rumoured to be vulnerable to vortex effect:  fly sensibly, don't do rapid vertical descents and you should never encounter this.  AND of course you may just fly into someone!!   They will appreciate the fact that you had guards on rather than hitting them with a food blender!! (and the litigation could last the rest of your life.)   This is my experience and my opinion- no doubt others may have a different viewpoint.   All the best and fly safe.
Rod
2014-12-29
Use props
momochi
lvl.2

United States

To use or NOT to use the prop guards is a personal choice. If you are uncomfortable with your flying abilities or are new to flying the Phantom, than yes the prop guards do add some protection but they also do decrease the performance of the aircraft. You have added weight, as well as introduced an object into the prop wash area. As a far as protection from buildings and people. You should use common sense and NOT fly so close to them as to create that possibility from happening. A test was conducting to determine if the prop guards would protect you from hurting a person. The area between the guards is large enough to allow an arm to enter and contact the blades. The small sting used between the guards is not a strong barrier. The point I am making is "Do not use the prop guards as an excuse to fly wreck less or close to people." As far as protecting your Phantom, they and a small bit of protection to the props but also add binding force to the arms in the event of a strong impact. You need to decide for yourself. Please fly with common sense.
2014-12-30
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

momochi Posted at 2014-12-30 18:42
To use or NOT to use the prop guards is a personal choice. If you are uncomfortable with your flying ...

Yep they are a personal choice.  In an ideal world you shouldn't hit people, buildings , crash, or have landing tipovers.  Have you read this forum?  
I drive my car safely and with forward planning- but guess what- I always wear my seat belt.  accidents by definition are unplanned extraordinary events.  I work in health and safety a lot in my video work and there are only three causes of an accident: 1.mechanical failure 2. environmental influence. 3 Human error.   Sound anything like the Phantom stories? These points can be found in nearly every post here.

And regarding performance- I have flown extensively with and without guards and I have not noticed any performance difference or had any prop wash issues.  This is not a stunt drone- if you are going into power descents and inversions  then, although a good pilot can do it, this is not the right piece of kit in my opinion.  But as you say it is a personal choice- I have made mine based on experience and it works for me.
2014-12-30
Use props
gnixon
lvl.4

United States

the guards have saved me on 2 occasions (one was a tipped over landing and the other was bumping into the side of my house).  in both situations, the props not only were saved but they kept spinning (and it kept flying).  i have done some power descents and notice no prop wash.  i love the guards, best accessory i could have bought.

the only down side to them is that they dont go on or come off easily (due to using the actual rotor screws to mount).  this makes transport a bit cludgy so im still trying to figure out hte best way to transport around town without having to dismantle and reattach the guards every time.
2014-12-30
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

gnixon@comporiu Posted at 2014-12-31 05:02
the guards have saved me on 2 occasions (one was a tipped over landing and the other was bumping int ...

Ah point made!  I purchased a case that takes the bird with props and guards in position so transport is easy. Details posted a couple of times elsewhere.
Cheers!
Rod
2014-12-30
Use props
gnixon
lvl.4

United States

rod, i cant find the other posts, would you mind sharing?  I'd LOVE a way to transport easily with them on.  really appreciate it if you dont mind reposting here as this forum isnt as easy to use as others that i use.
2014-12-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

gnixon@comporiu Posted at 2014-12-31 05:23
rod, i cant find the other posts, would you mind sharing?  I'd LOVE a way to transport easily with t ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newest-D ... hash=item19f99e8cf5
Amazon might have some too.
2014-12-30
Use props
gnixon
lvl.4

United States

sorry, rod, nevermind, i found the HPRC case in your other post.  Thanks for sharing!!!  I am ordering now!
2014-12-30
Use props
allbritt
lvl.2

United States

The case is nice, but pricey$$.
I am looking into a round plastic wreath holder.   It wan't be as nice, but it will protect it with the prop guards installed.

2014-12-30
Use props
gnixon
lvl.4

United States

gerry, that one looks nice too (and is much cheaper cost wise) but i think im going to go with the one rod posted.  it isnt rigid (i'd prefer a rigid one) but it looks like the bird lays perfect inside of it and the one you posted says for vision+ (then again i assume that the form factors are not different enough that my P2V wouldnt fit but with my luck it would be less than perfect, so i think im going with the one rod posted).  maybe ill get a plain hard case to put the soft case into for more long distance travel

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pr ... ag_with_custom.html
2014-12-30
Use props
gnixon
lvl.4

United States

actually, after further review, i think i am going to go with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-H ... ision+Plus+X350+pro

it is more expensive but looks exactly like what i want (allows for guards and is rigid).  thanks for all the posts gang, this is such a great community of people to offer up ideas and assistance so generously.
2014-12-30
Use props
birdfolk
lvl.3

United States

Just use a trash bag.
I wanted to know if the prop guards could cause premature breaking of the plastic surrounding the motor housings in the event of a crash.
And Rod---I'm not doing power stunts.  The thing went berserk. Maybe this forum isn't the place for you, in my opinion.
2014-12-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Birdfolk

I nailed a tree on my third flight and just bent the prop guard requiring replacement but saving the prop.  Did no damage to the arm.

2014-12-30
Use props
rubenmail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1808064 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I have the guards and did some testing in both wind and not. For sure the Phantom react slower and are really less agile then without. I put them on when I film going in like a forrest and fly low and tight. I never use the strings as I did a small test where I on purpose hit a small tree low down with soft grass bellow. The string got stuck in the tree but when testing without it went just fine.

Then again I see the point if you are coming down hard over a tree the string might catch something and get stuck and maybe save it.  How good are you climbing trees? :-)

I also found testing that it creates turbulence when close to the ground and Im sure with about 95% that in wind it creats turbulence and that would be expected when the propps create a field of air and then the wind hits the guards and they almost (stronger wind) work as a wing that will cause problems flying.

Are you NEW to flying then there is the choice as it will as said above save your motors should you be so unlucky to get in a bad position, on the other side you fly something that does not have the full carateristics of a Phantom flying "normal".

Pleace excuse my spelling as im on a tmp. computer without speeeeelling cheeeeck :-)
2014-12-30
Use props
gnixon
lvl.4

United States

gerry is right.  in my opinion the prop guards will, in 100 crashes, SAVE more about your craft than they will CAUSE in terms of damage.  it is possible they could apply torque to the craft arm in certain circumstances, and in others, they could outright save it from total destruction in the first place by preventing a crash.  net net they are way better than they risk imho.
2014-12-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

gnixon@comporiu Posted at 2014-12-31 08:25
gerry is right.  in my opinion the prop guards will, in 100 crashes, SAVE more about your craft than ...

I used my guards for about 50 flight or so, until I became confident with the bird operating ok and my confidence also.  My new bird has them on now.  I call them my training wheels.
2014-12-30
Use props
birdfolk
lvl.3

United States

gnixon@comporiu Posted at 2014-12-31 08:25
gerry is right.  in my opinion the prop guards will, in 100 crashes, SAVE more about your craft than ...

Now THAT'S an answer.  Thank you.  I guess I already knew all that, though.  Just looking to see if anyone suspected prop guards were the cause of serious damage to the Phantom's arms, because of one crash.
I've been using the guards since day 3, (about a month ago)---and haven't had a crash since day 2, except for when it went berserk (day 6).  I don't care if I break a prop---I DO care if I break or crack an arm. Maybe the plastic will crack sooner just from added stress over time???  Oh well.  All the nice answers have convinced me to leave 'em on, for now.  I'll worry about other things.  Thanks, everyone.
2014-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules