Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-22 18:46
The drone is at my brother's place in France (I live in Netherlands but but it in France while vis ...

That does not matter, your brother can still get the aircraft data from the last flight by following the instructions in the app and uploading the last DAT file to Dropbox. MC Settings, Advanced Settings,  Enter Flight Data Mode, then connect aircraft to computer.
That DAT file you can send to DJI for analysis.
Sorry, just saw your later post stating that you got the crashed flight DAT file.
2016-1-22
Use props
marcoldekalter
New

Netherlands

What was the temperature (outside and from the battery) during your flight?

Gr Marc
2016-1-22
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112211 ft
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-22 16:25
That does not matter, your brother can still get the aircraft data from the last flight by followin ...

We already did that and send the link to the dat files:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iirfc ... O7ys-16-meSPSa?dl=0

FLY30.DAT is the fatal flight. The numbers after that I think are when the drone was started to find out if it still worked (gimbal started smelling) and getting the dat files.
2016-1-22
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

marcoldekalter@ Posted at 2016-1-22 16:27
What was the temperature (outside and from the battery) during your flight?

Gr Marc

outside I think 12C, temperature of the battery stopped reporting in the log file for the last 90 seconds.
2016-1-22
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

microcyb Posted at 2016-1-22 16:15
My guess it that the third party software used caused the crash.I have not tried any other software  ...

on what do you base that conclusion? Also from the internal drone files it shows that battery stopped giving data in the last 90 seconds of flight ...
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-22 23:33
We already did that and send the link to the dat files:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iirfcr3tabgssx1 ...

Wait and see what they say after analyzing the DAT file. And sorry for your crash.
I Just lost my P3 Pro this past weekend due to another P3 running into me
2016-1-22
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-22 16:39
Wait and see what they say after analyzing the DAT file. And sorry for your crash.
I Just lost my  ...

Thanks, I hope to get a respons soon. It is now three weeks since the crash ...

Sorry about your P3P. Flying with multiple drones is dangerous I suppose! I am a pilot and in aviation we have pretty specific rules about keeping planes in separate airways
2016-1-22
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-22 16:39
I Just lost my  ...

Looking at the data on healthy drones there is something strange. As you can see in the picture it shows two batteries, one with and one without serial number. But I only had one battery.

the flights after 1st Januari 2:33PM (day before the crash) do not show the serial number of the battery anymore. It would seem that something was wrong with the battery from that time on?
Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 16.57.42.png
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-23 00:02
Looking at the data on healthy drones there is something strange. As you can see in the picture it ...

The DAT files can only be read 100% properly by the DJI techs and their software. Healthy Drones is a cool feature to see data, but it is far from complete information that the DJI techs get from the DAT file.
2016-1-22
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-22 17:07
The DAT files can only be read 100% properly by the DJI techs and their software. Healthy Drones i ...

I understand. It might also be because the log files from Autopilot do not give the battery ID.
2016-1-22
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-22 09:36
on what do you base that conclusion? Also from the internal drone files it shows that battery stop ...

As a programmer, I have looked over the DJI API software for development.  I maybe wrong as it might be the battery that caused the fault, but the API tools used by third party companies might not be able to do the correct calculations for the batteries life/flight.  Do not get me wrong, I see the other apps out there and they look amazing, but I like to wait till most bugs are weeded out.
2016-1-22
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-1-22 12:18
As a programmer, I have looked over the DJI API software for development.  I maybe wrong as it mig ...

I have used the Litchi app since its first release exclusively for flying both a P2V+ and a P3P.  It is a solid piece of software and works flawlessly.  That is a lot of flights with no problems with the app.  It just may be that you are wrong.
2016-1-22
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

microcyb Posted at 2016-1-22 18:18
As a programmer, I have looked over the DJI API software for development.  I maybe wrong as it mig ...

I can imagine that the app would give wrong commands and make it uncontrollable due to a software failure (but than you can switch to P mode). I can not imagine that out of nothing the app gives the command to shut down the drone while in flight.
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-1-23 01:18

Correct, by using another app there could be a chance of an error that could cause a crash, doubtful but maybe possible.
2016-1-22
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2016-1-22 11:50
I have used the Litchi app since its first release exclusively for flying both a P2V+ and a P3P.   ...

Looks like a very solid app and since I have not yet tried it, hearing reviews about it helps correct my knowledge.

Thanks for that information on the Litchi app.  
2016-1-22
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-22 19:39
Correct, by using another app there could be a chance of an error that could cause a crash, doubtf ...

But does that not apply to all software, including the DJI software? ;-)

Problem is that accountability becomes fuzzy. There is third party software, DJI SDK, firmware and hardware. This is where good suppliers can shine by not being too fast in referring to others ;-)
2016-1-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-23 04:51
But does that not apply to all software, including the DJI software? ;-)

Problem is that accounta ...

Yes it does apply to all software. But if it happens with the GO app and it's been proved not to be pilot error after analyzing the DAT files, then you have a warranty repair.
2016-1-22
Use props
mjames
lvl.1

United States

what APP do you use to look at the log files? they have a .TSV extension.
2016-1-23
Use props
DJI-Patrick
Captain

Hong Kong

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-22 18:47
PS the DAT files I sent the link to are the latest files including the fatal flight

Hi , Martijn
Please ask your brother to restart the aircraft , it should creat a new .DAT file . Please give us the new file . Thank you very much !
2016-1-24
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI-Patrick Posted at 2016-1-25 01:59
Hi , Martijn
Please ask your brother to restart the aircraft , it should creat a new .DAT file . P ...

I have asked him. In the link I sent there are already some DAT files from after the fatal flight (Fatal flight was FLY030.DAT but the DAT files go on till FLY034.DAT)
2016-1-24
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hi , Martijn
Please ask your brother to restart the aircraft , it should creat a new .DAT file . P ...

I have added the files FLY035DAT to FLY039.DAT to this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iirfc ... O7ys-16-meSPSa?dl=0

I understood that it took quite some time to download these files involving fairly non-standard tools. Is there an easy way to download these files?
2016-1-25
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hi , Martijn

Dear Patrick,

It is now over three weeks ago that I send in the helpdesk report regarding the crash of my drone. A report that in my and others opinion clearly indicated a failure of the battery. Is there anytime soon an answer to be expected?
2016-1-26
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

Ken, Tim, Patrick, Any news yet?
2016-1-27
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-1-28 15:15
Ken, Tim, Patrick, Any news yet?

Martjin,  we will be contacting you via e-mail about this issue! Appreciate your patience!  
2016-1-28
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Just curious but how many cycles on this battery?
2016-1-28
Use props
1138studios
New
Flight distance : 58294 ft
United States

I'm not sure if you fellow DJI customers were aware of this or not, but apparently flying a DJI Phantom Pro3 over any body of water will now void your warranty if it crashes into it, even if the failure was due to a DJI failure of some sort and not user error.  After weeks of emails and phone calls to get DJI to replace mine today they sent me the following explanation for why they will not honor their warranty.

"Dear Gino Barasa

By choosing to fly the unit over open bodies of water, you run the risk of anything that may happen to the unit, whether it be user error, product malfunction, or some force of nature, it will not be repairable, and considered a total loss. If this were over open land, as we suggest, this would have been a simple repair, possibly, and more than likely covered by warranty.

By choosing to still fly the unit, after noticing possible issues, over a lake, I believe you are at least partially responsible."

So, even if the unit crashed due to "product malfunction" they will not honor their warranty if it lands in water, which is strange because you won't find that anywhere on their own website. But you will find a ton of images and videos of DJI drones flying over rivers, and lakes, and oceans and back yard pools.
The "possible issues" that they mention was a "critical battery failure that appeared on the flight previous to the crash. I landed the Phantom when the warning came on and switched out the battery.  I then flew the bird over my head a for a minute to see if the warning would come back on with a new battery, which it didn't. I then sent it out of the lake and it immediately shut off and dropped out of the sky about 50 feet away. I retrieved the wet drone and dried it out over 3 days. It powers up but has issues and DJI will not warranty the item despite the logs showing no user error, because - yes - I flew it over water - which is apparently a HUGE no no for all DJI product users.

Does that sound awesome to all of you or what?
2016-1-28
Use props
hugewino
lvl.1

Australia

Wow reading this thread Im going to rethink my choice of drone. This is appalling. Its like they're a home team constantly moving the goal posts at a football match to benefit themselves... Time to do some more research. Any other suggestions other than phantoms???
2016-1-28
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

SVTRay Posted at 2016-1-29 05:03
Just curious but how many cycles on this battery?

I think 15 but most times the battery was not completely empty
2016-1-29
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

1138studios Posted at 2016-1-29 06:03
I'm not sure if you fellow DJI customers were aware of this or not, but apparently flying a DJI Phan ...

I must say that when I see the email signature from the DJI support:

Thanks for choosing DJI
With kind regards,
DJI NL Technical Support

I can not completely suppress some ironic feelings ...
2016-1-29
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

Ken, Tim, Patrick,

Still no word from DJI Support ...
2016-2-1
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-1-29 04:42
Martjin,  we will be contacting you via e-mail about this issue! Appreciate your patience!

Hello Tim, Ken and Patrick,

Still no news yet from Support DJI NL...

2016-2-3
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-2-3 22:49
Hello Tim, Ken and Patrick,

Still no news yet from Support DJI NL...

Oh, sorry for the delay! Thanks for bringing it to me! I'll let our NL colleagues check it and contact you asap!
2016-2-3
Use props
Travis726
lvl.1
Flight distance : 600676 ft
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-3 20:06
Oh, sorry for the delay! Thanks for bringing it to me! I'll let our NL colleagues check it and con ...

with the prodrone byrd and autel xstar about to come out with pretty much the same features as the phantoms you guys may want to get your stuff together. I cant be the only one that was set on dji a month ago (not so much anymore).
edit: didnt mean to respond toyou specifically.
2016-2-4
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI-Tim Posted at 2016-2-4 04:06
Oh, sorry for the delay! Thanks for bringing it to me! I'll let our NL colleagues check it and con ...

Hello Tim (and Ken and Patrick),

It seems that it now all gets resolved. I have received an email from support EU that the data has been analysed and that I can send in the drone under warranty to get it replaced. I am happy with that.

I think it would be good if DJI makes clear how they deal with cases like this. I do have the feeling that the attention on the forum helped in rethinking the previous decision not to analyse log files due to the use of third party apps. DJI GO or third party app use should I think not ben important in relation to analysing log data to determine cause of failure.

I like the effort you guys make on the forum. Helpdesk and analytics can take an example from you ;-)
2016-2-5
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

martijn.kriens Posted at 2016-2-5 16:37
Hello Tim (and Ken and Patrick),

It seems that it now all gets resolved. I have received an email ...

Thanks you for feedback here! We are glad  your case got solved! Customer satisfaction is important for us!
2016-2-5
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

Glad to see this eventually got resolved!
2016-2-9
Use props
msoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460522 ft
United States

Glad DJI is taking ownership of their products and problems. Its sad that DJI tried to put the blame on you. You always hear a good outcome but it takes lots of other owners to chime in here to get results. Now that DJI is going to replace your Phantom, you never hear back of what caused the problem in the first place. I think this type of information is crucial to other Phantom owners.
2016-2-9
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

msoto Posted at 2016-2-9 19:09
Glad DJI is taking ownership of their products and problems. Its sad that DJI tried to put the blame ...

Well, we are not there yet. It still is a bit slow to get the information to send in the crashed drone and hope (and strongly expect) that I get a replacement instead of a repaired drone back. When it crashes due to hardware failure after three days it would be a shame to end up with a repaired one.

Hope the story finishes soon now. I understand that the chinese new year is a bit of a threshold ;-)

But I agree that more information on how and why would be nice. Just as a clear statement about the use of third party apps in relation to warranty.
2016-2-9
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

We are almost there!

DJI picked up my crashed drone in France some time ago and delivered a new drone to my house in the Netherlands. Unfortunately it turned out that the battery kept complaining about a broken cell in the battery that needed to be replaced. Luckily I now have some special email addresses from DJI EU that are quite fast in reacting in helping (thanks Judy!). The faulty battery has been picked up by UPS and I suppose a new one will arrive in the mail soon.

In the meantime I have bought an extra battery so I could fly. Drone seems to work perfectly!

2016-2-27
Use props
martijn.kriens
lvl.2
Netherlands

And finally the replacement battery has arrived so I am complete after the crash exactly two months ago. Unfortunately of the day when I would have wished to have waited and buy a Phantom 4 but that is the fate of all gadget lovers ;-)
2016-3-2
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules