o(^-^)o
Flipperman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4224925 ft
United Kingdom

Anyone tried these ?

TACO-RC ND filters set (ND4/8/16/32) for DJI Phantom 3 Professional Advance

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015 ... p_awd_TaAIwbN96JWTG

Seem good value compared to DJI original ?
2016-1-3
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

These seem to make the video blurry which is the desired effect for true cinematographers, I  for one enjoy the crisp views with 4k.  
There is a review on  filters on you tube for Phantom 3 Pro, this bloke seemed to really know his business.  Sorry I cant post the link.

Cheers Donnie
2016-1-3
Use props
Flipperman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Donnie Posted at 2016-1-3 23:34
These seem to make the video blurry which is the desired effect for true cinematographers, I  for on ...

Thanks Donnie - I think this is what you're referring to. If not - still a nice easy explanation for simple folk like myself

2016-1-4
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

Yes Flipperman  this is exactly the video I was referring to. I thought a lot about filters before I saw this and I just don't think there for me.

I did however, by proxy ,  order a shade for  the camera  because it came with a gimbal guard .  I will let you know if that is worthwhile. ( My opinion at least)

Cheers Donnie.
2016-1-4
Use props
scottdrmyers
lvl.2

Canada

Honestly, the PolarPro filters are the way to go. I've tried a few and these gave the best results.
2016-1-4
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

Hey Flipperman,

What Donnie calls "blurry" is more often referred to as "motion blur" by pro videographers. It's something that occurs naturally with a lot of classic video equipment, but not with more modern / alternate video devices, such as a GoPro, a DSLR camera with video capability, and camera such as those on our P3s.

With DSLR camera especially, they've been dealing with this for years. With such a camera, one can set a lower shutter speed without ND filters using manual shutter controls, but that means having to compensate with a closed down lens aperture to get a proper exposure, so there's a trade off. (If you slowed down the shutter without compensating with another setting, you would over-expose the image, because you're letting in more light.)

The ND filters have been around for a long while for still photography, useful for purposes other than slowing down a shutter speed for video. And since they've been available for a long while, they because useful for video purposes right away, since DSLR photographers often already had them in the bag. So they use the ND filters to slow down the shutters, without having to use smaller lens apertures (which may or may not be undesirable).

But you can't change the lens aperture on the P3 camera, so you MUST use an ND filter if you want to slow down the shutter.

They're a new thing for UAV photography and without it, you're not going to get that same visual effect of motion that more closely resembles what motion looks like with our eyes.

The confusion of slow shutter speed vs. high frame rates: you can have some higher frame rates and still have slower shutter speed per frame. However, there's a limit: doing the math in your head, you can probably guess that the higher frame rate you go, the less likely you're going to be able to use a slower shutter, because the time between frames is too quick to allow it.

Also, the PolarPro filters have polarization versions of the ND filters, which will aid you if you're shooting around a lot of reflections on glass or water.

Chris
2016-1-4
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

I was just going to say that Not A Speck Of

Cheers Donnie
2016-1-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have both DJI and Polar pro filters and like them both
2016-1-4
Use props
Flipperman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-1-4 16:05
Hey Flipperman,

What Donnie calls "blurry" is more often referred to as "motion blur" by pro videog ...

Thanks for the info
2016-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules