Won't power on after crash
1837 19 2014-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
daniel.wible
New

United States

New Phantom 2 pilot...   Soft crash into a tree under power.  Unit powered itself off, fell relatively softly - but the battery did pop out.  (Which is strange because the battery is very stiff to remove.)  There is no visible physical damage.  Battery (removed from drone) powers on normally.  But when battery is in the drone and I try to power on, all LEDs on all 4 arms flash VERY briefly - there is a small "plink" noise (from somewhere in the central area?) - then everything shuts down.  It's like there's a short causing a breaker to trip.  How can I diagnose?  And how in the world could a minor crash (NO visible damage) cause a short???
2014-12-29
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

China

connect to the assistant software and check any notifications
2014-12-29
Use props
daniel.wible
New

United States

DJI-Dboy Posted at 2014-12-30 14:43
connect to the assistant software and check any notifications

Sorry for dumb questions, but how can I do anything with the drone via the Assistant sw if the drone won't power on?  

I did connect and executed the failing power-up cycle (plink!).  I can find no notifications.

(Where should I be looking for the notifications in Assistant v3.6?)
2014-12-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

daniel.wible@gm Posted at 2014-12-30 20:19
Sorry for dumb questions, but how can I do anything with the drone via the Assistant sw if the dro ...

Check the plug in the Phantom that the battery plugs in.  There are 2 small push pins there.  I damaged one of them just taking the battery out.  Make sure they will push in and extend back out.  They are spring loaded.
2014-12-30
Use props
daniel.wible
New

United States

Thanks for the fast reply.  I checked the battery connections as you said and all looks correct.  The spring-loaded pins are straight and move freely.

Still don't understand where notifications would show up in Phantom II Assistant
2014-12-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

daniel.wible@gm Posted at 2014-12-30 20:47
Thanks for the fast reply.  I checked the battery connections as you said and all looks correct.  Th ...

"But when battery is in the drone and I try to power on, all LEDs on all 4 arms flash VERY briefly - there is a small "plink" noise (from somewhere in the central area?) - then everything shuts down"

How long does it stay powered on before it goes off?
2014-12-30
Use props
daniel.wible
New

United States

1/10th of a second.  Maybe less.  I will post a short video
2014-12-30
Use props
porschett
lvl.2

United States

Take off the top cover. You'll find something that looks like this!
Board1.jpg
2014-12-30
Use props
daniel.wible
New

United States

Does this look fried?    (This is the worst of the 4 and it is nearly pristine.)

I also posted two 5-second videos on youtube of the "plink"
http://youtu.be/qlwPxoNK4zE
http://youtu.be/HR2LAqTJNzQ
2014-12-30
Use props
porschett
lvl.2

United States

ESC         
2014-12-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

daniel.wible@gm Posted at 2014-12-31 00:59
Does this look fried?    (This is the worst of the 4 and it is nearly pristine.)

I also posted two  ...

ok, I've seen the videos.  Have you taken off the top and looked inside for any loose plugs or any burning indications on the ESC's (circuit boards) near the motors?
2014-12-30
Use props
daniel.wible
New

United States

Yes.  Nothing loose.  Nothing burned.  Checked all ESCs  
2014-12-30
Use props
daniel.wible
New

United States

OK I guess I will buy 4 new ESCs and a soldering iron.  I'm pessimistic because if I don't have an ESC problem before all that intrusive work, I'll bet I have an ESC problem after.

THANK YOU for your help.  I will let you know how it comes out.
2014-12-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

daniel.wible@gm Posted at 2014-12-31 01:08
Yes.  Nothing loose.  Nothing burned.  Checked all ESCs

And the wiring from the plug to the circuit board? Did all that also look good?  1 other thing,  is this battery that keeps shutting off, the one involved in the crash, or does this do it with any battery?
2014-12-30
Use props
daniel.wible
New

United States

Yes all that wiring looks good.

I only have one battery.  Which seems to operate normally outside the Phantom.  

I guess I will buy 4 ESCs and a battery.  And try the new battery first - before I start soldering.

Thanks for your help
2014-12-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

daniel.wible@gm Posted at 2014-12-31 01:26
Yes all that wiring looks good.

I only have one battery.  Which seems to operate normally outside t ...

I would just get the battery first.  Since this was the battery involved in the crash,  have you eyeballed the plug contacts?  The 2 vertical slots and the 2 small contacts where the push pins make contact.  Does this battery stay on when it is not in the Phantom?  Push once quickly and push again and hold.  The lights should all stay on.  The shut off procedure is the same as the start.
2014-12-30
Use props
daniel.wible
New

United States

Yes, all battery contacts look good.  And the on/off behavior is normal by the book.   Press -->  PressAndHold  -->  (lights stay on).   Press  -->  PressAndHold  -->  (lights go off)
2014-12-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

daniel.wible@gm Posted at 2014-12-31 01:33
Yes, all battery contacts look good.  And the on/off behavior is normal by the book.   Press -->  Pr ...

So the defect must be in the Phantom,  I would call the place you purchased it or an email and tell them what happened and what we discovered with some trouble shooting and see what they can do.
2014-12-30
Use props
porschett
lvl.2

United States

You don't have to replace all 4, just the one where you're having the problem with the motor. Same thing on mine, took 15 minutes to repair.
2014-12-30
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

China

an explicit video
try to contact your dealer if they can help the repairment.
2014-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules