Do I have to have Mobile Data turned on, on my phone?
1319 6 2014-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tmgrood
lvl.2
United States

Since I am using the wireless on my phone when flying do I need to have mobile data turned on, on my phone?
I am thinking of buying a phone with a bigger screen than what I have right now and dedicate it only for use when flying my P2V.
So far I haven't noticed any purpose of having mobile data even turned on and half the time I have to turn off the Connections Optimizer on my phone because it interferes with my wireless signal.
This way I wouldn't have to sign up with any data plan with the new phone.
2014-12-29
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

tmgrood
I'm running an apple 10.1 inch screen for my monitor.  I don't have any data plan.  I just connect to my netgear router when I have to save a map or download the DJI vision APP.  You do not have to have any data plan on your phone.

My transmitter setup.jpg
file 2.jpg
2014-12-29
Use props
birdfolk
lvl.3

United States

No---Having mobile data enabled may cause phone to search for stronger signals, possibly interfering with your connection.
2014-12-29
Use props
tmgrood
lvl.2
United States

Thanks you guys. I didn't think so but wanted to make sure and I did notice it causes problems whenever I have the Connections Optimizer checked.
Wow. Hooking up a tablet? What a great idea. I may have to look into that.
2014-12-31
Use props
allbritt
lvl.2

United States

I am using my wife's older iphone and it is "disconnected from cell service or data".  I only use the wireless function  to download the vision app off itunes and it's been working great!
2014-12-31
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

allbritt@verizo Posted at 2015-1-1 02:29
I am using my wife's older iphone and it is "disconnected from cell service or data".  I only use t ...

Same with my tablets,  no wifi service at all.  If I have to connect to the internet, I do it at home connected wifi to my router.
2014-12-31
Use props
GaryDZ
lvl.3

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-1 02:39
Same with my tablets,  no wifi service at all.  If I have to connect to the internet, I do it at h ...

Same here. But when flying at home, after downloading maps, I "forget" my home network. If I don't do this and the signal from the Phantom gets weak at distance, my phone/tablet will connect back to my home router. Then I have to go into settings and switch it back - all while my bird is in the air.
2014-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules