Cold Weather Flights
1147 8 2016-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jwmulcahey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 396142 ft
United States

Hey all, I have a shoot tomorrow and we have beeen having much colder weather than we are used to seeing (down to -15 degree celcius). I am a bit nervous to get the inspire up in the sk, so i was just wondering what tips or tricks everybody has for a flight in -10 to -5 degree weather? I know the obvious tips such as keeping the batteries warm, watch battery voltage, return to home much earlier than normal, etc. My main concern is ice build up on the props in that kind of cold, has anybody had any exepreince with this that can share some insight and tricks?
2016-1-1
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would also like to know.

I found this but I am not sure if its 100% factual
Operating temp limitations:
Inspire 1 Aircraft  -10° To 40° C
Sony Camera  0° To 40° C
Radio Controller   -20° To 40° C

I went to fly this morning after leaving my aircraft in the trunk of my car outside overnight, and I was unable to take off and I got a message on the app saying "Battery too cold" It was cold but it wasn't in the negatives. (30 degrees F)
2016-1-1
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

I would honestly think that if the inspire 1 has been outside so long that ice has built up anywhere on it..... it has been outside too long.

I am pretty used to working with equipment in the cold weather it be a drone or any other sensitive equipment, the fundamentals will always be the same.

As you already know you'll need to keep that battery warm. Ive seen some pretty creative battery covers that have been custom built to help with this.

Every enviorment is different... and the environment changes from day to day and sometimes hour to hour.

You have to keep a diligent eye on you're equipment at those Temps..... get a feel to what type of flight time you're battery is giving you and fly accordingly.  

You will need to be extra diligent about inspecting the bird after it lands.... if there is ice or moisture anywhere on it,  you'll need swap it out for another bird or at least (postpone that particular task) and concentrate you're efforts elsewhere while the  inspire drys out and warms up...

Cold weather work is just that way.... I don't think it matters what profession you're in.  With time you will learn an efficent and safe process to work in those conditions. For example You will fly for an hour and let the bird warm up and concentrate on ground shots for awhile....

Make sure that you listen to the motors, do they sound clean and normal? Pay attention to the flight patterns of the equipment.... is the response time slow? are the controls acting out of the ordinary in anyway?  

You are outside of  Dji's published operating temp range....therefore any mishap is automatically going to be pilot error.( not only for warranty repair but also in any court of law)... its up to you you're consious  and you're pocket book to determine if the risk are  worth the reward.

2016-1-1
Use props
Jwmulcahey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 396142 ft
United States

I took my bird out for a low altitude test flight today at a local park with our temps being the lowest in the forecast and probably the rest of the winter months (4 degrees F) and everything performed quite well. There was sight drift while hovering and response time seemed normal, this was with keeping the battery in the car prior to flight. These are very extreme temperatures obviously, but I was curious how everything would perform before I get it up in the air 75-150 feet.
2016-1-2
Use props
Westwoodfilms.c
lvl.2

Canada

Make sure you have the latest firmware, keep the lipo's warm inside your jacket. And let it hover a minute so the battery and inspire can warm up.         -20 flight here no issues! https://youtu.be/J52QdqYjhl0
2016-1-2
Use props
AlaskanTides
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032293 ft
United States

Jwmulcahey Posted at 2016-1-1 23:10
I took my bird out for a low altitude test flight today at a local park with our temps being the low ...

Sounds like .....that's exactly like I would do.... A good test run at low altitude and a real good inspection of the motors and props after you land.....if humidity is going to be a problem I think you would see it around the motors first.... If There is no moisture build up and it's running fine ........I'd run with it and just make sure to land early for a qnew battery and a 5 minute  inspection......  Keep those batteries warm and be alert to what the birds telling you......... I doubt you'll have any issues
2016-1-2
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Another trick to keep batteries warm whilst in your pocket is to use those Handwarmer packets :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Ge ... armer/dp/B000MU4IJ2

or similar

2016-1-2
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

Watch for icing on your props and other surfaces of your craft.

2016-1-3
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Please, check this thread http://forum.dji.com/thread-35249-1-1.html
2016-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules