Any issues piloting the Phantom while in motion?
1398 11 2016-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Raptorz102
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2058543 ft
United States

Hey everybody,

I live near a lake that is 5 miles in length and thought it would be cool toget a full length video shot. Obviously 5 miles is outside of the Phantoms range so I thought of an idea.  My plan was to sit passenger in a car while traveling along the lake and pilot the drone down the middle.  Any issues with being mobile while piloting?
2016-1-3
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No .. except that you have to be aware of where your home point is.
You can reset the home point during the flight so that any RTH isn't going to fly back to the start of the flight.
2016-1-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Flying 5 miles down the middle of a lake sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. And ask yourself if it is worth the risk, 5 miles of water sounds boring.
2016-1-3
Use props
Raptorz102
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2058543 ft
United States

Thanks Labroides.

I understand the risk.  Since I live on the lake 80% of my videos are on water and I know the odds.  This was simply an idea I had...still not committed to it yet.

Thanks for the advice!
2016-1-4
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

Not issues while moving, but you can get transmission issues if you don't point correctly your antennas while moving.
Can you post the gmap of the lake? Maybe you can use a position somewhere in the middle.
2016-1-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

First off you will have to keep adjusting your home point along the route either aircraft or TX home point will be fine. If you don't adjust your home point then the aircraft will only go as far as it can and have enough battery to come home. (you can turn off Smart Go Home) and it will forget about the low battery RTH)
As long as you have your antennas pointed correctly, it seems pretty easy. Just hope you don't get any insane interference along the way. If the road your driving on is really wide and nothing is overhead along the route like telephone wires if you do lose signal and a RTH is initiated then it should just land in the middle of the street wherever your last home point was set.But since I work for DJI and if I crash mine I can easily fix it. If your aircraft is your baby and it was very expensive for you then I'd think twice about it.
2016-1-4
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

stupid question time!

Can you not set a GS mission or something to have it take off from point "A" , fly to point "B", drive like hell to beat it to point "B" and take over control at the other side?
2016-1-4
Use props
frericksjim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 297618 ft
United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-1-4 14:37
stupid question time!

Can you not set a GS mission or something to have it take off from point "A"  ...

Use follow Me mode?
2016-1-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

But get then its drone camera would aim itself at the travelling vehicle and not the water side.
Unless you were in or on a boat. Ha

I still want to do a Follow Me while on a rYde with my SpYder RS-S. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-1-4
Use props
frericksjim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 297618 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-1-4 16:15
But get then its drone camera would aim itself at the travelling vehicle and not the water side.
Unl ...

You can turn the drone after its in follow me mode and point it anywhere you want.  I have done it.  
2016-1-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yeah, I usually just fly it, for that convenience. Seems like Follow Me should remain on target...
Anyway, always something to look forward to, it seems. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-1-4
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Also, if your lake is like most, it will be surrounded by trees.  Those trees will attenuate the control signal considerably, and you COULD lose control signal, sending it into RTH.
2016-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules